I Jumped Full-Tilt into the Fancy Glock Bandwagon

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,332 Senior Member
edited October 24 in General Firearms #1
Mostly full tilt, anyway. I didn't go so crazy as to get a fully tricked out Agency Arms, but I did finally buckle and send my G19.4 frame to Lead Baron Customs in Utah for his frame work. 

LBC was a pleasure to work with. He places you in a "queue" with a date to send your gun his way, does the work within a day or two, and has it back to you promptly after that. He even sends text photo updates if you allow him to. This way you have your gun while waiting for your turn to come instead of your gun sitting in a pile of pending work at his shop. The stippling job is far more professional than I could hope to accomplish and was well worth the money. 

While the gun was gone, I had my RMR cut slide Cerakoted "Midnight Bronze" and also had Ameriglo suppressor height sights installed. Meanwhile, I ordered an Overwatch Precision TAC trigger assembly to drop in when I got the frame back. While it isn't everyone's cup of tea, I'm pleased. Besides, I drink coffee. 

Specs:

Glock 19 Gen 4
ATEI milled slide 
Trijicon RM06 type 1
Ameriglo Suppressor sights
Overwatch Precision TAC trigger 
Lead Baron Customs "The Goblin" stipple with finger groove removal, trigger guard under cut, indexing ledges, and done with the "enhanced carry" texture 
Agency Arms magwell

Overall I'm pleased. I'm really warming up to the RMR as a carry/EDC addition, though at this time I am not 100% in my ability to pick up the dot on initial presentation, so I'm still carrying with the stock factory slide and Trijicon HDs

The Overwatch TAC trigger assembly is a big improvement over the stock set up, even when I had a 3.5# connector installed. With that said, it's definitely still a Glock trigger and has some mush/creep in the second stage. I'm also a much bigger fan of the shape than I thought I would be. 

I'll hopefully get to the range this Friday and put this gun through it's paces. I have a shot timer coming and hopefully the range will be mostly empty so I can see if I've manifested any time advantage with the dot. As far as conceal-ability, there is no difference when carried AIWB. I'll start a thread about that in the PD section. 
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,818 Senior Member
    I’m usually not a fan of tricked out Glocks but that is one well executed example that makes me want one!!!  Good job and I’m looking forward to you range report!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,284 Senior Member
    There were many like it before.

Now.....

That one is yours.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,520 Senior Member
    Looks good. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    Looks like a Glock that was made just for you.  Looking forward to your range report
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,145 Senior Member
    Why does Glock not offer some sort of texturing from the factory if it is a serious enough deficit that you have to have it done on a custom basis? Serious question.
    I hope it is all you expect it to be but I just do't get it!

Sako
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,284 Senior Member
    Probly because they stay focused on what they do offer. No frills, reliability that lasts.

Or not?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    edited October 24 #8
    Glock offers texturing, some just prefer or need "more." For most users, it's not an issue.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,034 Senior Member
    I like it... and there aren't many Glocks I could say that about!

I'd like to have something customized someday. Either for form or function, but preferably both.  As for the question of "Why?", I would simply reply "Why not?".  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,970 Senior Member
    On board with everything but the stippling. Never been a fan. Always looks like a half baked garage job. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,034 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    On board with everything but the stippling. Never been a fan. Always looks like a half baked garage job. 
    I would usually agree with that, but this stipple has a pattern to it, rather than the usual random non-pattern.  Myself?  I guess I find this particular pattern visually appealing.  Since I haven't handled the gun, I can only guess at whether I would care for the feel of it. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    I've never thought of a Glock as something I would spend money customizing, but I wouldn't scoff at it, without a personal test or maybe testimony from a trusted acquaintenace.

Let us know how the testing goes, and whether you think you got value for your dollar.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,852 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I’m with stupid. Plastic in general ain’t my bag, plastic melted with a heated nail even less. But the other stuff is cool. For a Glaaawwwwwwk
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 959 Senior Member
    Ok, somebody has to say it so it might as well be me.  Isn't dressing up a Glock kind of like putting lipstick on a pig?  :D  They were designed to function, not look good.  That being said, that actually does improve the looks by quite a lot.  thumbs up hand gesture smiley
    Actually the upgrades in this gun are not bling.  They all have a functional reason.  Better grip, better trigger, better sight system.  Nothing wrong with making what’s already a superb fighting handgun into a better machine,no?

I know ss3 is going for advantage, not looks....
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Except for the bronze slide.  That’s just pimping... 😎
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    I wonder if those who don't like upgrading Glocks feel the same about turning

into something like this...

Overkill is underrated.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,332 Senior Member
    Actshuuaally, the slide wasn't refinished under the RMR where it had been milled, so the Cerakote was to put an extra corrosion resistant layer there 😜

The color choice, however, is indeed simply because I can.
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Actshuuaally, the slide wasn't refinished under the RMR where it had been milled, so the Cerakote was to put an extra corrosion resistant layer there 😜

The color choice, however, is indeed simply because I can.
    Like I said...  B)
    I wonder if those who don't like upgrading Glocks feel the same about turning

into something like this...

Yeah that!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,332 Senior Member
    I was able to hit the range today and put 200 rounds through the gun. Overall I like the upgrades! Unfortunately, I was only able to put the gun on paper at 7 yards, so not much demonstrable difference between the RMR and iron sights (I'd say maybe a 4" group vs. a 5" group). The single most significant upgrade was of course the trigger.

I blew through about 50 rounds shooting at a prairie dog silhouette at 120yds, now THAT was fun. I only connected a few times, but I'd say my group was an estimated 24" or so at that distance. Not bad for a plastic fantastic fired offhand, even with the RMR.

The distinct advantage of the RMR is of course only having to focus on the target/threat. That advantage definitely manifested itself today. The disadvantage is the small viewing window. I only had issues with presentation once, but it needs more work.