Home Main Category Hunting

Bird Killing Machine!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 28,048 Senior Member
edited September 2018 in Hunting #1
I gave my boy a Remington 870 20ga Compact shotgun for his birthday. Something that fit him and he could grow into as he gets bigger because it comes with spacers and such. Well, turns out the shotgun was broken from the factory without a shot fired. That really sucks!  Gonna have to call Remington on Tuesday and see about sending it back. 

Anyway, dove season opened this weekend and it was my boy’s first time hunting them. Plan was to use his new shotgun. But, as it’s broken, he had to use one of mine. A CZ 20ga SxS. 

A little long in the stock and front heavy for him. But, we worked through the methods of mounting and swinging the gun. 

Yesterday was his first time EVER shooting a shotgun!  And his first time ever hunting birds on the wing. Today was his second. 

The Little Bastard is Running 75% on hits. 

10 shots for 7 birds and in reality, two of them were Hail Mary shots I told him to take yesterday at the start. Just to get practice swinging and feeling the recoil. So, they were too far away and I new it. If you just count realistic shots...........he’s 7 birds for 8 shots. 

Damn. 

I won’t shoot a shotgun around him. I’d embarrass myself. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    That's great!

The fit and finish on those guns is spectacular for the price.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,554 Senior Member
    Awesome
    Better than I have done with doves
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    Clays or trap in the schools is the fastest growing sport, tell him 'atta boy and his dad needs a new shotgun.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,275 Senior Member
    Now there's the way to get them started...Well done young man!...Great job Dad!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,692 Senior Member
    Ummmm. . .when did he get BIG???

Good that you got him going now.  I know lots of wingshooters that can't rifle and lots of rifle guys that can't wingshoot.  I don't know if the fact I can do both is down to early exposure, but I'm glad I had it.

As to a brand new youth shotgun that's malfunctioning out of the box:  these are sold as first guns. . .as gift guns. . . as potentially REALLY INFLUENTIAL guns.  If anything in that price bracket should get a Holland & Holland level of pre-ship inspection and function checks, it's those.  I usually avoid this phrase, but "THERE OUGHTA BE A LAW!"   :#
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    That is mighty fine wing shooting. That is the type of shooting that makes a kid love the shooting sports, because he actually gets to shoot a lot, instead of preparing and waiting, and then waiting some more.

Good job, pop.

• JayJay Senior Member New Mexico/TexasPosts: 4,545 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #8
    Excellent. Nice job! Along with some good instruction, it seems he has a lot of natural talent. Bird shooting isn’t something you can totally teach. There are the mechanics of it, but speed, direction and distance all change shot after shot and is something that takes talent and usually experience to get good at. Good job, Zee Jr. 👍
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,820 Senior Member
    Excellent. I consider anything approaching 50% on dove to be outstanding. I knew a guy who honestly averaged day in and day out 75-80% on dove and even better on pheasants. It was truly a pleasure to watch him shoot.

I've always been a fair hand with a rifle, but at one time was absolutely deadly with a shotgun. Then I moved to Colorado and got into longrange pdogs and benchrest. That pretty much ruined my shotgun skills. By the time I feel comfortable pulling the trigger, my target has long since migrated to South America.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,048 Senior Member
    I didn’t even fire a shot the last two days. 
    1. I was helping him determine which dove we could shoot (Special Whitewing Season - Ringneck are free game as an invasive species.)
    2. I was coaching him through the shots as to when to stand and present, stepping into and leaning forward, etc.
    3. I’d have embarrassed myself by missing every bird I shot at. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    ...and he’s just getting started 
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,340 Senior Member
    Great start to whats hopefully a long and pleasant shotgunning career.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,220 Senior Member
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    He looks a lot like you
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,304 Senior Member
    Very nice job, both of you!

I like going dove scaring.  I cant call it hunting since the birds are pretty safe, but I do startle the heck out of them!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Get ready: wait until he starts shooting upland birds with that scattergun.  You’ll be splitting time with deer season before you know it.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,399 Senior Member
    Excellent start to a successful bird hunting career Zee.
    I started my 'shooting' career with a shotgun in my hand and although I love both rifles and 'scatterguns' hunting with a shotgun is my first preference.

You need to make arrangements for an addition to the family.............A Bird Dog!!!

Aint nothing better than taking boys/mans best friend out in the field for a day chasing birds.

Tell your boy there will always be a spot in my duck boat for him if he/you both ever get over here for duck shooting.
    ( I promise to post up only his results........)

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Six-Gun said:
    Get ready: wait until he starts shooting upland birds with that scattergun.  You’ll be splitting time with deer season before you know it.
    Being as there are no upland birds in my neck of the woods, I’m safe. 
    Contacted Remington today and explained how the transfer bars were bypassing the locking mechanism on the BRAND NEW gun and opening the action. 

Rhey said that yes, that gun was unsafe to shoot.  Well.......duh!

They sent me a return form and shipping label. Said they would get it fixed as soon a possible so my son could use it for dove hunting. 

😒

Shipped it out this afternoon. 
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    It seems the little cz fits him better than you thought. Most people shoot guns that don't fit properly. Especially shotguns if people would get fitted properly they would be suprised at how much longer the lop actually needs to be.
    He has trouble mounting the CZ and tires quickly trying to hold the long gun out front. 

He needs something shorter for now. 
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    Looking just at the pics with him knelt down the gun does look a little big.  Either way keep up the good work.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    He has trouble mounting the CZ and tires quickly trying to hold the long gun out front. 

He needs something shorter for now. 
    I tend to shoot better starting from a low hold and then calling my bird on the clays range and then mounting and shooting all in one motion, maybe let him work on that awhile, he seems to have it dialed in, he is obviously getting his face on the stock each time, let him work with the CZ a bit more.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Zee said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Wait until he discovers shooting preserves...
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,564 Senior Member
    So many warm fuzzy's here.
    I am so happy for both of you.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:
    Six-Gun said:
    I would have thought there would be quail all over the place down there...
    Shows ya how much I know. No idea quail were “Upland Game Birds”. Thought they were just.......quail. Ha!

Yeah. We got quail. But, we shoot them with .22s on the ground. 

😎
    You really ought to try shooting a few with a shotgun....in the air...
    Done it before with dogs. But, I don’t have dogs. So..........sniping it is. 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,676 Senior Member
    Good work!

What sort of sight do you have mounted on the CZ? I've got the same gun.