Home Main Category Clubhouse

Throwing things away

coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior MemberPosts: 6,624 Senior Member
What's the strangest thing you've ever had to throw out?

Until today, for me the answer would have been a sofa sleeper that somebody had dumped on our property at work. Going forward, my newly achieved level of ****?! will be an American made eleven inch "rooster" complete with suction cup attachment.  I'm guessing it was given as a gag gift and tossed in our parking lot just because.  Funny thing, the name on the invoice inside the box was a guy's name...
"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
George Carlin

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,817 Senior Member
    I won't say "strange" but "peculiar"...probably discarded decorations after my daughters' birthdays, like 1:1 or bigger scale assorted cardboard or styrofoam cartoon characters (This year was a Vampirina/Doc Mc Stuffings combo....that's what you end up when twins don't agree; last year it was the whole "Frozen" cast!).

As a side note, few things are actually thrown away down here, other than actual food, paper/cloth residues and plastic; most things like old furniture, damaged/useless electronics or such are either sold or recycled....will be very difficult to see someone throwing into the trash a broken chair or an old TV, but you'll hardly see anyone hoarding assorted stuff like in the US.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,297 Senior Member
    Believe it or not, I've thrown away two guns. One was a BB gun misused by a child that was forced to witness it's destruction. The other was illegal and had to be destroyed. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,864 Senior Member
    If ya been through enough hurricanes and cross country moves; nothing you throw out
    is strange, just necessary.
    Hey, I just remembered. I once threw away a Ford van, and another time I threw away an old Plymouth.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    NN said:
    If ya been through enough hurricanes and cross country moves; nothing you throw out
    is strange, just necessary.
    I think rubber "roosters" qualify for the strange category either way, but point taken.
    George Carlin
    0K-----there is one thing; we had most of a discarded human skeleton from a Hospital
    that we put out for Halloween.  One move we did throw it out.  
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,304 Senior Member

Until today, for me the answer would have been a sofa sleeper that somebody had dumped on our property at work. Going forward, my newly achieved level of ****?! will be an American made eleven inch "rooster" complete with suction cup attachment.  I'm guessing it was given as a gag gift and tossed in our parking lot just because.  Funny thing, the name on the invoice inside the box was a guy's name...
    What kind of dick would do something like that? 
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    When I throw something away, I find out next week, month, year that I desperately need it, or part of it. So I hoard junk. I had some 5/16" thick coulter blades that came off an old grain drill. They were the plain flat ones. I needed to aerate some ground and didn't want to rent or buy an aerator. Put the coulter blades on a proper sized shop made shaft, added some spare disc harrow spools I had laying about, and a frame on top for a 50 gallon drum of water for weight, put the mess on my homemade 3-point hitch handy bar and it sliced up the ground pretty good. Perked the hayfield up getting more water into the soil.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited October 2018 #10
    Jayhawker said: bu

What kind of dick would do something like that? 
    A real ****, for sure! 🤣

The best part of this?  As this was apparently ordered online and delivered to the customer's residence, the delivery tag was (understandably) removed from the package prior to dumping the load near our lube station, but the rightful owner forgot to check all the recesses inside their box... (yes, I am doing this intentionally) there was an invoice inside, complete with name (a dude... not that there's anything wrong with that😉) and address. I considered returning the beast, but decided to stick it to the tailgate of a buddy's truck instead. 

I wonder how long it takes for him to notice?😈
    George Carlin
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,190 Senior Member
    Probably ordered by a "friend" of the addressee...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    We put out a garbage can of broken glass-----G-men were knot happy.
    In this particular instance, the cosmoline would have likely exceeded the value of the gun substantially.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,190 Senior Member
    Probably ordered by a "friend" of the addressee...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    cpj said:
    Big rubber **** suction cupped to a buddy’s truck? That’s fantastic.You BETTER have taken pics. 
    After some reflection, that idea was nixed.  He's got young kids at home and I didn't want one of them to be the one to find it.  So, back to the drawing board...

And yes, there will be pictures.  After all, I am only an overgrown 8th grader with gray hair. 
    George Carlin
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,295 Senior Member
    People throw things away ? What a concept !  I know this really shocks some of you guys that knows me .
    Strangest thing that ever went out of here is ..... a doctors exam table complete with foot holders . All the stainless tools I kept for a few years ..... found other uses for them .
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,304 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Big rubber **** suction cupped to a buddy’s truck? That’s fantastic.You BETTER have taken pics. 
    After some reflection, that idea was nixed.  He's got young kids at home and I didn't want one of them to be the one to find it.  So, back to the drawing board...

And yes, there will be pictures.  After all, I am only an overgrown 8th grader with gray hair. 
    If you don't want to subject you buddy to it...you need to find another target, because this  is entirely too good to pass up....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,653 Senior Member
    I nominate some random, rude person, in a parking lot >:)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,092 Senior Member
    Save it for the next wedding you attend, toss it in the gift pile with out a card, attend the gift opening, sit by grandma.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited October 2018 #20
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Save it for the next wedding you attend, toss it in the gift pile with a card, attend the gift opening, sign it "Grandma".
    FIFY
    George Carlin
    Old Ron said:
    People throw things away ? What a concept !  I know this really shocks some of you guys that knows me .
    Strangest thing that ever went out of here is ..... a doctors exam table complete with foot holders . All the stainless tools I kept for a few years ..... found other uses for them .
    Did you find another use for the foot holders?
    George Carlin
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,295 Senior Member
    If I went into that I probably will get banned of here ! lol
    I have had my sick moments in life !
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    When I throw something away, I find out next week, month, year that I desperately need it, or part of it. So I hoard junk. I had some 5/16" thick coulter blades that came off an old grain drill. They were the plain flat ones. I needed to aerate some ground and didn't want to rent or buy an aerator. Put the coulter blades on a proper sized shop made shaft, added some spare disc harrow spools I had laying about, and a frame on top for a 50 gallon drum of water for weight, put the mess on my homemade 3-point hitch handy bar and it sliced up the ground pretty good. Perked the hayfield up getting more water into the soil.
    Most of the time when I throw something in usable condition away I soon end up needing it. I had a sturdy wooden 12"X12"X6" box filled with never needed serviceable nuts, bolts, and screws that I dropped off at the recycling center. Within 2 weeks I needed several of the nuts and bolts which I purchased at the True Value. This continued occasionally. About 2 years later I could have used the box. I figure I helped keep the local hardware store and gas station in business. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Getting about that time of year again, so I'll tell you one of my hoarding things that actually come in handy. The wire twist ties, and the plastic ones used to hold bags of bread and hamburger buns closed come in handy when hanging Christmas lights. Those, and some push pins or thumb tacks for cork boards are easy to hang lights with, and make it easy to adjust the lights for whatever effect you want on the front of the house. and the tacks/push pins are easy to remove.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    You know what comes in handy when hanging Christmas decorations?  A wife that does it without assuming you’ll help!  😁
    I don't dare do that with my wife.  The one time I tried it, she made it look like it could be used as the centerfold of Playgirl  magazine...
    No good deed goes unpunished...