Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Kavanaugh conformation hearing.......

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    After watching the hearing for a while, I've got the impression that Ford is an airhead and speaks like someone with an associates in liberal arts rather than a doctorate in criminal psychology. She claimed that she never intended to go public with her allegations but then why would she contact Feinstein with them? Kavanaugh seems to be doing a pretty good job defending himself so far. It appears that Ford has been heavily manipulated by Feinstein.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,368 Senior Member
    Kavanaugh is just furious, he is spitting nails mad his family and reputation has been smeared, I just caught his conversation with Feinstein on the way to the bank, GO JUDGE!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member

timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yes, he came out swinging.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    edited September 2018 #126
    That lady may of very well had something bad/traumatic happen to her 36 years ago, but don't believe the judge was the one who did it.

She was credible, but seemed slow on understanding questions and "Teenage-ish" in her behavior. Not the answers or demeanor I'd expect from a PHD and professor.

She also took many flights so that was just malarkey her fear of flying to delay the process...........probably dreamed up by her lawyers.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,090 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:..."Teenage-ish" in her behavior...   
    Let me guess: Face***k user?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,161 Senior Member
    I would have told the whole bunch of them what they could do with themselves right there on national TV...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #129
    Ford was a lousy witness. She was pretty clueless with answers and couldn't/wouldn't answer some questions.

Kavanaugh, in his opening statement, came out swinging hard. He had answers for the questions and was quick to defend any of his friends who were being impugned by the Democrats.

One thing that totally pissed me off was that the Democrats kept asking him to contact the White House and have them put the brakes on and requests the White House get the FBI investigated the charges. Now follow me here. Party X accuses Party Y of wrongdoing. Then Party X demands that Party Y call the cops on himself. What a crock! Those Dem. Senators didn't appear to be in full body casts, and they could certainly talk, so it would seem on its face that the Democrat Senators should heave up off their dead asses and onto their dying feet and DO THEIR JOB by asking the FBI to investigate if they feel it is necessary. The FBI will submit the interviews but will not submit a conclusion. That is the job of the Senators.

Biggest surprise in the hearing for me is that Lindsey Graham found some testicular fortitude, got wound up, and let the Democrats have it with both, barrels, reloaded, and let fly again. About time.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,916 Senior Member
    I have some newfound respect for Lindsey on this one.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Graham (R-SC) gave one hell of a speech ... but the last senator to speak Kennedy (R-LA) sure knew how to end it basically asking Kavanaugh if he believes in God and if there was any truth to any of the 3 allegations they have received ... and allowing Kavanaugh to say NO so help him God!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    All of this over someone supposedly pulling his willie out 35 years ago and brought to you by the same folks that wanted to allow men in the little girls room. This country is so ****.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #133
    His prediction of this process for future nominees is spot on. Anyone following this sees this for what it is. The rest dont care. My point being his reputation remains intact I believe. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

I only watched Kavanaugh's testimony.  According to the Fox News talking heads, though, Ford offered credible testimony.  But, to his credit, I thought that Kavanaugh did very well.  In the end, though, I don't think it's going to change anyone's minds.  Those who want to believe Kavanaugh, will still believe him, and vice versa.  What it might do is allow some on the fence Republicans a credible avenue to vote for confirmation without hurting themselves with their constituents.  I also  think it will help red state senators running for re-election enough breathing room to vote against Kavanaugh and not lose too many votes.   Hopefully, the handful of republican senators who are on the fence will vote for him.

BTW, does anyone know what the heck Senator Flake was trying to say?  Maybe he was just hedging his bet.

From what I saw, the dems had 3 lines of questioning.

- why doesn't the judge call for an FBI investigation.  For a change, Grassley grew a pair and defended him a time or two.

- Did you get drunk to the point of losing your memory while in high school or college?

-  What about your high school year book?

I also agree with others about Senator Graham.  He really showed up and let 'em have it with both barrels.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,942 Senior Member
    Our dem senator would really like to see no voting before the election because if she votes no on Kavanaugh she may very well lose, she may just have to hold her nose and vote to confirm if they get that far.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,368 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I would have told the whole bunch of them what they could do with themselves right there on national TV...
    He should have thanked them for making his 10 year old be a better person than they will ever be
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 347 Member
    My respect for Graham grew 1000% but then he called the dem senators colleagues so I would say a firm 250%.  I would say sue them for liable but he's to much of a gentleman and wants to be done with it.  I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.  Would a "cup check" qualify as sexual assault?  If so I've got a few dozen names from my sophomore year playing high school football.  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,398 Senior Member
    While on the road yesterday I listened to the hearings a bit. I am so ashamed of those senate members that were on attacking the judge. Why the people of this country put up with that crap is way beyond my understanding. Cleaning out the crazies crooks stupid lazy people in all the forms of government is going to be a big long term job.
    They are like rats .... you never get rid of them all but if you do nothing you loose everything.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

Someone posted part of the Ford testimony on Facebook, so I got to watch that.  It was interesting to see the difference in how both sides treated her as opposed to him.

From what I saw, the repubs deferred to the attorney they found to do their questioning.  She raised some good points on inconstant statements made by Ford, but basically treated her with kid gloves.  The dem senators questioned her themselves, and had nothing but praise for her being such a courageous woman.  Some of them, such as Blumenthal from Connecticut, had already stated he believed her, and reiterated that sentiment during his allotted time.

OTOH, the dems came down hard on the judge, and the repubs realized they needed to NOT let the attorney use their allotted time but rather question the judge themselves.  For the most part, they were extremely sympathetic to Kavanaugh.

It was most definitely a 3 ring circus.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    New level of political ugliness has been reached in America. It's disgusting and rips at the heart of our country, they should be ashamed.

Good news is he will most likely get confirmed. He could be sworn in as early as Tuesday after the senate votes. I'm sure they won't waste any time getting him sworn in at the WH.

Dr Ford musta had something bad happen to her sometime in her life by someone. I think she has issues, but from what she said and the lack of collaboration by anyone I think she is confused.

Now, what will they do next to try to try and stop the judge before he is sworn in?  

cpj said:
    Old Ron said:
    They are like rats .... you never get rid of them all but if you do nothing you loose everything.
    Over the past history of this country, Has it gotten better or worse? The answer is worse. So, tell me how it’s going to change? Especially when people vote STRICTLY by party lines?
    The answer?
    It won’t. 
    Power has corrupted people for all time ..... the big difference is now they don't try to hide how corrupt & crazy they are. We are in a cycle of overstepping now & it will change & go the other way because people are really getting sick of the corruption & waste of hard earned money. People that do not pay in should not be able to vote. They vote for who will give them more for not working. No laws should ever be passed that isn't for all.
    Oh crap you got me going there.
    Bottom line is it can & will change for the better.
    Now they (Dems) are screeching about impeachment.

First off, something has to have happened to reach the level of high crimes and misdemeanors. 

The procedure to impeach a SCOTUS is the same. It takes a majority of the house of REPs and a super majority of 67 votes in the senate. Unlikely to happen for Kavanaugh or Trump.

I should say the House can vote to impeach (As with Bubba) and the Senate has to convict to remove them from office.
    cpj said:
    Old Ron said:
    Over the past history of this country, Has it gotten better or worse? The answer is worse. So, tell me how it’s going to change? Especially when people vote STRICTLY by party lines?
    The answer?
    It won’t. 
    As a conservative leaning voter, there is no other choice for me. Maybe if there was a libertarian I thought could win, I would vote him/her, but I hope you're not suggesting voting for a Dimmoralrat is even a choice. My sigline describes my opinion of Dimmoralrats.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Things that make you go hmmmm ...

This piece was sent to me and takes a little to get thru but this lady does make me think about the whole system’s condition now. While I do not see all her points she does make me think about how things are orchestrated. Some of her quotes I am sure are not in full text but I do see something in them.

https://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2018/09/the-truth-about-brett/

“Kavanaugh is a favorite of the establishment. Judge Andrew Napolitano rightly called Kavanaugh a “swamp pick.” He said that Kavanaugh was the “heart and soul of the DC establishment.” He said that Kavanaugh is “a big government guy.” Napolitano also quoted Kavanaugh as repeatedly saying that “the President [ANY President] can do no wrong.” Baldwin also points to what he says was Kavanaugh’s role in covering up the murder of Vincent Foster and his defense of mass surveillance.

The definitive piece on Judge Kavanaugh and why he offers merely the illusion of change, however, was written in July of this year, long before an apparently troubled woman came forward with hard-to-substantiate accusations against the judge. In Don’t Place Your Bets on Brett, Dr. Droleskey wrote:

Kavanaugh will be confirmed despite all of the huffing and puffing by Senate Democrats and despite all of the well-organized “demonstrations” and “protests” that have been staged by groups associated with and funded by the tentacles of billionaire George Soros.

My own first reaction upon reading the news of Brett Michael Kavanaugh’s nomination was, “Great. Trump has nominated a somewhat more “conservative” version Anthony McLeod Kennedy to replace Anthony McLeod Kennedy. Wonderful.” Obviously, this was sarcasm on the part of a displaced New Yorker. The point, however, is this: Brett Michael Kavanaugh has been part of the Washington, District of Columbia, establishment since his birth on February 12, 1965.

He continues later in the piece:

Brett Michael Kavanaugh is one of the architects of the unconstitutional “Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism [Patriot]Act of 2001” that was passed by Congress on October 26, 2001, at the behest of the statist “conservative” President George Walker Bush in the aftermath of the tragic events that unfolded on Tuesday, September 11, 2001. This unconstitutional act, whose full title is an Orwellian monstrosity, was created to give the government of the United States of America the full authority to spy on us all, thus bartering legitimate human liberties in the name of an illusory sense of “national security.” Such must ever be he work of Trotsykites, who are prone to curb legitimate freedoms and increase the surveillance powers of the civil state in increments.

If these and other observations are true ... while Kavanuagh might be a conservative Associate Justice ... he is not the savior of the Republic. While his confirmation would offer a decent hedge against the ultra-left running all over the Constitution (which the SCOTUS basic job is to protect) does he offer the protection from end around from the big government right?

“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Kavenaugh was a rich, entitled, drunk, ivy league frat boy. Basically the villan of every 70's and 80's teen comedy, so he fits right in Washington. Give him his vote and end this circus. 
    I don't have any problem at all believing this as its in line with my established beliefs. The thing is, it not only makes him no worse than his constituents, peers, and examiners, but he could in fact be far superior.
    The Democrats on the committee kept asking why Kavanaugh didn't request the White House to request the hearing be put in abeyance and request an FBI investigation. That is a ridiculous and moronic request, and they know it. It is NOT the job of the accused candidate to request an investigation; it is the ABSOLUTE JOB OF THE JUDICIAL COMMITTEE, singly or as a partial group to request the FBI investigation. This play by the Democrats was nothing more than grandstanding; they're about as despicable, hateful, and worthless as it gets.

Partisan politics was a mess that the founding fathers warned against, yet it didn't take long for that partisan politics to rear its ugly head and  make a mockery of the government and the Constitution. Want to change that? Then you're going to have to be willing to participate in a 'hard reset' of the government. Think Revolutionary War II, as that is the only real means left to get back the Constitutional Republic.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I'll take the judges word over that lying fool any day of the week. Not just because the judge is a conservative that I favor for the SC, but that he is soooooo much more credible than that so=called doctor that spoke like a 17 year old girl. Does she fly or not? Her so-called "witnesses" don't recall a damn thing regarding her testimony. I rest my case, your honor..... :D
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Here's a couple of things you might find interesting.

Corey Booker bragging about groping a girl in 1984.

https://www.commonsenseevaluation.com/2018/09/28/cory-bookers-column-about-groping-a-girl/

Video of Sheila Jackson Lee passing a 'fat envelope' to one of Ford's lawyers. What was in the envelope? Bet it contained more than a love note.

https://www.commonsenseevaluation.com/2018/09/27/sheila-jackson-lee-slips-christine-blasey-fords-lawyer-an-envelope-during-hearing/

― Douglas Adams