Home Main Category Clubhouse

Any Watch Collectors/Enthusiasts Here?

Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Posts: 714 Senior Member
I tried this yesterday but maybe I put too many pics on at once because it wouldn't post. I got into watch collecting the last year or so and figured I'd share. Any of you guys have any watches that are special to you? I really enjoy the mechanical precision and the craftsmanship that goes into these. I'll just post a few and see if it works this time...

This one is an Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moon Watch." This is the only watch to be issued to U.S. Astronauts. Its a manual wind chronometer with a 48 hour power reserve.

Replies

• Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Posts: 714 Senior Member

This is a Breitling Superocean Heritage 46. Its an automatic COSC certified movement, 46mm case. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,226 Senior Member
    Curious thing...I used to be all about watches...either wore one or carried a pocket watch every day...then, the day I retired, I stopped, haven't worn a watch since 2009.... Couldn't tell you exactly where my watches are...

Nice time pieces by the way...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Very cool! Submariners are such iconic watches. Vintage Omegas are really special. You can feel the history and craftsmanship. It appears there is some interest so I'll share a few more.

Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 01104 300m water resistant automatic. This watch was originally designed for Italian frog men. The lever secured crown is a unique feature.

Zenith Type 20 Pilot with Annual Calendar complication. This one is a 48mm case. It is pretty rare.

I recently got this one. It is a Tag Heuer Monaco Calibre 11. This is the Steve McQueen watch, the same model, finish, and band style that he wore when filming "Le Mans" in 1971. it was the first automatic chronometer and the first square watch to be water resistant. 
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,185 Senior Member
    I can appreciate the craftsmanship, but I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years - I think mainly because I don't like tight things around my wrists (or neck). I still have a Citizen Navihawk around here somewhere - wonderful watch, but too heavy as it was always breaking loose from its band!

If I ever feel the need to have a watch again (doubtful), it'll probably be a pocket watch. Since everything has a clock built into it whether it needs one or not, why bother with a watch? I'd say that my flip fone has a clock that is far more accurate than any watch - but about 60% of the time, I forget to take it with me!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba said:
    I can appreciate the craftsmanship, but I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years - I think mainly because I don't like tight things around my wrists (or neck). I still have a Citizen Navihawk around here somewhere - wonderful watch, but too heavy as it was always breaking loose from its band!

If I ever feel the need to have a watch again (doubtful), it'll probably be a pocket watch. Since everything has a clock built into it whether it needs one or not, why bother with a watch? I'd say that my flip fone has a clock that is far more accurate than any watch - but about 60% of the time, I forget to take it with me!
    Yeah...all but 2 of mine are mechanical watches and they have power reserves. When you start wearing different watches every day the ones not being worn will stop after a few days. Sometimes I do feel kind of silly winding and setting my watch to my phone's clock almost every time I put on a watch in the morning. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I like them, like clocks even more. Im in awe of people that repair them. I don't collect them. Maybe one good clock someday. I like the kind with chimes.
    cpj said:
    That is pretty cool. This is another one that is cool to check out. American made, if I remember correct this guy was one of the head watchmakers for Audemars Piguet and then opened his own company here. All in house movements I believe as well...

https://weisswatchcompany.com/

• Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good hobby. They don't take up much space and often have interesting history. Not for me though.

What is up with the 'Steiner' (sp?) watches in magazine ads?

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief said:
    Good hobby. They don't take up much space and often have interesting history. Not for me though.

What is up with the 'Steiner' (sp?) watches in magazine ads?

Quartz (battery powered) movements, they're what they call "fashion watches." Generic, inexpensive movement in a decorative case. Buying a Seiko is where most people start. You can get a pretty amazing piece of mechanical craftsmanship for ~$100. A watch you can have for a lifetime. The difference between a quartz movement and a mechanical movement is pretty stark. You can always tell when you look at the second hand. If it moves in 1 second increments than its a quartz movement. Mechanical watches move, usually, at least 4 or 5 times per second.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Never really thought about the second hand or looked at one close enough to see that. Must be the gears/works engaging a bit at a time until they move a full second. I dunno.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Posts: 2,524 Senior Member
    When I graduated college, I treated myself to Rolex Submariner.  I wore it faithfully for almost 20 years until I got my smart phone and slowly I stopped putting it on.  Now a days I wear it to special occasions, but I'll never part with it.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Memories of my father's Seiko watch influenced me to buy my own a few years ago.  My wife wasn't happy that I spent over $350 on a watch, but I still get compliments on it.  It is pretty much always on my wrist unless I am in bed, in the shower or doing something particularly dirty like an oil change on my truck.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    I have a Colibri of London quartz pocket watch that my wife gave me.  The stem on it is broken, and I can't open it.  Does anyone have any idea where I can get it repaired?
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • Old RonOld Ron Posts: 4,450 Senior Member
    I really don't collect watches but I do have some I like  ..... gold pocket watches I do like.
    When I graduated college, I treated myself to Rolex Submariner.  I wore it faithfully for almost 20 years until I got my smart phone and slowly I stopped putting it on.  Now a days I wear it to special occasions, but I'll never part with it.
    Those Submariners are pretty amazing. How many times did you have it serviced in 20 years?
    Old Ron said:
    I really don't collect watches but I do have some I like  ..... gold pocket watches I do like.
    Any from Ball Watch Co?
  • Old RonOld Ron Posts: 4,450 Senior Member
    No idea ..... the only one that is silver is a key wind. If they have a 20 year double case or something like the tri colored gold one I usually buy them. Just neat old watches from a time long ago. About the same with me & old guns.
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,185 Senior Member
    Those are some cool pocket watches!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • RugerFanRugerFan Posts: 2,756 Senior Member
    I've got a Seiko that was a gift from my wife and sons over 15 yrs ago. I wear it every day. Just had a new crystal installed this summer. I have one that is a dress watch: thin, gold, with a leather band. I received it over 20 yrs ago as a 10 yr award with the company I worked for.  And another 1 i bought in 1981. I've got to get it worked on.

My father had a Seiko his brother bought him in either Thailand or Japan during Vietnam. He wore it for over 40 yrs.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Posts: 6,052 Senior Member
    I would enjoy owning a high end watch, the Rolex Air King has always had my attention, but I always find my money going to other things. As it stands, I have a small collection of decent quartz watches for various occasions. However, for daily wear, I still stick to my stand by analog G-Shock. 

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Tudor Black Bay Bronze. The case is made out of bronze and it will patina over time. Excited to see what this one will look like in a few years. This one is cool too because it has a 70 hour power reserve on its automatic movement, about a full day more than your typical automatic. Tudor was founded by Hans Wilsdorf, the founder of Rolex.

Tag Heuer Carrera 16. This is an automatic chrono like the Monaco but in a more modern shell. Would look great while driving an Italian sports car...maybe someday,

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600 Titanium, this is an automatic with a 600m water resistance. The case, bezel, and bracelet are all milled from Titanium.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Posts: 2,524 Senior Member
    Those Submariners are pretty amazing. How many times did you have it serviced in 20 years?
    I faithfully have it cleaned and serviced every five years.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 94 Member
    My dream watch became my every day watch about two years ago.  Walked into a pawn shop to look for an old, beat up stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk.  I like to use those as donor guns for custom work.  Owner of the store was busy with a customer, so I was browsing through the rest of the store.  Stopped dead in my tracks when I saw it.  Figured it was a fake, or stolen, after looking at the price tag -- only $99.  Figured I'd ask the story behind it since I consider the owner a close friend.  I knew he'd shoot straight with me.  

When he pulled it out of the display case, it was brand new, still had the protective plastic on the inside of the band, and was the real deal!!  A Citizen Eco-Drive World Perpetual.  Here's the story...

My buddy almost refused to give the customer a loan on it at all cause in this small town, nobody knows what they are looking at when it comes to watches, and it would most likely sit in the display case forever.  The guy said it was a gift, and he doesn't wear watches.  He just needed some money.  My buddy told him what it was worth, and he said he already knew, and had looked into it a little bit.  Couldn't find a buyer for it, so just wanted a loan.  My buddy decided to make the guy a low-ball offer just to get him out of the store, and offered him $50 for it, on the condition that he could keep it a couple days, get it verified as the real deal, and that it wasn't stolen.  Figured the guy would leave right away if it was a stolen item, or would be mad at the low offer.  But, the guy agreed to it, and when it checked out as the real deal and not stolen, he came back and got his $50.  At the end of the 30 days, the guy never came back, never answered phone calls, nothing.  My buddy figured he'd hold it a few more weeks to see if the guy might change his mind.  Never did, so he decided to sell it.  Doubled his money on it, and sold it to me for $99 out the door.

Now, my new bucket list watch is the Rolex Submariner, as pictured above by Wambli.  My mouth dropped when I saw that watch.  Congrats on a great watch, and thanks for sharing.
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!