Home Main Category Clubhouse

And now for something completely musically different

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
This dulcimer shop is in Townsend, TN, not far from where I live. Some of y'all might like the video, and if you visit the Smoky Mountains, it might be a good diversion.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,722 Senior Member
    My mother bought a hammer dulcimer from a shop in Townsend several years ago 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There's a guy at the Sweetwater, TN flea market that sells guitars, banjos, dulcimers, fiddles and other string instruments. I tend to go over to the flea market on Saturday evenings when the group of 'old farts' get together and do a string ensemble thing. They play old bluegrass tunes, and they're GOOD!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There's always a lot of bluegrass and old country stuff played by local bands at the county fairs here, and the best thing is, they are all held different weeks in the surrounding counties. You can 'get your fix' for several weekends. There's old guys and gals, and young guys and gals, and a mix of both on stage at the same time playing. Sometimes there's a charge for the venue, and it's cheap. Just bring your chair and set down and listen to good playing. I look forward to the county fairs for the music, and for the decadent food; makes my arteries harden just thinking about some of the food! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
     ....The one he made with the Remo drum pad that makes a banjo type sound, and the resonator are very cool!
    Agree.

Never heard about this instrument....excellent post!

I like bluegrass....of course the chances of seeing a band playing that music down here are zero, so thank God for YouTube!