Texting has taken over the world!

2»

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Don't forget that "text speak" was also due in part to some plans basically charging by the character. I think the other reason for the proliferation of "text speak" is so that the younger generation can have their own code that the adults have a harder time understanding. Kind of like slang.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NyGunownerNyGunowner Banned Posts: 328 Member
    The personality does come through among the regulars, I'll agree. But at the same time those who don't use forums or bulletin boards view them as impersonal.

I do think that one thing that forums do is allow a certain lack of manners online. It's very easy to call someone something ugly when you know that they'll never see you. I've gotten rude emails and IM's from this forum because someone didn't like me calling them out on their posts. Those people are gone now, but I do wonder if the person would have sent me the message if they thought I would encounter them?

I don't see texts as being impersonal, in general. But that's mainly because I only text those whom I already have a relationship with, and while I generally keep the texting dialogue to bullet points, it's because I'm trying not to flood the recipient with unneeded info.

I think if you'll look at those have the impersonal texts you describe, they tend to be that way in their interactions with others. Impersonal, a bit cold, and not too emotionally involved. I don't believe they got that way because they text, but rather that they text that way because of who they are.

texting didn't cause a lack of emotional content and depersonalization that degrades the ability of folks to see past the OMG, BFF, TTYL crap, it just reinforces it.
    An ex of mine had a collection of Civil War letters written by an ancestor that she found in her family attic. The writer, a private with maybe a 6th grade education, wrote long, eloquent letters to his mom and sister that were so rich, they allow us to "know" him even through the ages. But expository writing was important to those folks, even as they were not really any more formal in day to day speech than we are..... Kinda hard to get that kind of emotional connection from the "OMG cold, send sox" text.

Teddy Roosevelt, (actually speaking on nationalism vs multiculturalism) in a speech to the future leaders of the world, graduating the Sorbonne, said "language IS a culture, it IS a nation. I know, he was talking English vs polyglot, but the point works. If a culture cannot or does not express certain concepts readily, they become stilted or warped beyond recognition. I would opine that in English, the words we use to talk about carnal love tend to be violent or ugly compared to French, where they wax poetically with great warmth about the subject. Listen to a Frenchman talk of physical love, and the feeling is much different.

When we would reduce most human interaction to some gibberish that looks like notations in a pharmaceutical catalog, the feelings aren't all that great, and much is lost.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I was into texting when cell phones did not have that feature, a Motorola text pager, and it was a great tool as a LEO and in EMS to have important information texted to Me directly......
    I could almost always be sure a text message would contain some pretty important or bad news.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    When you are texting no one interrupts you, you can have your entire say before you get a reply, then you can study this reply and proceed to text a "smart" comeback, well that is what folks thing they are doing and why is so popular IMO. Also there is a thread of the conversation in your hands you can come back to.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    NyGunowner wrote: »
    I would opine that in English, the words we use to talk about carnal love tend to be violent or ugly compared to French, where they wax poetically with great warmth about the subject. Listen to a Frenchman talk of physical love, and the feeling is much different.

way off topic but...

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that our country was essentially founded by prudish religious outcasts. From my experience despite some of our recent outward cultural displays, our country has some serious issues with those types of "acts". We are generally thought to think that they are "dirty", "forbidden", even "immoral".
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho