First Fall Deer Hunt - 2018

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,970 Senior Member
edited October 21 in Hunting #1
Took the buddy whose .25-06 I have been working on to my friend's ranch to cull a deer yesterday evening.  I am still searching for the perfect load for his rifle, but we decided to use my 115gr Berger load for yesterday's hunt.

General Rifle season isn't open yet, but the ranch is under Managed Land Deer Permits and that season opened October 1st and runs through the end of February.  We have lots of buck and does to cull to get the numbers down.

We set up in a stand on a hill with overcast skies and a slight drizzle.  Deer movement was slower than normal, but we eventually had a big group under the feeder.  Lots of good up and coming bucks, with a couple big boys, 2 does and a couple young ones on the chopping block.

There was a fork horn and a 5 point I was interested in but I wanted them to get close to each other so I could compare body size.  They finally walked past each other and the 5 point won the coin toss (or loss, depending on how you look at it) and got to catch a bullet.

The group began to walk off and I told my buddy to shoot him when he turned broadside.  On cue, he sent a 115gr Berger H-VLD (2,920 fps MV) across 75 yards and into the chest of the buck as he quartered ever so slightly.  The buck jumped into the air and took off on a death run into the brush.

Tracking was easy after a few yards and the blood really started flowing and spraying all over the place.  An approximate 50 yard run ended in a very dead cull buck.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,970 Senior Member
    I’ve used 3 different Berger Hunting Bullets so far. 

115gr in .257 
    130gr in 6.5
    140gr in 7mm

The only one to actually work has been the .257 bullet and it continues to be a champ. The other two failed miserably on several occasions and I’ve dumped them. 

Entrance

Entrance back of right lung. 

Shredded the inside side of the right lung. 

Exit front of left lung. 

Exit left side tight behind shoulder. 

After cleaning, quartering, and putting the deer in ice, we had a drink and fried up fresh deer heart and nuts. Man, it was good!!!

edited October 21 #4

What a great start to the season. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    Most certainly is a great start. Well done all around
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,409 Senior Member
    Nope you weren't there-----no bare feet in the pics
    This message has been deleted
    NN said:
    Nope you weren't there-----no bare feet in the pics
    Well, here ya go. No shirt. No shoes. No problem. 

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,045 Senior Member
    Nicely done
    I've totally written off Bergers for hunting

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,409 Senior Member
    OK, much better
    This message has been deleted
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,818 Senior Member
    Great and tasty start to the season!  Never had deer testicles, I need to try them...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    I've had lamb fries at the locally famous Cattleman's Cafe at the Fort Worth stockyards, and they were delicious.(They were out of calf fries).
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,284 Senior Member
    I guess I heard right.

Speed kills.🏁
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,852 Senior Member
    edited October 22 #13
    Great and tasty start to the season!  Never had deer testicles, I need to try them...
    They are cheap. You can get them  under  a buck. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    :rimshot:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,714 Senior Member
    That exit wound says it all.  Wow.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Wambli - 

You’d have to be nuts...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Well I’ve been know to be a bit testi... 😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,162 Senior Member
    Yep, that exit wound is a doozy. So how does one season deer nuts properly? Red or white wine? Stout or pale ale? 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited October 23 #19
    Boiled with salt, then sliced in half, seasoned with homemade rib rub and lightly fried. 
    OK, but, no adult beverage recommendation? A well travelled shoe salesmen such as yourself must have been exposed to culture once or twice:) 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,852 Senior Member
    Since the quote feature sucks. 

Anyway, his beer recommendation is Shiner. Therefore, worthy of being ignored. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Jerm's Bum Wine, Vintage ADT (Aged During Transportation), served at room temp, preferably out of a bottle inside a crumpled and slightly greasy paper bag...
    Jerm's Bum Wine, Vintage ADT (Aged During Transportation), served at room temp, preferably out of a bottle inside a crumpled and slightly greasy paper bag...
    It is at the hunting shack now, has been aging all summer in my cellar, hopefully some label worthy photos will be forthcoming....
    knitepoet said:
    Nicely done
    I've totally written off Bergers for hunting

They’ve certainly had some manufacturing issues. But, you can’t argue with the above results. It did exactly what they described. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,045 Senior Member
    edited October 24 #25
    Zee said:
    They’ve certainly had some manufacturing issues. But, you can’t argue with the above results. It did exactly what they described. 
    I fall into the "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me TWICE, shame on me" camp.

They may be making the absolute "best" hunting bullets in the world now, however, I can't bring myself to try them again and see.

And you are correct, I can't argue with that performance. I won't be switching back to them though
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    Zee said:
    I fall into the "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me TWICE, shame on me" camp.

Hmmmm, I can relate to that concept. 

😎