Building rifle. Need options.

FFLshooterFFLshooter MemberPosts: 677 Senior Member
Ive been kicking around the idea of building a custom 6.5 creedmore on a 700 short action with only the intentions of selling it. Im needing ideas on triggers, stocks and barrel length and twist. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,143 Senior Member
    I can’t comprehend this project on many levels n
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 677 Senior Member
    ???
    Well imagine that you can blueprint an action, jewel or flute a bolt, true up the bolt and receiver and do pretty much anything you want to build the baddest rifle possible with the intentions that someone will appreciate it enough to want to purchase it. What would you do?
    edited October 11 #5
    Blueprinted 700 Action
    Badger Bolt Handle
    27” Krieger Barrel chambered in .260 Rem
    Jewel Trigger
    AX Chassis
    Holland Brake

Fluting/Jeweling a Bolt is worthless eye candy to me. 
    And I was originally joking about not understanding:

6.5 Creedmoor
    Buikding a gun for someone else. 
    Selling a gun. 

😁
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,225 Senior Member
    Depends on what someone is willing to pay. 
    Going with the build to sell idea, I’d go with Zees list. But I’d flute the bolt. It’s tactical and stuff. Selling point. Who cares if it’s pointless, it’s a selling point. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    I’m actually being contracted by an 07 licensee to build this. They want me to go with my gut on everything (hence why I’m wanting advice). I’m afraid that I’m not too much in the know of what’s really popular with folks in the custom world. I’m definitely taking notes though.
    Piss on popular. It’s results that count. 
    If this is a popularity build.......I’m out. 

I just want to build what folks will want to buy.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,225 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Piss on popular. It’s results that count. 
    You suck at sales. 
    You have to have results AND cool **** that doesn’t make **** all on a big ship difference. Professionals won’t be buying this. The queer for gear crowd will. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,179 Senior Member
    Well imagine that you can blueprint an action, jewel or flute a bolt, true up the bolt and receiver and do pretty much anything you want to build the baddest rifle possible with the intentions that someone will appreciate it enough to want to purchase it. What would you do?
    Baddest gun for what? Target shooting? Competing (which disciplines)? Hunting?  ...Ok that needs to be more specific... Long range hunting?  Mountain hunting?  Brush? ...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,250 Senior Member
    edited October 11 #14
    Pretty much all of the 6.5s I'm aware of use an 8 to 8.5T barrel, so that's a good place to start. Though at least a couple of makers make 7 and 7.5T .264 barrels. If it's a LR or tactical rifle, some buyers might think they need the faster twist for the heavier bullets, but other than being able to say, "it has a 7T (or 7.5T)barrel" I doubt the buyer would ever know the difference.

Since it's a "custom" build to sell, I'd probably go Jewel or Timney trigger, if for no other reason than name recognition

Barrel length and contour, and stock would depend on if you're building a LR hunter, LW hunter or a "Tactical" rifle. Though, these days, since you're building it to sell, I'd use a heavy enough barrel that you can thread the muzzle 5/8x24 at whatever length you decide on.

For bbl length, depending on the configuration, I'd go 20-24"
    Whose barrel depends on too many options. Name recognition, lead time, price, final "market" your wanting to sell it in.

New barrel maker "what's my name" might currently be building the absolute BEST barrels in the world, but if the purchaser has never heard of them, it might as well be an ER Shaw or factory barrel
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

If money's no object, and you want to turn some heads of the "cool" crowd...
    A Proof Research CF wrapped barrel would make the rifle stand out, and about double the cost of the barrel
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Also, bottom metal would depend on final configuration. PR/Tactical buyers are probably going to want a DBM while it seems most hunters want a floor plate for a smoother bottom for carrying afield, hinged for easier unloading.

Now that I've given you some basics of, what I feel is, the current market, I'll list what I would personally use if I was spec'ing it our for myself, in a couple of configurations.

"Hunting" would be lighter weight field rifle, Timney Trigger (1.5-2#), Proof research 20" 8T barrel, threaded, B&C Alaskan II stock and a hinged floor plate on bottom.

LR would have a Timney Trigger(1.5# max), 24" Lilja/Hart/Bartlien barrel 8T, threaded, BDM bottom metal and reside in B&C Medalist light tactical stock

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,382 Senior Member
    Baddest gun for what? Target shooting? Competing (which disciplines)? Hunting?  ...Ok that needs to be more specific... Long range hunting?  Mountain hunting?  Brush? ...
    This! You need to have an idea what to build or you may end up with a very narrow market. No way I'm just building a gun to sell. If people want a specialized gun they can build it themselves. You may end up building something you can't sell and eating it. At the very least build something that you might like in case you can't sell it for what you have in it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    From a business perspective, if I was in your shoes I'd start conservatively.  I have seen a lot of custom builds by folks whose names I don't recognize languishing at rock bottom prices on gun shows and Armslist.  Part of it is that buying a custom rifle is an investment and if I decide to write that check I want to make sure that down the line there is a return if myself or my family after I'm gone decides they not longer need the asset.  So spending $5,000 on a rifle from an unknown maker is not in the cards because I have no guaranteed return.  When you buy from a known maker you have at least some assurance of being able to get your money out someday.

Case in point, I know that there are individual 1911 gunsmiths that make a GREAT gun, but I chose a Wilson Combat because they make a great gun that is now worth more than twice what I paid for it.  I did not want to limit my return on this investment.

My point is that features/parts are not the only elements to keep in mind when building a rifle with the intent to sell.  Just a thought...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,670 Senior Member
    Just my opinion but a buyer of a custom rifle knows every detail they want and have it made that way. You might be better off taking/ getting an order first.
    For hunting I’d be looking at an Alaskan stock from B&C, a 24” match barrel from a high end name in a light contour, blueprinted action, Pacific Tool and Die skeletonized bolt, titanium firing pin, Dead Nutz scope mounts and a Timney trigger set at 1-1.5 lbs.  total weight not to exceed 7.5 scopes and with a test target showing at least 2 shots pretty much touching.

If you really want to impress me machine the Remington name off the side and leave a flat that can be laser engraved to my option.  Black ceracoat the stainless action.
    I should have added that they want a long range rig. I’ve already sourced a 1:8 Kreiger bbl that’s 27”. I can always shorten it though. I’m definitely looking at all of your recommendations as well. I appreciate the advice and will keep y’all updated on the build as it progresses. Again, this is just me building “something” for another shop in hopes that it sells fairly well. It’s a pain though that they are dropping the whole design details into my lap instead of just telling me specifically what they want.
    I should have added that they want a long range rig. I’ve already sourced a 1:8 Kreiger bbl that’s 27”. I can always shorten it though. I’m definitely looking at all of your recommendations as well. I appreciate the advice and will keep y’all updated on the build as it progresses. Again, this is just me building “something” for another shop in hopes that it sells fairly well. It’s a pain though that they are dropping the whole design details into my lap instead of just telling me specifically what they want.
    If this...
    Then this
    Zee said:
    Blueprinted 700 Action
    Badger Bolt Handle
    27” Krieger Barrel chambered in .260 Rem
    Jewel Trigger
    AX Chassis
    Holland Brake

Fluting/Jeweling a Bolt is worthless eye candy to me. 
    Depending on final price point being an issue the first thing I'd drop is the AX stock in favor of a McMillan or HS Precision to lower cost and then a B&C if build cost is still an issue.  If cost of build is still an issue after that I don't think I'd bother because the return on the effort would be minimal.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,450 Senior Member
    What Zee said, except a Trigger Tech trigger,  and a custom stock, not a chassis.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,511 Senior Member
    edited October 12 #25
    This is what my imagination got me....
    Remington 700 action
    jeweled bolt
    Tromix bolt knob
    shillen #3 contour varmint barrel 26” with brake chambered in .308

Hogue full bed block stock with action bedded.

Timney trigger

surgeon bottom metal with A/I 10 round mag.

Leupold VX3 LR 6.5-20x50mm

purpose in life, hog eradication.

timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 18,043 Senior Member
    edited October 12 #26
    "Jeweled Bolt"

As everyone here knows, I'm a Belly Dancer, and that means I like all kinds of gaudy, shiny, sparkly, and even tacky stuff. With that said, lose the jeweled bolt. Please.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    "Jeweled Bolt"

As everyone here knows, I'm a Belly Dancer, and that means I like all kinds of gaudy, shiny, sparkly, and even tacky stuff. With that said, lose the jeweled bolt. Please.
    OMG does that mean I'm tackier than you.
    I have a gun with a jeweled bolt.

Oh you are soooooo tacky... That pinto of yours is the tackiest of them all.  I think you should send it to me so you go back under your tacky limit...  >:)
    Oh you are soooooo tacky... That pinto of yours is the tackiest of them all.  I think you should send it to me so you go back under your tacky limit...  >:)
    I always thought that scratched up one wearing pachaderm was more tacky.
    Guess I am tacky.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,881 Senior Member
    THIS
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,881 Senior Member
    I would get more info, on what they specifically wanted it for.
    What is your barrel contour?
    What do they mean by LR?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"