Home Main Category General Firearms

Need Input re: Winchester 1001 O/U Shotgun recall/replacement 1994-Now

LeisurephileLeisurephile Posts: 5 New Member
I am looking for information and personal experience from anyone that may be able to help.  I have a Winchester 1001 12ga O/U shotgun.  It took me a while to find any info re: the 1001, but from what I've read, all 1001s were recalled in 1995 after the Italian made barrels were found to be sub-standard and likely to explode under firing pressure. From what I've read, the 1001s were commonly replaced with the Winchester 101 or another model from the Browning catalog. Now, the 1001 in my possession was just sent back to me from Winchester after Joe in customer service said the gun had been re-barreled in 2007. There was no paperwork included regarding the 2007 repair and the only paperwork with the returned gun said "NOT OUR PRODUCT", so as of now, I'm taking Joe's word that the gun was actually repaired. Serial No's on Receiver and barrels match and were verified by Joe. (My father won this gun at a hunt in 2011 and was personally delivered the gun by Gus Bader, the owner of Tri-Star Arms in North Kansas City, MO, the original importer of the gun) 
So, I'd like to know if there are any other 1001s out there that have been re-barreled, and more importantly, has anyone else out there had a recalled 1001 sent back to them by the factory? I have seen this gun re-barreled overseas or outside the Winchester factory for which Winchester will not honor the recall, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  I've only heard of replacements for this model, both before and after the date of the repair (2007), so why is this gun different?  If there aren't many 1001s on the market, are they valuable or just a liability?
Any info would be helpful as I'm feeling a little uneasy about this situation.  I'll be contacting Winchester / Browning soon, but I want more info first.  Thanks!!

Replies

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #2

Need Input Now!!!!!!

And third time of asking?

Perhaps it would be best to go on to some form of Winchester Owners forum.

http://www.winchesterowners.com/viewforum.php?f=92

or https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/winchester-shotgun-forum/

and ask?

Over here they were never repaired just replaced.

Most UK customers were able to exchange their guns for Mirokus, I don't remember which model.

• LeisurephileLeisurephile Posts: 5 New Member
    Sorry, das68, a better header would have been "1994-present".  Thanks for your contribution. I appreciate it.
  • mfowlkesmfowlkes Posts: 1 New Member
    I have the same situation as "Leisurephile". I own a Winchester 1001Sporting Clays shotgun that I purchased years ago and have never shot it . It is a beautiful gun. My son has really taken to Clay shooting and just competed in the SCTP Nationals in Ohio earlier this month. He currently shoots a Winchester SX3 and a Browning Gold Hunter Sporting. He was wanting to start shooting the Winchester 1001 so I decided to do a little research on the gun. I learned about the recall of the gun on this forum.  I contacted Winchester and sent then pictures of the gun and serial number (TNXXXX). I was told by Winchester today that my gun was sent to Miruki in Italy (?. I believe Miruki is in Japan not Italy but I may be mistaken) to be destroyed but was instead re-barreled and therefore NOT subject to recall because it was repaired. Since it supposedly was not repaired by them they take no responsibility for it. Does anyone know the correct history on this? Are the repaired guns, by Miruki, safe to shoot? I also think its odd that Winchester has relieved themselves from all responsibility since it seems that it was them who sent the guns to Miruki in the first place. I also told the fellow at Winchester that the gun has no Miruki markings, only Winchester engraved on the side plates and the "horse and rider" on the floor plate.  Any information or history on this would be greatly appreciated.  At this point I am uneasy about my son firing it! I'm also very disappointed in both Winchester as well as Browning. Two companies for which I own over 50 firearms! Thanks for any help! 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,587 Senior Member
    That would be Miroku and it is a Japanese company
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 262 Member
    edited July 29 #6
    mfowlkes said:
       I was told by Winchester today that my gun was sent to Miruki in Italy (?. I believe Miruki is in Japan not Italy but I may be mistaken) to be destroyed but was instead re-barreled and therefore NOT subject to recall because it was repaired.

Marocchi is a shotgun maker in Italy.
    I have read the M1001 was made by Marocchi through the 1990's
    Drop them an e-mail, they may be of help.

Telefono: +39 030 80 10 14
    Telefono: +39 030 89 00 850
    Fax: +39 030 89 00 370
    E-mail: [email protected]