Judge strikes down 'highly paternalistic' California law banning handgun ads

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,518 Senior Member

Judge strikes down 'highly paternalistic' California law banning handgun ads, slams state's 'distrust' of gun buyers

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,518 Senior Member
    Wow that dumb arse law has been in effect for 95 years! They started gettin ate up with stupidity longer ago than I thought. Must be something in the water out there.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,627 Senior Member
    I'm always glad when Commiefornia BS is nullified!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,344 Senior Member
    edited September 13 #4
    There are some really dumb old laws on the books. I think Michigan had/still has one where it is against the law to say a cuss word in front of a woman or child.

Sailors have nothing on my wife's vocabulary.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,044 Senior Member
    There's some DOOZIES out there.
    I believe Alabama still has a law on the books banning tying either your elephant, or maybe camel to a public hitching post.
    There's a website dedicated to some of the stupid laws. I seem to remember some inland state had a law banning whaling in any state waters
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,917 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    There's some DOOZIES out there.
    I believe Alabama still has a law on the books banning tying either your elephant, or maybe camel to a public hitching post.
    There's a website dedicated to some of the stupid laws. I seem to remember some inland state had a law banning whaling in any state waters
    In Tennessee it's illegal to drive a motor vehicle while sleeping..................... :#
    Here's some good ones from each state. Have fun! :D
    https://www.ranker.com/list/50-bizarre-state-laws/litgoddess

https://stupid-laws.laws.com/crazy-laws/crazy-laws

https://www.rd.com/funny-stuff/dumbest-laws-america/

I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

Its illegal to yell "Auditorium!" in a crowded fire in Austin, Tx.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,287 Senior Member
    A little closer to home... signs posted at the launches along the Muskegon River prohibit using foul language...and a couple of years back, they actually prosecuted a guy for saying the "F word"....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    A little closer to home... signs posted at the launches along the Muskegon River prohibit using foul language...and a couple of years back, they actually prosecuted a guy for saying the "F word"....
    I remember that fiasco - how did it end?

Jayhawker said:
    I know the other words that aren't considered foul language, and say the same thing. And thanks to Shakespeare, I know a lot of other words that are no longer in common use. Reading is educational! :D

zorba said:
    Jayhawker said:
    He was convicted, then the conviction was overturned on appeal
    Jayhawker said:
    zorba said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Good. That was ridiculous.

Jayhawker said:
    zorba said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Just me, but the whole thing sounds like a 1st Amendment violation to start with. Whoever thought that was a good law hasn't watched any prime time TV in the last 20 years.

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,605 Senior Member

North Dakota

“It is legal to shoot an Indian on horseback, provided you are in a covered wagon.”

City Laws in South Dakota

Spearfish
    If three or more Indians are walking down the street together, they can be considered a war party and fired upon.

tennmike said:
    Jayhawker said:
    zorba said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Just me, but the whole thing sounds like a 1st Amendment violation to start with. Whoever thought that was a good law hasn't watched any prime time TV in the last 20 years.
    Well....the law was 105 years old...soooo, it was unlikely anyone was watching TV at the time...
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,465 Senior Member
    Oregon is an open carry state per the State Constitution. Municipalities, and Counties are not allowed to preempt State firearms laws. In the early 1980s Multnomah County (the state's huge population liberal cesspool) banned the sale of semi auto "assault weapon" clones. The state rightfully squashed that. At least 6 municipalities have passed ordinances prohibiting open carry! The state does not do anything as the cities cannot  legally do anything but ask someone not to. I'm a native to my state since 1952 and have never seen anyone open carrying in a city or town. Cowboys out on the range? Yes. At the shooting range? Yes. I have legally placed my Taurus 85 in the cubby under my car stereo (legal if in plain sight) when travelling desolate highways on the East side of my state where when seconds count the police are only hours away.  
    horselips said:

North Dakota

“It is legal to shoot an Indian on horseback, provided you are in a covered wagon.”

City Laws in South Dakota

Spearfish
    If three or more Indians are walking down the street together, they can be considered a war party and fired upon.

Hey, times were different back then and there was a reason for these laws.

Nowadays, they should audit and remove the ones that no longer apply.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,993 Senior Member
    Seems to me all over the country there are these old laws still on the books. The only reason I can figure for them keeping them is to hit someone with a charge so they can hold them longer & try to figure out if a crime was committed. Also as a tool to harass people they don't care for. It is like stacking charges up to make a plea deal . You can go broke trying to get justice now days.
    Well, if someone shot at a group of three or more Injins walking down the street these days...................could they get away with it in Spearfish?

Of course not, but I wonder if they could use their archic laws against them......but then again they would be charged by the state and feds if they did...............
    All laws should automatically sunset unless renewed.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    edited September 16 #22

Bigslug said:
    When writing the Constitution, they could have just left it at "Congress shall make no law" ;)
    That works for me. The amendment process would have been sufficient for a coalition of free states. The Constitution clearly stated that the individual states retained dominion over everything except for those enumerated in the Constitution

Of course, politicians and political parties being what they are, and have always been, it took less than 100 years for them to expand into a government that assumed dominion over the states, and used the military to back it up.
    "Highly Paternalistic"?!? Since when has that stopped politicians (on both sides) from passing whatever drek they feel is "best" for everyone. Cradle-to-grave, baby, cradle to grave!