Home Main Category Hunting

Put on the lard and onions- a first deer!

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 14,291 Senior Member
Son # 3 got drawn for a youth lottery hunt at a local State Park. We hunted all day yesterday, dawn till dusk with a break to go eat and check out a lefty shotgun for him, we had one doe come in that AM that winded us and we saw 3 others when walking in and out on the field adjoining the woods, no good shot presented, but the frequent sightings was an improvement from our area we hunt in up north. We got out the door again this AM on time, we left the blind up in the woods after we moved it yesterday afternoon, we were on a strip of woods between a field and a lake and I put our backs to the lake in a strip of oak trees, the wind was in our faces this AM, we got there early enough to take a 1/2 hour nap before sunrise.
We had a doe skirt the area we could see about 1/2 hour after sunrise so that got him woke up. I spottted a head and some ears coming off the field we came in on and heading straight towards us but the deer turned before entering the strip of woods we were in. We saw the earlier doe again, but she was again on the move and was gone before he could draw a bead. A few minutes later the deer he shot came from the direction the doe had just come from and walked right up to about 20 yds before my son shot, I saw the deer hump down and take off tail down. He was going to let another one go, but I had him stop, I figured it was a good hit at that range. I could only wait about 10 minutes and I had to go look for some blood. I figured the buck had been chasing the doe.
We went to the area where the deer was standing, no blood, no hair. We did some circles looking on all of the oak leaves on the ground and a few standing plants, nothing. The deer had headed off towards the field in front of us, so I put him on point and told him to go where he thought the deer went, (I knew where I would go, I wanted him to think it through) went about 10 yds into the grass and there he was. Not a drop of blood anywhere, not even on the deer's flank. Had him walk up with the gun low ready and give him the butt tap and the eyeball poke, dead deer.
I could not feel the entrance wound and there was no exit, I could see where the fur was scuffed behind the shoulder and that was his aiming point, deer was quartering a bit with his left shoulder towards us when he was shot, I will get a picture when the butcher grabs him this afternoon, my son is working for them, but not butchering. The bullet pretty much cleaned off the top of the heart and hit the top of the stomach, the chest cavity was soup above the diaphragm, there was some bile in the mix so I did a poor autopsy in the field and we were way too messy to touch our phones, much less put our hands in our pockets, I could not find the bullet. We had about a 3/4 of a mile drag so I was interested in getting that over with, so sorry no good photos of the impacted organs, everything was in intact except for the very top of the heart and stomach. I will get a picture of the inside chest wall later.
Remington 20 ga. 870 express, Remington saddle mount, Remington rifled barrel, Remington swivels, Millet DMS1 1-4X24 lighted reticle, Millet rings(IIRC), Hornady Superperformance  2 3/4" 250 gr. monoflex sabot, Butler Creek sling.

One for the chicks.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Congrats to you and your son, Scott.  
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    That deer looks fat snd healthy.

The best ven you two will ever eat.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #4
    A couple of things, this was the first time I have hunted deer out of a pop up blind, it was quite nice, especially since it rained off and on yesterday, it is a Barnett blind of some flavor, I have had it for about 5 years, only turkey hunted out of it before. I bought the monopod, CPJ liked and forgot it both days, the kid used the edge of the window as a rest and shot a hole in the screen, fortunately, the screen mesh did not burst into flames as the warning label on the blind suggested:) We were layered up pretty good for 40 in the AM and 50's by PM, Badlands bamboo long johns for a base, Core 4 Element merino for a top, fleece pullovers from LLBean and LandsEnd over that, I had LLBean wool hunting pants on, he had some army surplus winter bibs that were very loose on him, I had a Columbia fleece windproof for my top layer, my son had a Natural Habitat parka I got on clearance from Sierra Outdoors, I had my 400gr Wolverines on my feet and the kid had some Browning 1000gr on. Got all of the gear on sale over the years, I have 4 sons, the gear gets used and handed down, so far so good.

I sighted the gun in using Hornady reduced recoil loads and then promptly misplaced the last 2 boxes I had and did not realise it until friday night, Walmart did not have any, so I stuck with Hornady Superperformance since the bullets were the same weight and style but 200 fps faster, it will be interesting to check these at the range to see how the groups compare  
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Congrats to you and your son, Scott.  
    Thanks hey, it is nice to get the first one under his belt.
    That deer looks fat snd healthy.

The best ven you two will ever eat.
    He just started working at the local meat market, he is pretty stoked, he has his snack list already for his boss. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,574 Senior Member
    Well done!!

That’s a hoss of a deer!  Any idea
    or guestament of weight?

That’s dedication to sit all day. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Well done!!

That’s a hoss of a deer!  Any idea
    or guestament of weight?

That’s dedication to sit all day. 
    I will get an estimate from the butcher, I am glad I did not have to drag or lift it by myself.

The all day sit was sponsored by Apple iPhone, and snacks, and coffee, and a trip to DQ for lunch
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,145 Senior Member
    Well done! I love hunting with young folks....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Well done! I love hunting with young folks....
    Yep, always nice to see them succede, he was much more enthusiastic this year, had to keep up with his brothers and cousins.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Congrats! That is one nice deer.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited October 2018 #12
    Ok, the butcher just grabbed the deer off me and figured about 150-160# including the Otter Sled and here is the entrance wound pretty much in the arm pit, he must have gotten shot with this leg forward, shoulder never did "feel" broken and not much rib damage.

retouched photo

Congrats! That is one nice deer.

Mike
    Thanks, talk Jerry into picking you up on the way to Montana next year, I now have an expert deer dragger.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,577 Senior Member
    Tell that young man nicely done!

Sako
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Tell Deadeye congrats!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Excellent! Congrats to the boy!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Another nice deer. The kiddos are scoring well this year!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Good deal, Scott!  He did a fine job.
    Beautiful deer.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I am glad that he used some sort of a rest. That is a very nice deer! Our forum yute hunters have had an awesome weekend.I am really happy for all the kids!

BTW- I understand the thread title. Others may not, but I do.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Wow, major bullet failure to expand, the butcher just dropped off the head to be disposed of, he does not handle that, and he found the bullet on the off side under the hide, nicked the shoulder blade and a rib but did not open up at all. 35# of trim, 10# for jerky, and the rest is steaks and loin.

cpj said:
    Awesome!
    sakodude said:
    Tell that young man nicely done!

Sako
    NN said:
    Tell Deadeye congrats!
    Thanks guys, I know you have been there for these days too.
    tennmike said:
    Another nice deer. The kiddos are scoring well this year!
    jbohio said:
    Good deal, Scott!  He did a fine job.
    Beautiful deer.

This was the first year he put in the major hours, things seemed to click this year. Thanks guys.
    I am glad that he used some sort of a rest. That is a very nice deer! Our forum yute hunters have had an awesome weekend.I am really happy for all the kids!

BTW- I understand the thread title. Others may not, but I do.

We watch it every year, the kids "get it" :)
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,574 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Wow, major bullet failure to expand, the butcher just dropped off the head to be disposed of, he does not handle that, and he found the bullet on the off side under the hide, nicked the shoulder blade and a rib but did not open up at all. 35# of trim, 10# for jerky, and the rest is steaks and loin.

Yeah. That sucks. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Going to get ahold of Hornady this week and see what they say,  good thing the kid hit the plumbing, I am somewhat surprised it did not pass through.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:

That is really disappointing. Hornady typically has a good reputation. Granted, it did the job and kilt the deer, but I would have liked to see better performance than that.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member

Fantastic job by the young man!  He did his part, but man, that is really disappointing bullet performance.  At that range, you would expect and pretty distended mushroom and he got anything but...

Regardless, he should be extremely proud of that excellent shot.  Perfectly placed!

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    That's outstanding and dang that's a big bodied deer!  Congrats!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Another excellent result from a young hunter. Congratulations to you both, I love reading about successful youth hunts, with dads around like you, it gives me hope for the future of hunting......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....