Besides oil, what can I use to cover or protect unfinished steel?

ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 BannedPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
On the old forum, before the crash, I posted a pic of my pre model something (cant remember,) S&W .32 Long Cartridge revolver. Because of sentimental value I love this thing and try to keep it in prestine condition. I have to keep it oiled at all times to keep the rust gremlins away which makes it hard to handle, clean, fire, etc... Is there anything I can do to it like coating or such to make it safe from the elements? I heard that blueing can still rust and want something more protective. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,058 Senior Member
    A tube sock sprayed down with G96 Gun Treatment...I keep all my blued handguns in them when they are stored. OR, they sell treated gun socks intended for the purpose...
    Stay away from grease, it hardens over time...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,350 Senior Member
    Eezox.

It's light, dries to a non-oily (well, dry) finish. I personally saw a pocket knife that was accidentally washed and sat in a pair of pants get found with zero rust on it after being treated with the stuff. I use it on any gun that needs a rust preventative, especially my waterfowl shotgun.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Sweet. So I can take it to the range for a day or so and not have slight surface rust all over it by the time I make it back home? That truly irritates me to no end. Are there any more permanent coatings or such that you all are aware of? Chroming, nickel?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,058 Senior Member
    Chroming, nickel?

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!.....er...umm...uhh...No....:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,350 Senior Member
    Sweet. So I can take it to the range for a day or so and not have slight surface rust all over it by the time I make it back home? That truly irritates me to no end. Are there any more permanent coatings or such that you all are aware of? Chroming, nickel?
    Yes. With Eezox, just coat the thing with it when you're done and you can rest assured it won't have surface rust. I had bad speckle rust issues with my Benelli M2 after hutning with it (it was my duck gun afterall) and Eezox was the rememdy that worked.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    cpj wrote: »
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot did you just say?
    You want to nickle plate a perfectly good revolver?
    You'll burn in hell if you do.
    hahahahaha. lmao. I was waiting on uncle chris's input. I will admit that I hate chrome, but whats wrong with Nickel??? Plain steel as is rusts like hell.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I have had such problems until I found breakfree.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    cpj wrote: »
    Its uglier than a bulldogs butthole, thats what.
    Might as well get a big furry purple trench coat, a cane, and a big hat if you nickle plate that gun. Fo-****.
    Oh hell. Im at a loss for words. I sir, am rotflmao. hahahahahaha. Point well made and taken.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    hahahahaha. lmao. I was waiting on uncle chris's input. I will admit that I hate chrome, but whats wrong with Nickel??? Plain steel as is rusts like hell.

Not a thing. I would bet not a one of the detractors would pass up a nice colt revolver with factory nickel finish.
    [IMG][/img]compacts002.jpg
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,103 Senior Member
    Nickel does need some special care. Like no copper solvents, or if you do use them, wipe them off immediately! The nickel is put over a copper base coat, which the solvents can attack. So be careful with the Hoppes No. 9.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,241 Senior Member
    Carnuba wax does it for me. And improves the appearance.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Wax or Blue Wonder Armadillo. Seals the finish.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov