Don't let the facts get in the way of hyping a TV show.

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,051 Senior Member
Anyone watch the show "River Monsters" on Animal Planet? They did a show on snakeheads in south Florida (overblown) and now they're doing a show on the pacu in Papua New Guinea. A fish that will castrate men!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/picturesoftheday/8980241/Pictures-of-the-day-28-December-2011.html

h... yeah. Pacu are vegetarians. Native to South America. The information about them biting humans is Papua New Guinea is anecdotal at best. While there are reports of them biting a child while in an aquarium, it was... wait for it... after the child put their finger in the water and wiggled it. Seems to me a good set of trousers would be enough to keep the pacu from biting you.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Maybe they can get Red Jacket to build a pacu killer.:zzzz:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    There you go Bream, an opportunity to write a paper. You get to write off a trip to New Guinea, go fishing, pad your resume with a published paper, and while it is not as glamorus as shooting a Glock agaist your belly, we will be cheering you on:tooth:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    They are still vegetarian, they are eating "nuts"..:yikes:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    bream, that's funny, and no, I've thus far avoided that particular TV series.

What I've seen in the past few weeks is a spate of "factual" (yeah, right) shows about the Mayan 12/22 apocalypse. Which of course the Mayans didn't predict anyway. Their calendar simply reached the end of its cycle -- time to flip over the page (or rock).

Anyway, these shows have been touted as "scientists deny" so I managed to stick to about 20 minutes of one show. What the show producers did, of course, was to say, okay, mr. scientist, even though these "end times" aren't true, what MIGHT happen and how MIGHT the world come to an end. And the scientists, lured by the idea of getting some facetime, jumped through the hoops, took the bait.

So the remainder of the show consisted of various world-ending scenarios, each more goofy than the last, like the crust of the Earth sliding around on the core, and so on.

Reminds me of the show a couple years ago how they'd "discovered the final lost book of Nickelodeon, oh wait, Nostradamus". Naturally it was proven quickly the book was a fake, ink and paper manufactured in the 18th century, but then they thought, "maybe it was written by Nostradamus' son (who was an astrologer too). Turns out nope, he didn't. But that didn't deter them. They went ahead and used the predictions (all dull) as IF Nostradamus had written them.

Truth is, Nostradamus was a FAKE. A smart, educated charlatan, a guy who made buckets of money off aristocrats who wanted their futures foretold. He cleverly concealed the fakery with vague stuff and when the client complained, he said, "a few more bucks and I'll clear stuff up" and then he kept dangling that lure (like the kid's finger) and raked in the geld. Read "Mask of Nostradamus" for the true story of this clever con man. The John Edward of his era.

So many channels, so little worth watching. Click.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,594 Senior Member
    Thought you were referencing Sons of Guns... :spittingcoffee:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    have to say I kind of like that show. like seeing the crazy critters he manages to pull from the water. I saw the episode in question and while having no reason to dis-believe
    his assertions, found them to be plausable.
    Please correct me if wrong but if a species is introduced into a new eco-system where perhaps is's natural food source may be in short supply, could not a species previously known to be vegitarian become carnivorous to some degree?

Sako
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Thought you were referencing Sons of Guns... :spittingcoffee:

Now it begins...

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    All I turn the TV on for these days is South Park...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Don't get me wrong. I find some of the goofiness entertaining, same as I do some TV commercials. The TV shows don't persuade me to believe their hype any more than the commercials make me want to buy a new Lexus.

If a show is outright fiction, like CSI or SOA or whatever, we can enjoy or not like the show solely on its merits (or lack thereof) and take it with a grain of salt.

The "reality" shows are a different thing. And by "reality" I don't mean "Divorcees of Detroit". I mean Mythbusters or River Monsters or others shows that at least pretend to offer some scientific or technical situation.

A couple of shows I sort of like but have tuned out, simply because they take waaay too long in presenting the subject. I find myself wishing Mythbusters would sometimes get on with it. Of course the show is deliberately paced to fill the 49 minutes or whatever. It's at least mostly entertaining. I've found shows like "Sons of Guns" or "American Guns" just take too long for the project at hand. One episode this guy was selling a Civil War knife and they hemmed and hawed for maybe ten minutes. And you KNOW it was rehearsed and staged. Yeah, sure, the guy was real and he was really selling a knife and all, but this price debate was scripted. ALL reality shows are scripted. It's just a case of whether you're willing to wait through the BS for the end result.

Of course the "drama" shows are the same. We simply decide whether the BS is shallow enough for us to watch the show.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    have to say I kind of like that show. like seeing the crazy critters he manages to pull from the water. I saw the episode in question and while having no reason to dis-believe
    his assertions, found them to be plausable.
    Please correct me if wrong but if a species is introduced into a new eco-system where perhaps is's natural food source may be in short supply, could not a species previously known to be vegitarian become carnivorous to some degree?

Sako

Watching some of his other shows, the hype of the natives is way overblown relative to reality. Is it possible that the pacu is now vegetarian? Maybe. But those things will eat any vegetative matter that gets into the river. Anything. I find it hard to believe that the rivers are that replete with vegetation. Also they're pretty slow and lethargic, so their opportunities to run down prey are a bit harder. It could happen, but I'm wondering how true it is. However, the River Monsters show is hyping the animal already. And yes, they do catch some crazy fish.

http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/red-bellied-pacu.html

Interestingly it says the fish were shipped in from Indonesia. Where they must have been introduced, as they're not native there, either. He also says he held the fish away from submerged bushes. Which they're known to eat. Diminished food?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    Thanks for the reply. It is difficult to know what is fact vs fiction with some of these show. It comes in handy to have a fisheries biologist available for consultation on such matters.

sako
    The thing that sticks out to me is the reported attacks on humans. The only support I can find comes back to the two reported attacks on people (and some say it was the twig being bitten off post-urination in the water.) But how did it happen? Did someone see the guy get bit? Did they happen upon it?

Also, the show plays up other critters as attackers when it's only alleged: snakeheads and alligator gar are two that come to mind.

As of yet, I have yet to find an actual, documented, unprovoked attack on a human by a snakehead, pacu, or alligator gar.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,543 Senior Member
    The pacu is a relative of the piranha and I suspect that they're illuding that it was a pacu that bit someone when it was probably a piranha. It's hard to sensationalize catching a large vegetarian panfish.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member

As of yet, I have yet to find an actual, documented, unprovoked attack on a human by a snakehead,

Well I can attest to being attacked by a Snakehead. I was rearranging the plants in the aquarium and the wife said Killer was going to bite me. Well I kept a sharp eye on him and I could see him slowly working his way to my end of the tank. When I thought he got too close I pulled my hand back and it was Jaws 3 in the living room. He tore my hand up pretty good. He was damn near 2' when I ended up shooting and cooking him. A great pet indeed, lots of character. He just got to big. He would run the tank splashing water out of it and the only way to get him to stop was to leave the room. I would have to cover the tank so he couldn't see anyone. A very temperamental fish to say the least.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    You were rearranging plants in his tank. What size was this tank? I guess he either: saw your hands and thought they were a fish, or he felt you were invading his (or her) territory.

Snakeheads are pretty cool, and relatively smart for a fish. We had one in an aquarium when I was in grad school. He was about 18" and would try and take down 6" sunfish. Cool to watch.

By the way, I should have specified: I'm talking about attacks in the wild. Aquariums do weird things to fish.
    Overkill is underrated.
    It was a 150 gallon tank. I used to thump him on the head when he would come up for a gulp of air. The damn thing just wouldn't leave my plants alone. I put a large Oscar in there with him, the Oscar made it two days. He would bully the Oscar. It knew to stay out of the Snakeheads way. It would be over in the corner and Killer would edge him out, this went on for two days. I wouldn't mind getting another one. You need to be good friends with an Aquarium store owner to find these things. I also had 2 Red Piranha for a while but that novelty wore off fast, it took tank cleaning to a whole new level. I always made sure when these animals left my house they were dead.
    150 gallons is pretty big. Snakeheads and piranhas are prohibited in FL unless DEAD, so the possibility of aquarium keeping one as a regular citizen are about nil. They tend to do well here in FL and we'd rather not get them established (makes 'em a black market fish.)

I can believe they'd harass an oscar to death. They're pretty aggressive.
    Overkill is underrated.
    You know how that goes if you know the right people you can get just about anything. Snakeheads would be hell on our game fish population. It's to cold here for Piranhas to live in our water correct?
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member

Interestingly it says the fish were shipped in from Indonesia. Where they must have been introduced, as they're not native there, either. He also says he held the fish away from submerged bushes. Which they're known to eat. Diminished food?

Aquarium fish farms. Big business in SE Asia. This is where the vast majority of able-to-be-bred species of aquarium fish for sale in the trade come from.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Hmmm... Not knowing exactly in CA where you live, the lower lethal temperature for red-bellied piranha is around 10 degrees Celsius, 50 degrees Fahrenheit, with a preferred temperature range from 24-26 C/75-80 F. I don't know how cold the water temperatures get where you are.
    Overkill is underrated.