Home Main Category Clubhouse

The dumbing down of America continues ..

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,302 Senior Member
    Is the SAT and accurate measurement of standard academic  achievement?

I've heard not on the dumbed down news, but I honestly don't know?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,194 Senior Member
    I never took it, it wasn't the BFD then that it is now. There was also one called - I think - the ACT, or somesuch. I think they merged or something?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #4
    What, you didn't get that test with different shapes like stars/squares/rectangles ect ect they told you to fit into the right shaped holes on a wooden board? 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #5
    At publishing time, sources had also confirmed students who take the SAT will be given a juice box and some orange slices
    Yes you are.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,806 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I never took it, it wasn't the BFD then that it is now. There was also one called - I think - the ACT, or somesuch. I think they merged or something?
    I took the SAT's in 1963 and 1964, and they were very important back then if you wanted to get into college.

The bottom line says literally, "The Babylon Bee is Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire"

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #7

I took the SAT's in 1963 and 1964, and they were very important back then if you wanted to get into college.

The bottom line says literally, "The Babylon Bee is Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire"

I took the SAT in HS a couple of times for college placement.

And I'm also glad someone else noticed the website for what it is, too. :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,194 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

It was pretty obvious...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I didn't see the comment on the bottom, but I recognized it as satire.  I am a little more in tune to the SAT since my wife is a teacher and my son is a senior in high school.  He has taken the SAT once already, he will be taking it again to try to improve his score and hence his chance at scholarships for college.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,806 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    tennmike said:

It was pretty obvious...
    I was inclined to think that, but it wasn't until I scrolled down to the bottom that I was sure of it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I didn't see the comment on the bottom, but I recognized it as satire.  I am a little more in tune to the SAT since my wife is a teacher and my son is a senior in high school.  He has taken the SAT once already, he will be taking it again to try to improve his score and hence his chance at scholarships for college.
    Taking a SAT early is a good idea so he'll know what his weaknesses are and hit those hard studying for the next SAT.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    What, you didn't get that test with different shapes like stars/squares/rectangles ect ect they told you to fit into the right shaped holes on a wooden board? 
    That was only for that "special" school you attended BC...  :D

Naw, that was in a normal elementary skool, furst or sekon guraid.................I went on to bekom hi-ly lernt........................ B)

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,296 Senior Member
    I took the SAT's once. When I went in to find out my score, the school official asked me point blank, "Do you even go to this school?"

Isn't this how fake news rumors get started. People can't tell the difference between reality and satire (Not talking about you Bream).

It's almost like picking up the National Enquirer (aka the Hot-Sheets) and expecting to find factual hard hitting news! Except for the Bigfoot stuff, now that's real.

The worst part is, now the Christians are doing it! Oh the humanity!!!!! :o

Dripping with sarkasmos.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain