Home Main Category Personal Defense

AR for home defense!!

Smw2258Smw2258 Posts: 1 New Member
I am 100 percent pro 2nd amendment, have lost your mind. I have owned firearms since my first Crosman 760, I am A Vet. (USCG). Pushing the AR Platform for home defense is , I will say it,  insane. Do you really want grandma or the teenager next door running around the house shooting 5.56 rounds through the walls. What else would you like to give the anti- 2nd amendment nuts to argue about. Obviously you gets lots of money from manufacturers to promote this, have the  balls to say no.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I'd venture a guess that every LEO squad car in this municipal area has one in the trunk that's loaded with select department issue ammunition for use in a crowded urban area.

As far as Im concerned these rifles are absolutely needed for their work, and represent an excellent choice for many private citizens desirous of home protection.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    If you're worried about overpenetration through walls...

.22 LR will go through 4 or more walls, 9mm HP through 5.

https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/35384/i-use-xxxx-for-home-defense-to-prevent-overpenetration/p1

I'm just here for snark.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #4
    Different strokes for different folks ... ARs are part of my HD setup (Speer 64gr Soft Point Gold Dots) as well as handguns and a shotgun. As far as wall penetration a .45acp, .40SW and 9mm will go thru as many if not more layers of interior wall board than 5.56. Unless you run specialty ammo like Glaser or such every round will penetrate at least a couple layers. Generalizations like you made in your OP might have some truth in over penetration but after that it loses traction when practical testing and application is applied. 
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Troll.

I want a .410
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Bless your heart.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Oh boy.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    Smw2258 said:
    I am 100 percent pro 2nd amendment, have lost your mind. I have owned firearms since my first Crosman 760, I am A Vet. (USCG). Pushing the AR Platform for home defense is , I will say it,  insane. Do you really want grandma or the teenager next door running around the house shooting 5.56 rounds through the walls. What else would you like to give the anti- 2nd amendment nuts to argue about. Obviously you gets lots of money from manufacturers to promote this, have the  balls to say no.
    I'm guessing in your own world view everyone has an AR toting granny or undisciplined teenagers right next door. If that were true, I'd be a little more sympathetic to your point of view.

I live in an area that's somewhat remote. An errant round would have to find it's way through several hundred acres of orchard before ever finding it's way to the nearest neighbor and I'd have to be aiming in the opposite direction of the front door (presumably, where the threat would be)!

My question is this, is it the platform or the ammo? I have a handy Mini-14 in 5.56/.223 for home defense needs (among other things). Am I wicked, evil or irresponsible for using the platform or the caliber? Or of knowing what's around me and what would be behind the threat?

Not every situation calls for the use of Ball ammo! If it bothers you that much and you're in a congested area, use Frangible ammo. Problem solved!
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-remington?ikw=frangible

The more you know, the less you'll fear............. :#

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    I miss the popcorn emoji...
    I'm just here for snark.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member

“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,558 Senior Member
    If he defends his position, I’ll interject. If it’s just a drive by, ain’t worth the effort. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,139 Senior Member
    The guy thinks he's writing a letter to the editor.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    NCFUBAR said:

like it
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I use AR's for HD, and it makes hella sense to use. But I will go with Zee... if he wants to actually talk about it and get informed... awesome, we can educate. If this is a drive by troll, I won't waste my keystrokes.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Coming into a room and shouting, "I'm a pro 2nd vet," is a great way to get the response, "Welcome to the crowd." Many of us, if not most of us share a similar pedigree. Now settle down and learn something. 

When I was in college, my room mate was trying to impress a girl. I was out with a date. When I got home, I noticed a hole in door and a corresponding hole in the door jam across the hall. I knew immediately what it was. Inside I found my friend nervous as all get out. He was in the bedroom and had a negligent discharge. Through the bedroom sheetrock, through the living room sheetrock, through the sheetrock leading into the kitchen and through the other layer on the other side, bounced off the refrigerator, hit the solid wood door, fully penetrated and you already know what I found in the hall. 

That's 4 layers of sheetrock, one good ricochet a wooden door and finally stopping in a door jam.

.38 Special, 158 grain semi-jacketed hollow point. 

Welcome to the room. But know that you aren't the only one here who knows a little something about guns, ammo and military.

Best to you.

Dan 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,356 Senior Member
    Well reading the first post I have managed to get my full quota of BS for the day.
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    Smw2258 said:
    . I am A Vet. (USCG). Pushing the AR Platform
      I am a ex-Royal Corps of Signals.
    What is a ar Platform and why are you Pushing it?
    Does it have wheels?

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,035 Senior Member
    Coming into a room and shouting, "I'm a pro 2nd vet," is a great way to get the response, "Welcome to the crowd." Many of us, if not most of us share a similar pedigree. Now settle down and learn something. 

When I was in college, my room mate was trying to impress a girl. I was out with a date. When I got home, I noticed a hole in door and a corresponding hole in the door jam across the hall. I knew immediately what it was. Inside I found my friend nervous as all get out. He was in the bedroom and had a negligent discharge. Through the bedroom sheetrock, through the living room sheetrock, through the sheetrock leading into the kitchen and through the other layer on the other side, bounced off the refrigerator, hit the solid wood door, fully penetrated and you already know what I found in the hall. 

That's 4 layers of sheetrock, one good ricochet a wooden door and finally stopping in a door jam.

.38 Special, 158 grain semi-jacketed hollow point. 

Welcome to the room. But know that you aren't the only one here who knows a little something about guns, ammo and military.

Best to you.

Dan 
    And I always thought the best way was to shout "I'm a male Belly Dancer, and I wear skirts!"

More seriously, this reminds me of my late father's ND  with his Security Six. This one too started in the bedroom, flew into the bathroom (door was open), shattered the bathtub glass door, went through the tile at the end of the tub, emerged through the tile at the end of the tub in the other bathroom, went through the tile on the backside of same, and emerged through the stucco on the outside wall. Their house was on the edge of town, and this was all upstairs, so the bullet spent itself out over a field somewhere, thank Goddess! It probably went quite a ways, as it was a full house .357 load...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba said:
    And I always thought the best way was to shout "I'm a male Belly Dancer, and I wear skirts!"

More seriously, this reminds me of my late father's ND  with his Security Six. This one too started in the bedroom, flew into the bathroom (door was open), shattered the bathtub glass door, went through the tile at the end of the tub, emerged through the tile at the end of the tub in the other bathroom, went through the tile on the backside of same, and emerged through the stucco on the outside wall. Their house was on the edge of town, and this was all upstairs, so the bullet spent itself out over a field somewhere, thank Goddess! It probably went quite a ways, as it was a full house .357 load...
    Hate to break it to you Zorb, but that stray round might still be out there,............. Somewhere! Wandering the lonely street of middle America, hopping trains and frequenting local dives. Who knows where that bullet will end up.............?

Three Fifty Seven Magnums have a lot of go in them!

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

das68 said:
    Smw2258 said:
    . I am A Vet. (USCG). Pushing the AR Platform
      I am a ex-Royal Corps of Signals.
    What is a ar Platform and why are you Pushing it?
    Does it have wheels?

The civilian semi-auto version of our M-16/M-4 military rifle.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief said:
    I did guess ;)

We had the really early (no forward assist ) Colt AR 15 on issue in the very late 80's, close on 30 years old by then.

Or to be technically correct the AR stands for Armalite Rifle.

Big Chief said:
    I think he was using his sarcasm muscle.

AR stands fer Assault or Automatic rifle to the gun grabbers!
    Big Chief said:
    Or to be technically correct the AR stands for Armalite Rifle.
    I think Colt had stopped using "Armalite", by that time, just "Colt AR-15".

Nice mix;

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I thought AR stood for all right.
    I thought AR stood for all right.
    OK then
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,139 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Because Allysa Milano is HAWT. 
    I need to go put on my Crocs...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    He was in the bedroom and had a negligent discharge.
    Sadly, I can relate to that. (I can't believe nobody hit that slow pitch before me.)
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine