Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

School Resource Officer In Trouble For Taser "Use"

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member

This was in todays News of the Weird report. The only thing I find weird is that the officer is in trouble.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2018/09/06/sleeping-student-wouldnt-wake-up-class-so-an-officer-pulled-out-her-taser/

I highly suspect the 16 year old student was pulling a prank and when the officer turned her Taser into a stun gun and made it "buzz" perhaps this caused the student to quickly decide continuing the prank was not worth being "tased". I would call the officer's solution brilliant rather than inappropriate.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,040 Senior Member
    Handwringing snowflake millennials...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    People need to read the entire article. 

But Smithfield Police Chief Howard Funk says that Boskoski was previously disciplined for a separate Taser-related incident a month ago. Funk told the news station he was “disappointed that this took place.” Boskoski is on unpaid leave.

If the school could not wake the student, the proper response should've been to call an ambulance, in case of medical emergency. The cop should've done the same; not threatening violence. If the kid is playing a prank, let his parents pay for the ambulance call. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

But Smithfield Police Chief Howard Funk says that Boskoski was previously disciplined for a separate Taser-related incident a month ago. Funk told the news station he was “disappointed that this took place.” Boskoski is on unpaid leave.

If the school could not wake the student, the proper response should've been to call an ambulance, in case of medical emergency. The cop should've done the same; not threatening violence. If the kid is playing a prank, let his parents pay for the ambulance call. 
    Just exactly when did she threaten violence??
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    While effective, probably not the best way to have handled the situation. Thinking back on my school daze I remember teachers having some effective means of waking up sleeping students. A book slammed HARD on the student's desktop was a wakeup call that could not be ignored. A loud noise like that with your eyes closed is an immediate getter of attention. The yelling from the teacher that followed enhanced the experience, a LOT!

My junior year in HS in American Literature class a guy was asleep and snoring. Mr. Benson, a really big strong guy was the teacher. He walked over to the guys desk, lifted the thing up to his waist, and dropped it on the floor.  'Sleeping Beauty' woke up right quick and didn't do that again the rest of the year. All Mr. Benson did after the chair drop was to walk back to his desk and continue where he left off, after the giggling and laughing subsided.

I guess teachers were more creative back then with handling situations in class.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    My H.S. electronics instructor, had a unique way of handling inattentive and/or talking students. He'd continue lecturing, walk down the chalkboard until he found an eraser or a piece of chalk - whichever came first. Then he'd continue talking while he positioned himself advantageously for a good shot. Then he'd throw the chalk or eraser and score a hit, every time!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Kid's asleep in class, teacher calls the SRO?

Some problems that aren't easily solved with an attempt at reasonable action can be easily ignored temporarily, and taken care of later without consequence to anyone. This approach is particularly useful with children and adolescents IMO.
    Buford said:
    CaliFFL said:

A taser is a threat or act of violence when deployed. They call it "less than lethal" and tasers have killed more than a few people. 

Maybe she should've unloaded her sidearm and pointed it at the kid. Technically, it isn't a threat of violence.  
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

zorba said:
    My H.S. electronics instructor, had a unique way of handling inattentive and/or talking students. He'd continue lecturing, walk down the chalkboard until he found an eraser or a piece of chalk - whichever came first. Then he'd continue talking while he positioned himself advantageously for a good shot. Then he'd throw the chalk or eraser and score a hit, every time!
    My world history teacher kept a water gun in his desk to wake students. Worked great!

Adam J. McCleod

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Buford said:
    CaliFFL said:

Lacking any description of the previous "Taser incident" I have to assume it was of a lessor degree than this one as she was back on the job.
    zorba said:

No doubt counselors had to be brought in to help the students and staff through their extreme trauma. 
    CaliFFL said:
    Buford said:
    CaliFFL said:

A taser is a threat or act of violence when deployed. They call it "less than lethal" and tasers have killed more than a few people. 

Maybe she should've unloaded her sidearm and pointed it at the kid. Technically, it isn't a threat of violence.  

She removed the projectile electrodes converting it to a stun gun and displayed no intent of touching anyone with it.
    cpj said:
    CaliFFL said:
    Buford said:
    CaliFFL said:

Now while I think the kid is being a little bitch, and the school and everyone else over reacted at the SOUND  of a taser, not an actual threat... (the way I understand it)
    pull that stunt on a cop and see what happens.  

Yep. "Bang Bang, you shot me down. Bang Bang, I hit the ground.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    You of course mean the school district, right?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    zorba said:
    You of course mean the school district, right?
    Any/every one all in a flutter over this non-event.

)O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    While effective, probably not the best way to have handled the situation. Thinking back on my school daze I remember teachers having some effective means of waking up sleeping students. A book slammed HARD on the student's desktop was a wakeup call that could not be ignored. A loud noise like that with your eyes closed is an immediate getter of attention. The yelling from the teacher that followed enhanced the experience, a LOT!

My junior year in HS in American Literature class a guy was asleep and snoring. Mr. Benson, a really big strong guy was the teacher. He walked over to the guys desk, lifted the thing up to his waist, and dropped it on the floor.  'Sleeping Beauty' woke up right quick and didn't do that again the rest of the year. All Mr. Benson did after the chair drop was to walk back to his desk and continue where he left off, after the giggling and laughing subsided.

I guess teachers were more creative back then with handling situations in class.
    Some teachers have always been creative with disciplinary methods, but nowdays their hands are tired.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Cop should have just handcuffed the kid to the desk or chair, and let his bladder wake him up. 
    horselips said:
    Cop should have just handcuffed the kid to the desk or chair, and let his bladder wake him up. 
    To hasten that happening, dipping the fingertips of one of his hands in a bowl of warm water would really speed up that urgent bladder thing! :D:D:D:D:D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,889 Senior Member
    I'm still wondering what warranted calling in the school resource officer...
    I'm just here for snark.
    Just a guess on my part, but it probably has to do with teachers being unable to touch a student in any way. Can't discipline them, either, so probably just send them to the Principal's office IF you can get them awake, or they are willing to go to the Principal's office. Kids can get away with nearly anything in class, and they KNOW IT. The School Resource Officer has become the court of last resort for unruly students.

Back when I was in school, if you misbehaved badly enough, parents were called in, and it got ugly out in the hallway. The unruly student usually got their stuff in one sock and kept a grip on the sock for a good while.
    ― Douglas Adams
    sgtrock21 said:
    Buford said:
    CaliFFL said:

Lacking any description of the previous "Taser incident" I have to assume it was of a lessor degree than this one as she was back on the job.
    Read the entire article. 

Adam J. McCleod

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,930 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Back when I was in school, if you misbehaved badly enough, parents were called in, and it got ugly out in the hallway. The unruly student usually got their stuff in one sock and kept a grip on the sock for a good while.
    When I was in grade school and you misbehaved there was a good chance you would get paddled right there in front of the class. That pretty much stopped all problems for awhile.
    CaliFFL said:
    sgtrock21 said:
    Buford said:
    CaliFFL said:

Read the entire article. 

I read the entire Washington Post article 3 times. Today when reading it for the 4th time I opened the Channel 5 TV report which reported the previous Taser incident as an unintended (accidental) discharge. She received a warning with no suspension. Thank you for guiding me to the confirmation of my assumption.
    rberglof said:
    When I was in grade school and you misbehaved there was a good chance you would get paddled right there in front of the class. That pretty much stopped all problems for awhile.
    Such things were done in the principle's office, but were done nonetheless. When it was raining, he'd get on the PA: "Today's 'puddle paddle day'. You step in the puddle, I use the paddle!"

)O(
    rberglof said:
    tennmike said:
    When I was in school the parents were called in when the little heathen's backside had already met the 'board of education' and was still not gonna behave.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 108 Member
    Freakin part timers.  She already had one "Taser incident" as they called it.  She probably liked the pretty blue-white light, or she was a Star Wars fan.

A hint to anyone with a modicum of common sense would tell them that an unresponsive person needs specialized medical attention more than a buzz buzz sparky sparky.

This kind of **** is what happens when departments are forced to lower standards in order to accommodate "diversity in employment" (read into that whatever you like, because I probably meant exactly that) and keep hiring from pools of people who are functionally illiterate, or given points on hiring metrics because of ethnicity or possession of a vagina.

"Hey kid, wakey wakey"

No response

Feel for pulse and check breathing

Hmmmm....common sense...."Get the nurse, or roll EMS".

ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I like beer.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford said:
    I like beer.
    I like rum and moonshine. Beer makes me fart, and the world could do without all that greenhouse gas! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #29
    While it was a more heated situation than a stupid prank, a SRO in Wake Co NC opened up a can of pepper spray in a Wake Co middle school to breakup a fight between  two 7th graders ...

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article219201285.html

... the school officials and board are reviewing it now but want to bet the SRO gets a ripping for it. I am not sure why pepper spray would be required for 7th graders but I have seen some big kids as of late. Also if he’d laid hands on them he’d probably be under the microscope as well for that.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell