Well, crud (casting boolitts)

Replies

• HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    A plumbing supply shop will have lead bars. At least they do in Florida. Don't know abouut price.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    Anyone know the recipe for alloying pure lead? Seem to recall something about 50/50 bar solder added in but don't recall the ratio. I have always used wheel weights in the past but may have found a good supply of pure lead if it can be rendered useful.

Sako
  • simplesimonsimplesimon Member Posts: 48 Member
    wddodge wrote: »
    , I average about two or three 5 gallon buckets a year.

Dang, what does a five gallon bucket of lead weights weigh? Think I would bust another hernia trying to get that in the truck.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    Anyone know the recipe for alloying pure lead?

PLEASE don't adulterate pure lead by alloying it! I'll be glad to swap you already-prepared 20:1 alloy casting lead in 1-lb. ingots for the pure stuff. I use a mix of 19 lbs. of wheelweights, which already have the right antimony content, mixed with a 1-lb. bar of 50/50 bar solder. It's good for handgun bullets, either "as cast" for medium-hard bullets, or icewater-quenched for hard ones. The pure lead gets used for muzzleloader balls and Minie' bullets. The alloy is way too hard to make good muzzleloader balls. IM me!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Well, my wheel weights are here! Big thanks to Buford for sending them!

BTW, do I need to send the T-shirts back?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    You are welcome.
    They are yours to keep. What was the condition of the box?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Funny, I don't remember sending those...

Actually the box held up quite good. No corners banged in or anything. The sub-boxes held up well, too.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,690 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    PLEASE don't adulterate pure lead by alloying it! I'll be glad to swap you already-prepared 20:1 alloy casting lead in 1-lb. ingots for the pure stuff. I use a mix of 19 lbs. of wheelweights, which already have the right antimony content, mixed with a 1-lb. bar of 50/50 bar solder. It's good for handgun bullets, either "as cast" for medium-hard bullets, or icewater-quenched for hard ones. The pure lead gets used for muzzleloader balls and Minie' bullets. The alloy is way too hard to make good muzzleloader balls. IM me!
    Jerry

Suprisingly, when I got serious about casting bullets, I learned that pure/soft lead is harder to get ahold of than alloyed stuff. The next time I pick up lead, I'll save you all the stick on wheel weights. At one time I had several hundred pounds of pure lead that came from sailboat keels and I bought a bunch of tin and antimony from Roto-Metals to alloy it harder.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Thanks, Steve! i used to get the soft lead envelopes that my dentist's X-ray film was packed in, but they went to a digital machine that doesn't use film recently. I keep the soft lead segregated for a small electric-heated ladle, and cast my ML round balls from it.
    Jerry
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I'm looking in to buying it from the local scrap/recycling yards. From what I can tell scrap lead is about 35 cents a pound.

I'll keep my eyes open for junk sailboats.
    Thanks, Steve! i used to get the soft lead envelopes that my dentist's X-ray film was packed in, but they went to a digital machine that doesn't use film recently. I keep the soft lead segregated for a small electric-heated ladle, and cast my ML round balls from it.
    Jerry

Hmmmm. My chiropractor still uses an old school X ray machine.....I might just have to go get cracked.
    Since most of the lead from a saliboat is in that big fin that sticks way down under the middle, you can harvest it pretty quickly with a chain saw! Just catch one up on stilts at a boat yard!
    Jerry
    Since most of the lead from a saliboat is in that big fin that sticks way down under the middle, you can harvest it pretty quickly with a chain saw! Just catch one up on stilts at a boat yard!
    Jerry
    :roll2::roll2:

Would that make you a lead pirate?
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,760 Senior Member
    Sometimes, you can get lead from a carny. They use lead BBs, in the booth where you try to shoot out the little star shape on a paper target.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    Just a little update. I went down to the local scrap yard today, had a couple hunks of copper to cash in. I came home with 112 pounds of lead!!!!

They sell scrap, to anybody who wants it. Lead is 75 cents a pound. I ratted through a bin, looking at pieces of lead pipe, flashing, etc. In the bin I found what they told me were lead wall liners for X ray rooms. Rolled up, thin lead sheets, about 3 feet long, as big around as a baseball bat. I stuffed a 5 gal bucket full of them. Then I noticed a couple of buckets full of brand new wheel weights. One was half full of the old, uncoated kind. They came home too.
    So, 16 lbs of #1 copper, plus $40 = 112 pounds of bullets!
    You suck. I need to find a scrap yard and get to work.
    Overkill is underrated.
    [QUOTE=cpj;73835 Please IM me your address again, I had to delete my IMs since my box was full and deleted yours.
    [/QUOTE]

Ever heard of an address book? :tooth:
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Jerry
    Teach, wouldn't that be 19:1 ratio?
    Not when the solder is 50% lead! 19 1/2 lbs. of lead, 1/2 lb. tin. The tin helps the bullet "wet" the mold and fill it completely. The Antimony in the wheel weight material is what allows it to quench-harden.
    Jerry
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Ahhhh, gotcha. Didnt know that bit of info. Not sure there would be much difference in 19:1 to 20:1 anyways.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    Just called all the tire shops in my area.

All of them are out of wheel weights, and they all sell their wheel weights to a recycler at $40-$50 a bucket, or they send them to the corporate recycling office. Those that sell to a recycler don't want to sell to anyone else. And the buckets they use are small.

So there goes that source. Looks like casting might have to be put by the wayside for now, as the prices that lead goes for greatly diminishes the savings.

Crud.

Why is it "boolits" instead of "bullets'?
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    Why is it "boolits" instead of "bullets'?

To annoy folks like you.

By the way, I spelt it with two "t"s.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    To annoy folks like you.

The hard core bullet casters have a website they call them "Boolits"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    You suck. I need to find a scrap yard and get to work.

Yep, get the lead out Ape Boy :tooth::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Have you tried any with the wheel weights yet.
    Nope. Been kinda busy and sick.

And I need to mail you the check. I will do that today. I am very sorry about that.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Be VERY careful packing them. I sent some bullets last year to a member, and the box broke open. All he got was the box. IIRC, they tell you that you have to used the adhesive strip that is on their box, you cant add tape to it. However, they wont know if you use some glue as well.

If you take them to the post office, they will add tape for free for all first class mail.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Nope. Been kinda busy and sick.

And I need to mail you the check. I will do that today. I am very sorry about that.

Don't worry about it, my treat. I just want to see someone make bullets out of wheel weights. I got this lead mainly for making .500 S$W bullets. I see I need a kiln, mold, and a hardness gage. This gets more involved than I had thought and right now I just don't have the time. I figured making bullets was a simple as the scene in the Patriot when Mel Gibson made that bullet out of the toy soldier.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    To annoy folks like you.

By the way, I spelt it with two "t"s.

Oh, I see. It's a "cutism" like "Winnie" or "Shottie." A fad that will soon pass, leaving those who engage in it sad and embarrassed.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Meh.

Like Big Chief pointed out, it's also from the name of a cast bullets web site. They're been around a while, and I think that if "Winnie" or "shottie" are any indication, it'll be long-lasting.
    Overkill is underrated.