Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Parkland Shooting: recent developement

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,886 Senior Member
Mods, feel free to move this, but I'm posting it here because I have a feeling it could turn political.

Seems Broward SO deputies stayed outside during the shooting due to a flat out improper radio call from SRO Peterson.

From the article:
“If you’re a responding Broward Sheriff's deputy, and you have the deputy that’s on campus, who’s there in the best position, telling you what to do — i.e. lockdown intersections, they’re going to do what the guy who’s on campus is telling them to do,” said Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, chairman of the commission. “Coral Springs didn’t hear that direction. So Coral Springs is coming right in. Why are they coming right in? Because they weren’t hearing this nonsense direction about locking down intersections.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-fdle-officer-20180904-story.html

I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,185 Senior Member
    This was on the local news yesterday.  They actually had security cam footage and went through second by second of what Deputy Peterson did while Cruz was in the building.  While Cruz was on the first floor, Peterson was right outside the door and did nothing. As Cruz went up the stairs to the 2nd floor, Peterson did nothing.  Then after shooting people on the 2nd floor Cruz went to the 3rd floor and shot more people as Peterson moved away from the building and took cover.Watching the video, Peterson could have opened the door and shot Cruz as he entered the area to go up to the 2nd floor.
    Watching it with the timer going in the corner, i stood up and was yelling at the TV.  I know it is easy to sit at home now and say what should have been done.  But Deputy Peterson was close enough to know exactly where the shooter was and could have easily taken action against him. He was close enough that his sidearm would have been plenty to take out the shooter before he even knew the Deputy was there.  No wonder the parents and people that have seen the entire video footage are so angry.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sounds like the whole thing was a 'Comedy of errors' starting with the over 30 times the SD was called about and/or visited his residence, the FBI not pursuing tips about him, the school board and SD having an agreement not to arrest students to make their stats look better and culminating with this deputy not doing his job.

If there were ever 'Warning signs/indicators' screaming to be acted on, that shooter was the mother lode.

The easy thing is to blame the gun, not the individual who committed that heinous act.

Even after all of the above warnings were pretty much ignored, to top it off that deputy's decision to not engage the shooter and do the very job he was being paid to do and sworn to do is despicable to say the least.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!