Home Main Category Hunting

Now this is a buck

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,435 Senior Member
All my life I’ve always wanted to see a monster buck with drop tines live and up close and personal. My neighbor with the high fence called me and ask me if I’d pick up five bags of protein and feed the deer in his pen. Now I know this is a genetically modified buck grown to produce other genetically modified bucks. Having said that my jaw hit the ground when he stepped out. 

This buck is spectacular and what I wouldn’t do to see one in the wild.   He just makes me say WOW!

On the plus side I’ve been invited to hunt his place and help cull out some spikes and does!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    That’s a beautiful specimen of an animal.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,552 Senior Member
    Money can buy darn near anything. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,185 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Money can buy darn near anything. 
    Thats what I was thinking. But damn what a rack
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I might not swerve if he was in the road. 
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #6
    cpj said:
    It’s a freak of nature. Not natural, nor desirable for me. Is it big? Yeah. It’s just not right. Of course neither is “feeding the deer in the pen. “

High fence operations disgust me. 

I have a guy at work that constantly shows videos and talks about his "buddies" deer fence operation like he owns it himself. He's just too dumb to realize he is a non-paid schlep. But he finds it COOL. I told him yesterday that I can grow my house cats as fat as I want them also and it means nothing. He moved along.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Jeff photoed a well racked deer. He didn't shoot it. Even if he had, I'd not be too quick to judgement. High fence can be a half acre horse corral, or a 10,000 acre spread complete with draws and cedar swamps you couldn't traverse on foot in a week. High Fence has as much meaning as Evil Black Rifle.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    Jeff photoed a well racked deer. He didn't shoot it. Even if he had, I'd not be too quick to judgement. High fence can be a half acre horse corral, or a 10,000 acre spread complete with draws and cedar swamps you couldn't traverse on foot in a week. High Fence has as much meaning as Evil Black Rifle.

Mike

I have nothing against it. Was just trying to convey that it's just "not quite the same".
    I have no problem with high fence operations when they are described as such, understood as such, and treated as such. 

I cull for several such operations. It ain’t “hunting” as many know. It is thinning a livestock herd. And I get to do ballistic testing in the process. 

I would not  pay for such (as I don’t have the means, desire, or need) but, I’ll shoot anything inside a fence if asked. It it what it is and to me......currently.......it’s a ballistic smorgasbord. 

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,137 Senior Member
    We have a " trophy deer" operation a couple of miles up the road that specializes in growing huge non-typical racks....we get to see them through the fence frequently.
    $20K will hang one on your wall. A cull hunt will run you $5K and up....I suppose they will even make up the hunt story for you for that kind of money...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,435 Senior Member
    Michakav said:

Mike

I have nothing against it. Was just trying to convey that it's just "not quite the same".
    My neighbors high fence has been the bane of my existence since he put it up three plus years ago. I've put many posts up on this board about it.  He fenced 408 acres against my wishes as well as our local game biologist.  We've had quite a few heated discussions over it.  He stocked it full of exotics and trophy whitetails.  He also raises trophy whitetails in a four acre pen.  He has more money than sense!

I've never agreed with his high fence but being neighborly if asked to help out I usually do.  It what country folk do out here.   I do enjoy looking at the black bucks, fallow deer and other exotics on the place, though I'd never hunt a high fence property and pay money to do so.  It's like shoot'n fish in a barrel.  Having said that I do like venison and if asked to cull some deer I'll gladly accept.

I snapped and posted the picture as I've never been that close to a huge buck like that whether genetically modified or not.  Wasn't trying to stir a hornets nest, just post a picture of a buck I've only ever seen on TV.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Everything is fenced in somewhere, in the grand scheme of things. Now guided hunts, those are dumber than **** in my book but you know what they say about opinions. 
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    You guys are looking at this all wrong.

As long as there are trophy hunters out there who will pay thousands to execute these wall-hangers so that they can throw a party to celebrate their manliness and hear all of the shallow comments from wannabee woodsmen and prairie rats, there is one less city slicker out there scarfing up all the good hunting spots.

I don't say this maliciously, because there are all different kinds of reasons (excuses?) why a person pays to hunt where they have a chance for success. As a person who has a self-imposed $1500 dollar personal limit for what I will spend on a hunting lease, calling myself a 'hunter' is just as ludicrous to the public land 'spot and stalk' hunter as the guy who pays to hunt one of these genetically engineered freaks in pens of various dimensions is to me. $1500 will buy hunting rights on a couple hundred acres of very 'iffy deer hunting land, so, who is to say what my spending limit would be, if I were in a higher income bracket?

A 'purist' type hunter, in this modern world, is a guy who can find an 'eco-system' of any size, venture into it, and commune with nature. He can measure success with his own self-imposed rules, and nobody else even needs to know about it. I look at it like the Methodist preacher in that movie with Tom Skerrit and Brad Pitt, in which the father had his sons write and rewrite their thoughts down on paper, over and over again, until their philosophical musings were good, and their composition, grammar, etc. was absolutely perfect. When they finally got it right, he registered his approval briefly, causing them to beam with pride. Then he directed them to trash it and walk away from it, never to be mentioned again. It's an extreme example, and a standard I can't quite meet, but represents an ideal that I approve of.

Personally, bagging six grey squirrels along a river or creek, with a bolt-action .22 rifle, and having them for supper, would make me feel better than hanging a trophy on the wall.

Still, it is a nice buck.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Beautiful animal, too bad you couldn’t have left the gate open
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    As someone who had an opinion on high fence hunting operations.and at the time had never stepped foot in one. They are not all created equal. The first one I had experience In was a local operation ,that my brother was working at. They needed some help on “guiding “some hog hunts. This particular place was only about 500 acres. In a short time period my mind had changed some. I spent 3 days trying to get 2 guys on hogs. Since then I have been on several from a few hundred acres to some that are thousands of acres. Depending on size and terrain they can be every bit as challenging and fair chase as anywhere else. There are certain species I wouldn’t hunt under high fence and there are others that I would. Before painting with a broad brush if you have the opportunity try and check some places out and you may come back with a differ t point of view.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Shooter!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I don’t have a problem with “raising deer” ... I kinda do it with our horses and such. We have a group of does and their fawns and yearlings tha hang in the back pasture with the brood mares. Yes, they eat well but they come and go as they please. We’ve had one alpha buck for the past 2 years and a couple young ones snooping around but nothing like that monster ... I’d say he’s been fed a very high protein diet with some supplements on the side like we use to do with our performance and halter quarter horses back in the day. That sucker is solid!

As to hunting ... I’d call it more like “harvesting” ... anything you can almost walk up to and pet is not game it’s livestock and that ain’t hunting.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #18
    There's a ranch about 20 miles from where I sit typing this that has some real wall hangers on it. They aren't so much managed or fed as they are let to get old. There's a lot of 6 year old deer out there. They get upwards of 20-22 inches wide inside. I guess they're what you call high fenced but that fence is miles across. It takes awhile to drive across the place. They hunt it or let it be hunted every 5 or so years but the deer are relatively unmolested most of the time. I killed a small 8 point off there when I was a kid in the boy scouts. But I would hunt there tomorrow if they let me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.