Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

FLA Voters: A voter's guide to Florida's 12 amendments on the 2018 election ballot

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Be careful some of those amendments are not what they appear to be.

AMD# 13 says it is only to ban Greyhound racing, but can have on impact on fishing and hunting 'Animal Rights'.

Anyhow, your decision, but a little research is a good thing.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yep, got my early voting ballot today and it is ready for tomorrows mail.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    You sure have a lot of proposed amendments on the ballot! Some good, and some not so good.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #4
    I like the fact that they put at the bottom of each amendment who supports the amendment and who opposes it. In some cases it will help me decide on yes or no. For example, some of the amendments are either supported or opposed by the League of Women Voters. That right there is an indication that I will vote opposite of what they want, because they're a left-wing organization.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    I like the fact that they put at the bottom of each amendment who supports the amendment and who opposes it. In some cases it will help me decide on yes or no. For example, some of the amendments are either supported or opposed by the League of Women Voters. That right there is an indication that I will vote opposite of what they want, because they're a left-wing organization.
    Pretty much! I was the same way in California - If I couldn't figure a proposition out, I'd look to see who supported or opposed it. If the California Teacher's Association had anything to say about it, it was probably a good idea to vote the opposite. And the CTA *ALWAYS* had an opinion on everything, whether it actually involved them or not.
    Looking at this list, I was noticing that I tended towards the opposite to the LOWV, although I don't know a darn thing about them.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #6
    https://www.jamesmadison.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2018_Amendment_Guide_v08_web.pdf

From the James Madison Institute in Tallahassee. States the amendments, pro, con, etc.  Our local news also had something similar to BC’s link. 

Either one, voters need to study all the proposed amendments and make an educated decision. 
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    That is exactly how I vote on everything. Research and make my decision .
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    The last one on the list contains 3 issues that are unrelated. That one will definitely get a BIG NO!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    edited October 2018 #9

It ain't just about stopping Greyhound racing.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    You sure have a lot of proposed amendments on the ballot! Some good, and some not so good.
    Part of the problem (at least as I see it) is that the voters are proposing constitutional amendments as solutions to legislative problems, brought about because the legislature won't pass laws (their job) because someone might get mad and vote them out.  So you wind up with amendments being passed (minimum school class size, banning of hog gestation crates, homestead exemption) that require a constitutional amendment to extend them or repeal them.  In reality, it's the legislature's job to make laws and pass a budget.

In my opinion, a constitution, be it state or federal, should be about restricting or expanding governmental authority and establishing the extent of rights.  The Volstead Act is a federal example of a constitutional amendment that should have been a statutory law.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If ya have to pass all those constitutional amendments instead of the legislature legislating and passing laws, they why do you even have a legislature? Just amend the constitution to turn them all out to pasture and pass amendments instead!

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    Not a bad idea in general.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    If ya have to pass all those constitutional amendments instead of the legislature legislating and passing laws, they why do you even have a legislature? Just amend the constitution to turn them all out to pasture and pass amendments instead!

In many ways it's longer, more process.  Requires X numbers of signatures, has to go before a constitutional review committee, needs a certain percentage of the vote, and harder to overturn.  Honestly, just getting the legislature to do their actual jobs is preferable to me. 

Overkill is underrated.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,385 Senior Member
    I hope every one votes Yes on Marcy's Law if it's on your ballot.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,008 Senior Member
    BC thanks for the info, it does explain a lot better than the ballot, and yes we voted for "Marcy's law"

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT