Recent visitor to my backyard...

Wambli SkaWambli Ska ModeratorPosts: 27,476 Senior Member
He comes by every once in a while.  My wife has named him Arthur, I have no clue why.
In New York and CT I had turkeys and other wildlife.  Life in the South is a little different...

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,110 Senior Member
    They are different alright, like they might eat you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,207 Senior Member
    We used to have cotton tails that hung out in our yard.  I named them all Stew.

That's pretty cool that you have your own pet gator.  Be careful.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,193 Senior Member
    Some folks just pulled a four footer out of Lake Michigan near Waukegan IL..still had his mouth taped shut...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,675 Senior Member
    Wambli, your wife must not know about the Pogo comic strip with Pogo Possum, Albert the Alligator, and all their friends.

Arthur might be a good name, too, though. Maybe he's looking for the Lady of the Lake to hand him Excalibur! :D
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,387 Senior Member
    Hey, shoes/wallets/belts/purses.........maybe dinner!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,110 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    BC you forgot watch straps
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,476 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    They are different alright, like they might eat you
    Yep, that.  This guy is smallish, maybe 6-7' long but I believe we have lost a few pets to these guys this year.  NOT me personally, other folks in the development.  People walk small dogs WAY too close to the edges of the ponds around here.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Heck yes.  Daughter has been visiting this week and even though her pooch is 80 lbs and not really alligator bait size we still walk him out the front door and nowhere near the pond.
    Jayhawker said:
    Some folks just pulled a four footer out of Lake Michigan near Waukegan IL..still had his mouth taped shut...
    Isn't that a bit too far north for them to be there?
    tennmike said:
    Wambli, your wife must not know about the Pogo comic strip with Pogo Possum, Albert the Alligator, and all their friends.

Arthur might be a good name, too, though. Maybe he's looking for the Lady of the Lake to hand him Excalibur! :D
    Don't know that she knows about the comic strip but I do.  I think she just pulled the name out of her butt.  :D
    Big Chief said:
    Diver43 said:
    Big Chief said:
    Nah, live and let live.  Besides they are protected around here last I checked.
    Jayhawker said:
    Did you notice the part about his mouth being taped shut?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/1576533002

Jayhawker said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Did you notice the part about his mouth being taped shut?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/1576533002

Oh crap, read too quick!!!  Damn!  Who would do that!?!?!?!?!
    Certainly a sick individual....
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,492 Senior Member
    At least it isn't this guy..............

"Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,314 Senior Member

We had one that used to come out when I was sitting out in the yard and lay down 3-4 feet from me.

When I would put cracked corn out for the birds, I would rattle the can and the rabbit would come running.

I gave him a novel name-----I called it Peter
    This message has been deleted
  • GilaGila Posts: 424 Member
    Spk said:
    At least it isn't this guy..............

Chupacabra... 
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,057 Senior Member
    So if someone walks a leashed dog near the water and a gator snatches it, is that fishing???

And if so, who's fishing and who's cutting bait???

🐊🐶
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,546 Senior Member

Arthur Destiny Analysis

You are healthy, energetic, excitable, short-tempered, and stubborn. You are also honest, sensitive, brave, and you inspire confidence and trust. You are the most eccentric. You neither borrow money nor make flowery speeches, but you tend to be soft-hearted which sometimes gives others an advantage over you. Full of vitality and enthusiasm, you are popular even with the reputation of being foolhardy and a ‘big mouth’ at times. You are intelligent, gifted, and a perfectionist but these qualities make you unduly demanding on others. You would be well-suited to be an artist, priest, or politician. You are balls of fire! You are full of vitality and love of life. Always on the run, you drag your faithful band of admirers behind you. You are egotistical, eccentric, demanding, and giving.

I admire her thought processes.............. :D
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,309 Senior Member
    I have a hummingbird that comes by every now and then when I’m on the deck with my coffee and cigar.  Other than her, we just have the usual squirrels and sech. 
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,919 Senior Member
    That's where the second, and ESPECIALLY the third "S" comes in >:)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GilaGila Posts: 424 Member
    LMLarsen said:
    I have a hummingbird that comes by every now and then when I’m on the deck with my coffee and cigar.  Other than her, we just have the usual squirrels and sech. 
    I have a roadrunner that likes having hummingbirds for lunch... 
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    "S" = saute?
    Jayhawker, you can't tell me you're not familiar with the "3 S's" (Shoot, Shovel & SHUT-UP)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Of course I am...but I'm always hesitant to bury something edible....
    edited October 11 #27
    Jayhawker said:
    Of course I am...but I'm always hesitant to bury something edible....
    Well then...
    "Shoot, Shut-up and Saute'"
    :smiley:

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    edited October 11 #28
    Wonder if he travels between your pond and that other couple around? If he gets up on a tee box or Heaven forbid a green the Gator Getter will be called I bet.

Oh yeah ... how do you know it’s a he ... I guess you lift the tail to check???   :D

As to being protected ... NC is talking about a very limited  hunting thing not to long ago but not approved. 
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    edited October 11 #29

OOPS

I completely misread your first reply... I saw "salute" and was thinking WTH???

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,314 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Diver43 said:
    Big Chief said:
    There are new regs that let municipalities have a gator season-----most cities have not established 
    this provision and there are special permits needed. 
    This message has been deleted
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,173 Senior Member
    I guess it's too late for a pellet gun...
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain