Home Main Category Hunting

The shotgun returns!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 28,048 Senior Member
If you remember, I bought my boy a Remington 870 Compact in 20ga for his birthday and the gun was broken right out of the box. Sent it back to Remington and it arrived at the house after 3 weeks. While I was gone, of course. 

Well, I returned home today after a couple weeks and we unboxed, function checked, installed a new sight, and headed to the ranch. 

A storm was heading our way and we got rained on, but..........the boy fired one test shot to make sure it worked. Then , fired TWO shots for THREE birds while hunting!!!  His first dove with his new shotgun and  his first DOUBLE (2 with 1 shot).

I really don’t like bird hunting with him. I fired 1 shot for 1 bird and called it good. A wonderful time. 

Being a a father is awesome. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,399 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #2
    Excellent. From what you have posted about his shotgun shooting I would say he is a 'natural' when it comes to scatter gunning.
    Just curious, what brand are the earmuffs, and do they interfere with his shouldering the gun?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,048 Senior Member
    Walkers electronic and not that I can tell. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,552 Senior Member
    You are SO RIGHT
    Another Congrats to your boy, twofers dont happen often.
    He will enjoy that shotgun for years to come
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,820 Senior Member
    Appears a perfect match, Dad. Congrats! Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Yes.
    Yes it is.👍
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,275 Senior Member
    Nice work! 
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Most excellent! 
    So did they fix the original gun or send a new one? Did they say what was wrong?
    Yes, this.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    They sent the same one back. 

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,692 Senior Member
    If I read that right, insufficient headspace???  That would be a weird one.

Sounds like the kid could do with a round of trap and skeet dangled under his nose, along with maybe some pro coaching.  There's this little thing called The Olympics. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    They do have a 4H Shotgun program at my gun club........
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    If he likes to shoot clay targets, let him get coached.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
    You have done well with that young man.  BTW, he looks just like you......
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    He got my ravishingly good looks. 
    Not many birds tonight. So, I threw a can for him to shoot at in practice and we got treated to a nice sunset. 
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    They do have a 4H Shotgun program at my gun club........
    Those are usually pretty good programs. I know of at least three kids from my area that have placed at the 4H Nationals. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    If you remember, I bought my boy a Remington 870 Compact in 20ga for his birthday and the gun was broken right out of the box. Sent it back to Remington and it arrived at the house after 3 weeks. While I was gone, of course. 

Well, I returned home today after a couple weeks and we unboxed, function checked, installed a new sight, and headed to the ranch. 

A storm was heading our way and we got rained on, but..........the boy fired one test shot to make sure it worked. Then , fired TWO shots for THREE birds while hunting!!!  His first dove with his new shotgun and  his first DOUBLE (2 with 1 shot).

I really don’t like bird hunting with him. I fired 1 shot for 1 bird and called it good. A wonderful time. 

Good shooting. As has been said on here before, the family resemblance is remarkable.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    He's showing some natural talent with that shotgun. I'd be encouraging that with that 4H program and some trips to the trap and skeet ranges if any are close. Some of my best times and memories are from chasing birds in the field with good friends and dogs, and duck hunting floating down rivers.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams