Home Main Category Clubhouse

Zorba likes diesel powered vehicles, so....................

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
I FOUND SOME DIESEL MOTORCYCLES AND SCOOTERS FOR HIM! :)
Looks like some fun rides, and they DO have a throaty exhaust tone. What say you, Zorba?

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    Here's my favorite bike design! B)

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,183 Senior Member
    I say "Effin' A Cool!"!!

I would have liked to have seen more than just the one being ridden - but most of them didn't look like they were complete enough to ride. I like the one with the exhaust flap particularly - it really sounded cool. Having a spinning flywheel by my ankle - not so much...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,280 Senior Member
    They do last a long time. The engine that helps me put food on the table is twelve years old with almost 500,000.00 miles on it.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I say "Effin' A Cool!"!!

I would have liked to have seen more than just the one being ridden - but most of them didn't look like they were complete enough to ride. I like the one with the exhaust flap particularly - it really sounded cool. Having a spinning flywheel by my ankle - not so much...
    Those are the Minimalist designs. :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    May have to hike up yer skirt or wear britches to ride them Zorba.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,293 Senior Member
    A guy I did ranch work for had a diesel powered 4 wheeler...a Kawasaki I think...the thing would clip right along but when you got off the throttle in a hurry it wanted to toss you through the windshield...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    tennmike said:
    Those are the Minimalist designs. :D
    I daresay! I, however, like to have a seat on my motorcycles!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    This one was on a Diesel Brothers episode this season.  It has an 1,100cc diesel engine with an enormous hand made magneto.

This one really takes the cake on custom diesel bikes though.  Same guy built both of them.

Ok, I'll bite: What in tarnation does a diesel engine need with a magneto, "enormous" or otherwise?
    But I like both bikes - they have a utilitarian, no-nonsense look about them that appeals to me. Cool stuff.

Wondered about the magneto, myself. I HATED gasoline tractors with magnetos on them. The magneto seemed to fail at the worst possible times.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Wondered about the magneto, myself. I HATED gasoline tractors with magnetos. They always failed at the worst possible time.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Ya gotta have functioning lights for the street.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Gila said:
    I'd rather have a small alternator with proper belt 'n' pulley gearing for that purpose. Magnetos are a bit twitchy, no matter WHO makes them.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Gila said:
    And you win first prize!  Yep, that is exactly what the magneto was for.
    Yea, as Mike says, an alternator would be a lot smaller! That magneto was gargantuan!

If I remember correctly, the size of the magneto was dictated by the size of the flywheel.
    If I remember correctly, the size of the magneto was dictated by the size of the flywheel.
    Maybe on that motorcycle. On farm tractors the magneto wasn't no bigger than a curled up squirrel in it's leaf bed.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I watched the episode where they built it.  The engine came out of some kind of industrial equipment and it did indeed have a ginormous flywheel.
    Diesel engines, being low speed like steam engines, benefit greatly from a large diameter heavy flywheel. Makes them run both more efficiently and economically.
    ― Douglas Adams