Home Main Category Clubhouse

When Catfishing with Hotdogs, Expect the Unexpected...

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member

Who knew  bass would eat a hotdog off the bottom? Yes, I know I have two pair of glasses on. I'm an old fart who needs my readers...
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,538 Senior Member
    I know bluegill will take bait off the bottom.  Never thought of bass fishing with a hotdog though.  Might have to try it in the spring.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    Bass will eat a hotdog off the bun if you let them!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,280 Senior Member
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    Nice bass. I've caught bass, walleye and northern on bottom baits so you just never really know.

Sako
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Took my ex-sil catfishing a while back, he was using hot dogs we both caught some than he hooked up with a real monster, when he finally got it up it was a huge soft shelled turtle.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Yup, hotdog and circle hook! I take the barbs off my hooks so they remove easily. I'm surpised this guy didn't surface and try to shake the hook, but he stayed under until I lifted him out of the water. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Turkey bacon works good for a lot of fish, too. It's O.K. to use turkey bacon as fish bait; it ain't real bacon to start with, so using it to catch food with is putting it to a higher use! It's got a good wiggle if you cut it in Loooooong triangular pieces.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    For years long before there were soft baits we used bacon hooked to a bucktail, it seemed to work as good or better than a piece of shrimp and stayed on the hook longer.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    Caught a bass on a limb line once. Like you said. All he had to do was jump and throw the hook but he chose not to. 

Hawk