Home Main Category Hunting

Spreading humor wherever I go......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberA true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,399 Senior Member
edited September 2018 in Hunting #1
Am sitting at white cross waiting to see a Dr and watching the nurses crack up with laughter over my injury. 
They have never had someone write down that ' I was field dressing a deer I had just shot and as I cut out its anus, the deer slipped down the hill and the knife sliced my finger to the bone'

That's me,  bringing humor wherever I go..........😂

Pics will follow.......

Btw,  that's the second time I have cut myself with the knife you sent me Paul......

Oh, the deer didnt survive the rectomy.  Fallow spiker shot at 244m with an 80gr Remington factory load from the T3x 243.
Bullet entered it's right side just behind the shoulder, took out the lungs and severed the heart arteries. Deer ran around in a circle on the side of the hill then lay down before rolling downhill into the scrub.  Shot could have been an inch or two higher but it was blowing around 25 knots.........

Field dressing. Didnt have my first aid kit with me but a clean plastic bag cut up, a piece of plastic over the wound, a couple of wraps of toilet paper to soak up the blood, another piece of plastic tied over the toilet paper and a vinyl glove over the hand meant I could finish field dressing the animal with help from BH and Dave.

The cut.......... The Dr asked me if I wanted an anaesthetic before he reopened it to clean it and then stitch it up. My reply made him laugh....." You have Glenfiddich?.......Cool, I'll have a double! " When he opened it up it was down to the bone.

Six stitches later..............

I made sure he cleaned it out properly. Got a prescription for antibiotics and I was good to go........
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,340 Senior Member
    Ouch, get it cleaned out really well Alex.
    Hope it heals fast.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,399 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    Ouch, get it cleaned out really well Alex.
    Hope it heals fast.
    Thanks Owen. I told him where it had been and he made sure he cleaned it out completely.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    You may want to find a meat cutters steel glove for when you have a knife in your hand.
    A finger rubber will get you right back out there cutting & keep the stitches clean .
    Seeing that you are ok ........ it is funny !
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    You may want to find a meat cutters steel glove for when you have a knife in your hand.

I use  MaxiCut gloves. Thin, light weight, good dexterity, and are machine washable. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,552 Senior Member
    Just imagine the story the girls will be told
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Central FLPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I have a Kevlar mesh glove I wear anytime I have a fillet knife in my hand.  Picked it up in the fishing gear section of Walmart- inexpensive and so far has prevented any disasters.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    Glad it wasn't worse, could have been your trigger finger instead of your driving finger.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,399 Senior Member
    Another scar for the collection? 😁
    Yep.
    Scars are like tattoos, you pay for what you get............. :*

Now I have to figure out a good story to impress the ladies with and still sound PC in a world thats gone PC crazy............

Also need to come up with a story that is Vegan friendly for the good looking new gal down at the food market.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Oops!  At least you can still flex and extend it properly.   Seems like for this group you should extend a different finger... ;)
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,220 Senior Member
    Well, at least you finished the job first.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Alec, If you are going to be dumb, or careless, youu got to be tough, LOL.  Get the Butt-Out tool, it works and keeps your fingers away from sharps...…..robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Well, at least you made the nurses giggle! That's always good! Hope that finger heals up quick! Those gloves mentioned are good things to have around; you should get one or a pair, just because. Tell that vegan lass at the food market that you accidentally sliced it chopping up carrots; that would work.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I frighten myself more with sharp objects than any other tool. Its not that Ive become careless. I seem to have developed an awkard clumsiness that increases with age.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That would be enough to make a man say bad words. 

Especially having it cleaned out. That HURTS. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,275 Senior Member
    Nicely done!
    Happens every time I get a new Green River knife...don't know why, but as soon as I get one, it's a foregone conclusion that I will lacerate myself shortly thereafter.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    True story as a result of the injury.
    The Doctor said I should keep the finger elevated and offered me a sling. I refused and said I was good to go.
    Got in the jeep yesterday morning to head up to dads.........stopped in peak hour traffic with my left elbow on the centre console and my hand straight up in the air................with all but the slashed digit folded into my palm.

Nek minit I hear the car on my left sounding its horn and when I looked at the driver he was shouting cuss words and giving me the 'bird'!!!

What the hell..............

Then I suddenly realised that he thought I had started the situation with my upraised finger. So I hit the electric window switch and tried to apologise but he ignored my apologies and kept cussing.

Ya just cant pacify some people lol.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    There you go, still spreading humor.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,683 Senior Member
    Chicks dig scars!!