Home Main Category Hunting

Addendum to Montana hunt - camping trailer rental

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,227 Senior Member
I decided to try to find a camping trailer to rent rather than a motel (apparently, they're all booked well in advance) or rough camp.  I found a web site, rvshare.com, that facilitates this very thing.  Through the site, I found a 28' Aerolite for a very reasonable price.

Rather than pulling a trailer from Texas to Montana and back, I picked up the trailer in Gillette, Wy., which is less than 100 miles from where we hunted.  Even though we camped in the middle of a BLM sage brush flat, it made for a very comfortable camp.

Just something to consider if you plan to make out of state/area trips and need a place to stay.

I am not a paid representative or spokesperson for this site, but I did find their service invaluable.

Mods, feel free to delete, edit or move this thread as you see fit (like you need my permission :))
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    A smart alternative for sure. I hate pulling trailers. Don't know why. I do it for a living.

A few years back I talked to some out of state hunters. Pulled a forty foot gooseneck from Pennsylvania. The rearend failed on a brand new pick up crossing the mountains. Renting closer to destination would be better on equipment.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Good advice isn't moderated, and that's some great advice.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,982 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #4
    Rentals are possibly cheaper near your hunting destination as well. The price difference between Gillette and Denver was nothing to sneeze at. 

Ive never hunted out of a proper trailer before,  a pop up, but not a fully equipped rig. I'll be looking into buying one sooner than later,  it was great
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Good to know. Thanks!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Rentals are possibly cheaper near your hunting destination as well. The price difference between Gillette and Denver was nothing to sneeze at. 

Ive never hunted out of a proper trailer before,  a pop up, but not a fully equipped rig. I'll be looking into buying one sooner than later,  it was great

Amen to that.  The rig Jerry rented was absurdly comfortable and convenient for our needs.  We'll be considering this option next time out.  Being able to cook, refrigerate/freeze food, have heat and running water, etc. is a seriously worthwhile investment.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Also forgot to add that we saw deer right out of camp and were able to stalk them to within range.  Hard to do from a motel.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Also forgot to add that we saw deer right out of camp and were able to stalk them to within range.  Hard to do from a motel.

Well, ya can (and I believe we did have a deer in town cross in front of the truck that one night we headed in for pizza/subs), but motel owners tend to get annoyed when their customers jump to the sound of gunfire  while checking in.

Seriously though, it was one helluva convenience to have to first deer down within eyesight of the accommodations.  Very nice to simply walk back and grab the packing gear instead of having to lug it both ways.

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.