Home Main Category Personal Defense

Help - backpacking strap mounted knife ideas...

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
The recent cougar attack in the Portland Oregon area has my wife considering self defense in the woods.  Based on her hiking "style" and preference not to open carry a handgun ( my preference ), I want her to consider a knife.  It seems to me the most convenient way to carry it will be either handle down, mounted on either the right or left backpack strap.

I have looked at MOLLE type scabbards and have not found anything I like.

While a 5 inch or larger blade would be ideal, I think mounting an 8 inch knife with a 4 inch blade is the most practical.  Her hands aren't big, so it leaves me with a bunch of options.

Personally I would have a 7 inch Ontario Knife Company fighting knife, but that's not her style.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  This would be a good thing for a lot of folks who go out in the woods...

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Budget?  Are double edged knives an option?
    Budget is open but I would prefer a less expensive knife because the intent is to mount it handle down for easy access.  My fear is this is an easy way to lose a knife if the mount isn’t secure, or the user is not careful... double edge not an issue, in fact might be prefered.  Think fending off something, man or beast.  Think emergency defence, strong hand busy.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,741 Senior Member
    A walking stick is a handy item for backpacking. One with weighted ends could impact with authority.

The cross over chest strap of a back pack is a handy place within reach. Appendix carry works well also with backpacks. 

Get a knife with a grip that she can hang onto, even with wet hands.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    https://www.crkt.com/shop/everyday-carry-knives/obake.html
    I gave my daughter one of these to carry when in the mountains. The lanyard ties off to whatever you choose. the knife is very secure in the sheath so inverted carry should present no problem. 

Sako 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,622 Senior Member
    Push dagger...compact, effective for the purpose intended...many styles and sizes available
    https://www.budk.com/United-Cutlery-Honshu-Push-Dagger-Silver-Large-21874
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,993 Senior Member
    Since Mt. Lions are known to attack from behind and if possible from above, if one is aware of there surroundings she might be better off with a can of bear spray in addition to a knife or gun. I know of a few people that paint eyes on the back of there hat or ball cap.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,335 Senior Member
    I carried a K Bar for most of a year mounted upside down and never lost it.  It was taped to my ruck sack strap.  So that carry option is good.  As for a knife, I wouldn't advise a fighting knife because there are plenty of other uses for a knife other than fighting for your life, and one is  far more likely to use them.  I had a fighting knife, a Gerber, which I broke the hilt on and a Marble hunting knife, which I lost, but which was far more usable.  Then I got the K Bar which was usable for both a knife and for fighting, which I never did.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,622 Senior Member
    Another is the Ontario Cutlery RAT 3...with the kydex sheath....tough, well made multi-purpose blade
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #9
    For hiking and camping I’ve grown fond of my Kabar “Short” fixed blade. It’s the Kraton handled 5 1/4” blade model ... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H53Q8U/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1  ... it’s nothing fancy but is strong, easy to grip, holds an edge AND IT IS BUDGET FRIENDLY!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell