What handloading tool do you use the LEAST?

PegasusPegasus Senior MemberPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
It's funny how things work out. Last night I was thinking of the supplies and tools I need for the new year of shooting matches. I am expecting to see the postman walk with a heavy list any day now as my 1000 bullet order is on its way. I am planning a new FTR rifle build soon (that will be another thread,) and I was just reviewing in my mind's eye the various other things I may need.

Then I started thinking about the tools I was no longer using and one stands out and I thought this would be a good thread. As luck would have it, I read SS3's reloading thread and that caused me to visit my loading area this morning in search of other idle tools.

My first useless tool, and the most expensive, is my Sinclair concentricity meter. I used it exactly twice and found my handloads did not suffer from excessive (or any) runout. I retired the tool.

I was going to mention my old RCBS Jr presses, but one now has SS3's name on it and we are already discussing the logistics.

So, what is a handloading tool that you no longer use?

(I have old primer tubes, hand case tools, etc..)

Replies

• N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    I saw your post earlier, but had to think on it a while.

Without doubt, the most un-used reloading equipment I have is my Forster Case Trimmer! My God, do I hate trimming cases.

Not only do I have to locate the proper pilot for the case at hand, but then I have to chamfer the damn case neck inside and out, so I've got something to be somewhat proud of!

I may take up Golf instead!
  • UglygunUglygun New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    What's wrong with a RCBS Jr.?
    I have been using one since '68!
    Never would give mine up.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Sometimes I feel like my fired brass makers get used less than anything else...
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,219 Senior Member
    Funny that you mention the concetricity meter. I just got to thinking that I haven't checked runout in ages. It's a good one-toime diagnostic tool and a real eye-opener if you happen to have equipment generating bad runout, but once you discover that your gear works fine, it really does just sit on the shelf...a lot.

The case trimmer is a close second, but I find that my RCBS Uniflow has become a relic ever since I got m RCBS Chargemaster. I mean, with how fast the thing throws powder, especially Ramshot and similar ball powders, I only see my self using the Uniflow with VERY high volume pdog loading where I don't mind a .1 or .2 of variance for the sake of speed.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    Stuck case remover. Next would be my Inertia bullet puller.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,548 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »

Without doubt, the most un-used reloading equipment I have is my Forster Case Trimmer! My God, do I hate trimming cases.

Not only do I have to locate the proper pilot for the case at hand, but then I have to chamfer the damn case neck inside and out, so I've got something to be somewhat proud of!

I'm with you on that. Trimming cases is the pits. But my setup with a power drill and the use of the Trim Mate to chamfer and deburr makes it less of a chore. Thankfully, I only trim once every 5 loadings, so while it's not completely idle, the trimmer is rarely used.
    Uglygun wrote: »
    What's wrong with a RCBS Jr.?
    I have been using one since '68!
    Never would give mine up.

As I explained, I started with one almost 30 years ago and was given another one some years back. I have retired my original one in favore of the far superior Redding T-7 turret and will be giving one of my now-idle RCBS Jr to a worthy recipient, a young member here. If you have a problem with that, it's just too bad. (I will keep one in reserve.)
    Gene L wrote: »

I have used my stuck case remover once in the last 15-20 years. Of course, saying that almost assures I will need it again soon. Curse you, Gene. :grin:
    Pegasus wrote: »
    I have used my stuck case remover once in the last 15-20 years. Of course, saying that almost assures I will need it again soon. Curse you, Gene. :grin:
    I, too, have a once-used stuck case removal kit that I completely forgot about until Gene mentioned it. It's just one of those tools that once ou need to use it, it's a lesson hard-singed into your brain that you don't want to repeat.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Funny that you mention the concetricity meter. I just got to thinking that I haven't checked runout in ages. It's a good one-toime diagnostic tool and a real eye-opener if you happen to have equipment generating bad runout, but once you discover that your gear works fine, it really does just sit on the shelf...a lot.

The case trimmer is a close second, but I find that my RCBS Uniolw has become a relic ever since I got m RCBS Chargemaster. I mean, with how fast the thing throws powder, especiallyRamshot and similar ball powders, I only see my self using the Uniflow with VERY high volume pdog loading where I don't mind a .1 or .2 of variance for the sake of speed.

Since I started using my Chargemaster 5 years ago this past Christmas, I retired my RCBS 505 and the Pacific powder measure. However, as I started loading for pistols once again (.45ACP), I find that the pistol powder I use meters very well, so I use the powder measure once again for pistol ammo. I use the Chargemaster scale to check the weight so the RCBS 505 is still idle.
    Durwood wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like my fired brass makers get used less than anything else...

I share that thought.
  • backwaterbobbackwaterbob Member Posts: 102 Member
    My RCBS Bullet puller
    Since I started using my Chargemaster 5 years ago this past Christmas, I retired my RCBS 505 and the Pacific powder measure. However, as I started loading for pistols once again (.45ACP), I find that the pistol powder I use meters very well, so I use the powder measure once again for pistol ammo. I use the Chargemaster scale to check the weight so the RCBS 505 is still idle.
    I'm on a Dillon XL650 for a number of years now, s othe powder measuring is part of the works. Funny though, I still use my Dillon D-Terminator scale to hand measure charges when I'm doing 5 or fewer loads for rifle, but the Uniflow powder measure just hasn't seen the light of day in a long, long time. Maybe it's a sign that I need to get those 500 .22-250 cases I have laying around fired up. It is actually surprisingly accurate with ball powders and fast as hell to boot.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    I don't have a whole lot of the fancy stuff, yet. You guys have helped me a bunch, not buying unneeded gear.
    I'd have to say that my flash hole deburrer, and my Uniflow are probably the least used.
    I only use the deburrer when I buy cheap brass, that I want to shoot accurately. Which isn't too often, anymore.
    The uniflow only gets used when I'm doing a marathon handgun plinking ammo session, which is about once a year.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    My Forester outside neck turning tool, because I only do them once.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Twenty some years ago I watched the Sierra reloading video by David Tubb and just had to have a Neco concentricity gauge. I can't remember where it is; haven't used it in a loooooong time. I've used my stuck case remover twice in the last dozen or so years and each time it was a friend who showed up at my shop with a sheepish look on his face and a sizing die with a stuck case in it (not the same friend).
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »

Yep me too^^^^^^^^^^^:that:
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I'm on a Dillon XL650 for a number of years now, s othe powder measuring is part of the works. Funny though, I still use my Dillon D-Terminator scale to hand measure charges when I'm doing 5 or fewer loads for rifle, but the Uniflow powder measure just hasn't seen the light of day in a long, long time. Maybe it's a sign that I need to get those 500 .22-250 cases I have laying around fired up. It is actually surprisingly accurate with ball powders and fast as hell to boot.

Yes, with ball or flake powder, a measure is very fast and quite accurate. I usually charge my pistol ammo with the cases still in the tray, so that can be very quick. For rifle ammo, since I seat the bullet right after I have charged the powder, there is no significant time saving with a powder measure compared to my Chargemaster in automatic mode, and my preferred powder, Varget, simply does not meter well but flows from the CM very nicely.
    Yes, with ball or flake powder, a measure is very fast and quite accurate. I usually charge my pistol ammo with the cases still in the tray, so that can be very quick. For rifle ammo, since I seat the bullet right after I have charged the powder, there is no significant time saving with a powder measure compared to my Chargemaster in automatic mode, and my preferred powder, Varget, simply does not meter well but flows from the CM very nicely.

With the Uniflow for huge volumes of prairie dog loads, I'll usually charge 50 cases at a time and then seat the same 50. I'm willing to sacrifice some precision for rapid loading when the volume gets that high and the quarry is little more than a varmint. In this manner, you can really scream through some cases. But, for a batch load of 100 hunting rounds, I'm doing it just like you: one case at a time with the Chargemaster followed by immediate seating on the single stage. The modern iteration of the Chargemaster is fast enough that by the time I've put a case into the press and fumbled a bullet out of the ammo box, if the CM isn't completely done chucking a charge, it will be within a few seconds. I want the precision of an individually measured cartridge when meat (and potentially a whole big game season) is on the line.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    My outside neck turning tool.

Mine is a Sinclair

God Art, you sound worse then me, well... close anyhow. I used to cry about having to trickle powder. I still hate to even think about having to do that. I am so happy I have a Charge Master now. I haven't trickled powder in over a year I think. That really held up my reloading because I would put it off thinking about trickling. Such a pain in the... well you get it.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

God Art, you sound worse then me, well... close anyhow. I used to cry about having to trickle powder. I still hate to even think about having to do that. I am so happy I have a Charge Master now. I haven't trickled powder in over a year I think. That really held up my reloading because I would put it off thinking about trickling. Such a pain in the... well you get it.
    Mine is a Forster and I've used it maybe 5 times in 5 years. But I wouldn't be without it. I can see a difference with cases that are outside turned, at least I feel I can.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    temmi wrote: »
    My outside neck turning tool.

Mine is a Sinclair

I have to use mine when making .220 Russian into .22 PPC. Won't chamber otherwise. So it's a seldom used tool, but I've used it more times than my stuck case remover, less occasions than my inertial bullet puller, but it's important in many instances. So I've used it a number of times on a limited number of brass. Other time I used it was converting 30-06 to 25-06.

I used my case trimmer recently to turn 32-20 brass into .310 Cadet. Didn't get use before that, although I consider it an essential tool.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    My RCBS Bullet puller

I used to use it but after I got good at this hobbie it just collects dust!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    You probably have just cursed yourself. :-)

Another tool that is pretty much retired now is the little hand deburr/chamfer tool. While I spent many hours with that tool in my hands, I have not used it since I got my RCBS Trim Mate.

I also ran across a primer pocket swagger tool kit that has been collecting dust for a couple decades now; the last time I had to remove a primer pocket crip, the Trim Mate did short work of that.

I found an old RCBS primer seating tool, the table-top model. That thing has not been used in over 20 years.

It's amazing how much stuff one can accumulate in 30 years of handloading.
  • UglygunUglygun New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    "...will be giving one of my now-idle RCBS Jr to a worthy recipient, a young member here. If you have a problem with that, it's just too bad. (I will keep one in reserve.)[/QUOTE]
    My apologies, didn't read your post correctly. Cudos for passing on unused presses to the uninitiated potential reloaders.
    I have picked up a number of single stage presses dies and scales at garage sales for next to nothing and have passed them on to others who show a real interest.
    My old Jr sets next to it's big brother RockChucker and an old ECHO press.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Stuff I don't use gets given away.

My stuck case remover is a tap , 1/4-20 SHCS , washer and any 1/4 drive socket that fits over the case head.

Bullet puller - not used often , but indespensible when needed for pulling mystery ammo.

I do have an old C&H cannelure tool Dan J gave me. I only use it so I can load ungrooved 10mm jacketed bullets in my Herters .401.

I do have some dies & shell holders for calibers I no longer own guns for.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    The priming arm on the press. I use a hand held auto-prime........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    The priming arm on the press. I use a hand held auto-prime........Robin

Hey Hawken I agree. That thing in my book is almost usless. I don't like em because no way you can feel the primer seat with that much leverage. I used mine about a month back when i found I had lost the guts to my small rifle primer Lee Auto Prime. When I used it I could see dents in the primer base because of all the pressure you can put on them. I hated it so bad I ordered a new Lee auto prime so I could have one of each ready to go, SRP and LRP. Since I dont do Pistol primers much I didn't worry and I think it has all the guts to do them. Anyway, for about $22 including shipping I think, I got it and no more using the primer arm.