Home Main Category Clubhouse

Peaky Blinders

JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,226 Senior Member
edited September 2018 in Clubhouse #1
Just watched all four seasons over the weekend....Holy Crap! They must have supported the tobbaco industry while that series was in production...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I have started to click on that show a few times to watch, but never did. Is it like Gangs of NY?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Posts: 8,639 Senior Member
    Good show, but I had to turn on the closed caption, they don't speak 'Mercian, very strong British accents!
    I really like all those British period show, 1800's-early 1900's.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,226 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    I have started to click on that show a few times to watch, but never did. Is it like Gangs of NY?
    Kinda, sorta but not really....post WWI set in Birmingham...well done and worth watching...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bellcatbellcat Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    It's pretty good.    I haven't got all the way through, but have enjoyed the episodes I've watched.   Lots of PTSD guys with bad attitudes.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • jbohiojbohio Posts: 5,617 Senior Member
    We love that series.  I could watch it again, any time
  • EliEli Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I've watched the entire series twice through. It's one of my favorites. I will say though, this show, more than any other, makes me crave a cigarette (I quit smoking cigarettes almost a decade ago).
  • JermanatorJermanator Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Eli responded. I may have to check it out.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #9
    Pretty good show. Good acting and some real characters. Some are easy to like and others easy to dislike. That Jewish guy Alfie Solomons was irritating, the Priest and the Major were easy to despise, but the actors played the roles very well.

Pretty good gun handling with a few Boo Boos, but mostly historically correct from what I could tell.

'Dysfunctional Family' doesn't come close to describing the Shelby's.

Covered the whole gambit between wars in England from WWI Veterans (with what we call PTSD these days),  Gypsies, Jews, The IRA/Belfast, Commies, Industrial Strikes/Unions, the Mafia, corrupt Politics/Police, Abortion, Equality for Women, Orgies, Drugs, Smuggling,  Russians (White and Red), Love, Sex, Murder, Horse Racing, Boxing, Gang Wars, all kinds of Crime, Greed and about everything under the Sun and then some.................

Worth watching fer sure. I see they are planning another season that will be out in 2019.

I read the name Peaky Blinders was taken from a gang in the late 1800s who put razor blades in their caps and used their caps to cut up their opponents.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!