Hurricane Michael

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 5,343 Senior Member
This one is kinda strange in that we went from nothing to a potential tropical storm, and then a potential cat three hurricane in just two days. I just got back into town (Fort Walton Beach) from the ranch and I've seen no sign of anyone preparing for a possible hurricane in lesss than 48 hours. The track shows it heading further east like Panama City to Apalachicola but I've seen storms that were supposed to hit Tampa end up hitting Bay County. I'm gonna gas up all the vehicles, check the generators, and fill a few gas cans anyway.
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,638 Senior Member
    Its a weird one, we're monitoring but don't expect much impact on the east coast.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,837 Senior Member
    I'm staying home, I figure it's safer than dealing with all the panicked driver evacuees, and gas is already hard to find!

It's going to blow through fast, anyhow!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,284 Senior Member
    🌀👀
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,521 Senior Member
    Gas lines here and outta 7 stations 5 were out and 2 had long lines.

Noticed bottled water was about out at the grocery this afternoon

And I'm far away from where it is headed/expected to make landfall..................

Load up them lever rifles Big AL.............might need to keep'em outta the backyard!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    The lake (and the gaters) in my back yard limit access. It's my own personnel mote. Otherwise locked and loaded!!
    Yep, it was barely talked about as any threat and then it became a hurricane..................... 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    The local news here just showed a hook pattern forcast ending in Norfolk from the west.
    Oh crap......St Marks is where a they make/blend a lot of our gunpowder....hope the facilities don't get damaged. Might wanna stock up if ya need any now ....................
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,920 Senior Member
    All y'all keep an eye out and get prepped for this thing. If it misses you then you just lost some time getting ready.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

I'm kinda thinking the areas in the pathway could do without the moisture.

Ive never seen an in depth pictorial of the St Marks facility in the gun rags. Probly for good reasons.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,920 Senior Member
    I'm kinda thinking the areas in the pathway could do without the moisture.

Ive never seen an in depth pictorial of the St Marks facility in the gun rags. Probly for good reasons.
    SW FL could use some rain. They're kind of dry right now. Being on the East side of the thing and just getting a glancing blow, they might get some needed rain. My nephew says it's hot and dry down there around Ft. Myers.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,882 Senior Member
    My youngest stepson just left PC to stay at his girlfriends place in Gainesville. He says the gas stations are packed
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,409 Senior Member
    I don't believe I will stay for a cat 3
    This message has been deleted
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,783 Senior Member
    edited October 9 #15
    Big Chief said:
    Oh crap......St Marks is where a they make/blend a lot of our gunpowder....hope the facilities don't get damaged. Might wanna stock up if ya need any now ....................
    The plant is several miles from the water / St Marks proper. It should be fine. 

My house in Tallahassee with trees all around? Not so sure!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,818 Senior Member
    My daughter is safely tucked away in my guest bedroom so I’ll sleep ok.  Hey Al if you need a safe place to stay head up my way and make sure you bring the .280.  Don’t need that damaged by a hurricane... 😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    My daughter is safely tucked away in my guest bedroom so I’ll sleep ok.  Hey Al if you need a safe place to stay head up my way and make sure you bring the .280.  Don’t need that damaged by a hurricane... 😁
    The first thing I'd pack, just before my golf clubs!
    Big Al1 said:
    The first thing I'd pack, just before my golf clubs!
    Good man!  4 courses here to help you pass the time... 🤣
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,459 Senior Member
    Weather channel showing 8 to 12 foot surge from Apalachicola to Cedar key.
    edited October 9 #20
    CAT 2 now and expected to intensify. Good thing is won't linger around and dump feets of water.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    Looks like after it beats up @Fisheadgib and @Big Al1 its going to go over land and dump a lot of water on @Wambli Ska and @NN.
    You all stay safe
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    We don't need any more water...  Lord I'd like to see the sun for more than a few hours at a time.  It has been a dismal summer...
    edited October 9 #23
    About 1 MPH @ 110 from being a CAT 3 at 111...................it is moving fairly fast, a good thing so as not to hang around and dump crazy amounts of rain like others have. 
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,343 Senior Member
    Shortly before Ivan in 2004, Florida passed a law against price gouging during a disaster and several local Shell stations were busted and fined for jacking up their gas prices during Ivan. I guess everyone knows just what they can get away with because gas prices are about 15 cents a gallon higher than they were last week and the few stations that still have gas only have premium.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,409 Senior Member
    Shortly before Ivan in 2004, Florida passed a law against price gouging during a disaster and several local Shell stations were busted and fined for jacking up their gas prices during Ivan. I guess everyone knows just what they can get away with because gas prices are about 15 cents a gallon higher than they were last week and the few stations that still have gas only have premium.
    we have a similar law, gas prices remained steady for 2 weeks; now it is a dime more.
    This message has been deleted
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    Looks like it is now a Cat 4
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,343 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Looks like it is now a Cat 4

I'm really glad we put a metal roof on the house in Fort Walton. It's good for 140mph and they're only predicting 40 to 60 mph winds around here.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,045 Senior Member
    Al, if you don't want to drive to Wambli's, Tuscaloosa's a lot closer and out of the path.

They're not even sure we're going to get anything worse than "scattered showers".

We have a spare queen sized bed if you and Mrs Al decide to use it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    All you guys in the panhandle and big bend area, south Georgia stay safe!  Prayers going your way from southeast Florida
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,714 Senior Member
    St. Joe is going to take a pounding,

Good luck to all, stay safe!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    Link to the Northwest FL NOAA Weather radar.

Looks pretty rough.  Prayers for all those affected.

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=evx&loop=yes

Overkill is underrated.