Home Main Category Hunting

Elk down

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
My son shot a cow elk right at sun up. None of us had a camera in the field so this is the best photo of the day. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,561 Senior Member
    Boy has some CHOPS!!!

And hams. 

Good for him. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Congratulations!

That's the part where its time to smile.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,190 Senior Member
    Congrats to your son
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Well, ghat went swimingly!  Fantastic work by the young man!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Excellent. Looks like a good freezer filler.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I wish they would all come that way.  You know, already quartered and at home. :)

Congrats to your son!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    He looks no worse for wear after packing out elk, looks like a nice day to get an elk, congratulations.
    Need some info on the firearms/bow used please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    The weather is unusually warm. We fought the flies and meat bees for about three hours. And...we only had four game bags between us (mine were in the truck) so shirts were sacrificed. He’s shooting the same Remington 270 I bought him 10 years ago. His first shot toppled the animal. I mean I saw all four hooves in the air. She got up and started walking further down into the ravine. The kid followed up with a second shot. She staggered further into the ravine and dropped. The two holes were 3” apart and wrecked the lungs. We had help humping the meat out, so that was not too bad.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Ya had me right up until you mentioned '270'........

Just kidding.
    Tell him the Kiwi says great shooting.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:

Just kidding.
    I don't know what round he's using but IMO, it is not enough. I found this against a scapula, and the bone wasn't broken. 

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    orchidman said:

Just kidding.
    I don't know what round he's using but IMO, it is not enough. I found this against a scapula, and the bone wasn't broken. 

Well...it IS a .270 after all..

Well done!

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    The weather is unusually warm. We fought the flies and meat bees for about three hours. And...we only had four game bags between us (mine were in the truck) so shirts were sacrificed. He’s shooting the same Remington 270 I bought him 10 years ago. His first shot toppled the animal. I mean I saw all four hooves in the air. She got up and started walking further down into the ravine. The kid followed up with a second shot. She staggered further into the ravine and dropped. The two holes were 3” apart and wrecked the lungs. We had help humping the meat out, so that was not too bad.
    Now there ya go starting rumors about .270s. People gonna start believing you can actually kill deer with one. I mean I wouldn't know.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Please tell him "Congrats!" for me.
    Excellent!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    FYI - It takes roughly 30 man hours to completely process a cow elk into packaged meat. Trimming, grinding, steaking, etc, We are making sausage and jerky today and tomorrow. 

Adam J. McCleod

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,982 Senior Member
    30 hours sounds about right with good sharp knives 
    30 hours sounds about right with good sharp knives 
    I took this after cleanup. Thought it was funny at the time. 

Adam J. McCleod