Help identifying old shotgun

StipeStipe New MemberPosts: 3 New Member
 Hey everyone,

I need help with the identification of the year and brand of a shotgun/rifle. It's a double barrel shotgun with both 16 gauge and 9,3x72 ammo. Looks very old but it's very well preserved. It has no brand or any writing except of course of the proof markings. I'm attaching pics of the disarming of the shotgun, the ammo and the proof marks.

https://imgur.com/a/o8uA3pm

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Simon

Answers

• StipeStipe New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    That is a German "cape gun" and appears to be custom made.  I need to take a look at some of my research materials to decipher the proof marks.

Very cool gun!
    Yeah, already got that from wikipedia. I need to know the year it was made and the brand. Could it be Sauer & Sons? Is there a guide for determining year with that serial number? 22XX
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,589 Senior Member
    It looks beautifully made. If thats a variation of the Jones underlever they're very strong. If it checks out in sound condition you could keep it alive with home taylored low pressure ammunition if you're of a mind to.
  • StipeStipe New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    The guy that sold it told us it was a Sauer & Sons. But I haven't been able to find the "lion" proofmark present on both barrels to determine that either.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,589 Senior Member
    Sometimes an expert appraisal or a detailed reference book are heads and shoulders above information found on line.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    edited March 29 #6
    Not an expert, but I do belong to the German Gun Collectors forum.  I don't think the gun is proved for smokeless powder, which would be indicated by a crown over N.  The U means the gun was proved, the gauge is 16 in the circle, the rifle barrel is 118/35 which is 9.3 mm.

The S is for the shotgun barrel.  It's probably for 2 1/2" shells of BP.  If it isn't marked by the maker, its lineage is unknown.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06