EDC With a Slide Mounted MRDS - Conceal-ability

2»

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    I want to post something from many years back. It's not completely relevant to the issue of red dots, but it's relevant to the issue of technology and initially not believing in it or completely trusting it. I learned a lesson by doing this experiment and was able to quasi-scientifically quantify a significant improvement in performance involving three experienced hand-gunners using two identical weapons, but with different sighting equipment. I think that does apply here.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/tactics_training_nsights_080906/138690
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Regarding night sights, I have swung back and forth on the pendulum. 

From a work (LE?) point of view, I have grown to dislike them.  They tend to glow nice and bright so the shooter can see them. Unfortunately, they glow nice and bright so that the opponent or person of interest can see them as well when the gun is holstered.  I have had to place my hand over my holstered sidearm on many occasion when sneaking up on or hiding from folks in very close proximity. Red dots do it as well if not dimmed after the day/night transition. 
    I’ve also come to the conclusion, if LE intend to use a sidearm at night.......put a damn light on the thing.  If they have NV available, put a laser on it. 

Having made a shift in my method of shooting with handgun sights, I prefer a bright ass fiber optic or painted front sight with a more subdued rear. Many/most of my regularly carried handguns wear such a set up. Having had most of them for awhile and the tritium night sights becoming dim over time, I am replacing the front sights with gaudy fiber optic (protected) posts. They stand out life a lady of the night in church. Perfect!!!

I am transitioning from the “focus on the front sight” school of thought to the “focus on the target” band wagon. A gaudy front sight allows me to do this. Focus on the target while still seeing the sight. My speed has increased ridiculously and my accuracy from 15 yards and in has not been hindered. In fact, I am raising my acceptable standard by decreasing the acceptable impact area. Only IPSC-A Zone or “Half A” hits are acceptable with any speed drill. 

Red dots are nice but take a fair amount of training to acquire as the sight picture is quite different. If not used to using one, you have to “find the dot” on presentation. Doable. But, takes familiarization. 

I cant afford a red dot on all my handguns. Hell, I can’t afford night sights in all my handguns. I find a gaudy fiber optic front to be a great compromise for speed/accuracy that won’t break the bank.

I didn't used to think so.  
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    The DOD is working on Laser Eyes... so soon it will be moot. You have to take a pill though...
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,958 Senior Member
    My biggest peeve with the dot sight is inclement weather. I don't have one on a handgun but I do on my HD shotgun.

I took it out to the range on a bad day once and it started raining pretty good. Well, the lens got wet and the dot started looking kinda funky so I wiped the lens with my thumb and managed to make a smear mark across the lens that made the whole thing almost useless. The smear was so bad you couldn't even use it to co-witness the front sight. I used a shop rag in my range bag and cleaned it off and I was back in business. It's a good tool for HD, inside the house but don't take it out in bad weather. If you do, bring something to clean the lens off besides your thumb.

Just sayin'.
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Use Rain-X. It works. I put it on my red dot optics. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
2»