Lake City Unprimed Brass, thoughts?

simplesimonsimplesimon MemberPosts: 48 Member
Does anybody have experience handloading Lake City Brass? Found what appears to be a deal on new brass, but I'm new to all this reloading/handloading stuff.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,833 Senior Member
    Yes...it's good stuff and about all I use for .223...my last buy was from Old Dominion, $90.00 for 1,000, once fired, FL re-sized and with primer pocket crimp removed...all they needed was a trip through the tumbler...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    I assume you're talking about the NEW lc brass that a few places have had recently. I've got 2 500 count boxes, one I'm currently using and the other "in reserve"
    It's good brass :up:

edited to add:
    http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14701-c6-g8-b0-p0-New_Lake_City_223_Brass___500_Count.aspx
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Back when dad and I were shooting HP a lot all we'd use for the SR (200 and 300 yards) was reloads with LC brass. We stuck to Winchester cases for 600 yards though.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,552 Senior Member
    Agreed on that. LC brass is somewhat thin in .223/5.56 compared to Winchester or Lapua, but it is very good quality brass. I use LC brass for the short range (300 yards) and I use Winchester for the longer range 600-1000 yards. I have no experience with LC brass in other calibers.
  • simplesimonsimplesimon Member Posts: 48 Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,047 Senior Member
    Okay, Pegasus and ShotgunShooter3 both seem to like Lake City for short range and Winchester for longer range. Any reason due to differences in brass and associate performance? Or is it so that the different headstamps tell you what load you have?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Good stuff. Ya can tell the necks are very annealed. The best thing is there's no primer crimp!
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    Good question.

As I said earlier the LC brass being military, is thin in the .223/5.56. For military purposes that's fine; they put in more powder to get higher velocities and they shoot it only once.

My short range ammo is not loaded to very high pressures, so the brass does not have to be all that strong, but after 4-5 reloads, I retire the LC brass from the rotation.

On the other hand, Winchester and Lapua brass is stronger and I can shoot my hot loads in them, with the bullet seated way out. I have reached and surpassed 5 loads in Winchester brass and it is still usable for the LR loads. However, all that changed when I went to the .308 for LR and .223 for the 300-600 yards. I have pulled out all the LC brass from the rotation and use only Winchester for .223 now. (The LC brass will be loaded one last time for plinking purposes (ie, no need to pick it up.)

As I said earlier, LC is excellent brass, I shot superb scores, match winning-scores, with it at 300 yards. I prefer Winchester and Lapua to LC.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,047 Senior Member
    Pegasus,
    Thanks. I have some Lake City and some Igman that I use in my .223 loads, but that's strictly plinking ammo. If I get to pick it up, that's good, but if I don't, that's fine, too. I've only got 3 loads at the most on the cases, but it does for my uses.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Let me tell you a story.

At the 2010 FCNC, the F-class Nationals in Lodi, WI this past September, we shot at 600 and 1000 yards. 600 yards on the first day and 1000 yards on the last two days. After shooting our first strings on Friday morning, it was our turn in the pits to pull for the guys who had just pulled for us. I knew who I was pulling for and I was keeping track of his hits. The shooter was doing well until all of a sudden, he shot a low 7 or 6 (I don't remember which, but it was at 6 o'clock.) The shot was followed by a multi-minute delay, which was uncharacteristic of the shooter. I told my shooting buddy who was manning the target with me that he definitely had a problem; it was either a bipod failure or a burst case. Those were the only two possibilities that I could think of since there was a long delay. Finally after about 5 minutes he resumed shooting and did ok.

When we went back to the line, I talked to the shooter before he got on the bus to go back to pull for me. He told me that he had a case head seperate and had some issues pulling the case out of the chamber. I told him I figured it had been either that or a bipod event. Then I asked him what kind of brass he used and he said, are you ready for this? Lake City. This is in .308.

I then asked the shooter if he resized his virgin cases, to which he replied in the affirmative. He also said he had a few more cases burst on him during the week. He explained that resizing virgin cases and using LC brass at long range amounted to two strikes against him.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Okay, Pegasus and ShotgunShooter3 both seem to like Lake City for short range and Winchester for longer range. Any reason due to differences in brass and associate performance? Or is it so that the different headstamps tell you what load you have?

In our case it was different headstamps, plus what we just happened to have on hand. I bought a lot of WWB .223 when I first got my Ruger .223, so we had those cases already when we got into HP.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C