New Sharp Object

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
I have always considered the Old Timer Sharpfinger as not only a wonderful field/hunting knife but, also an exceptional defensive design. 

I have a couple for field use in gutting and butchering deer. For which it is scarily effective. 

Derived of the “Persian” design, it lends itself to both “poking” in precise places and “severing” what you wish to take away. 

I have little to no use for “daggers” with straight blades. A useless and gaudy tool that requires too much time and effort for my.........style......of employment with said tool. 

I prefer to cut a wider means to an end and teach so in my classes. 

Well, I found a good tool. 

Been eyeing this sucker for about a year. But, was unwilling to pay the price many were asking. Until now. 

So, I have a new utensil for administering the “bad decision bug”. 

CRKT Clever Girl

It ain’t small but, it ain’t as big as some others. And, it comes with a decent sheath. Though, I will be looking into an aftermarket one as well. 

She ain’t for everyone. But, for a certain purpose, she has a use. The size and sweep of the blade lends itself to severing and cutting. Much like the smaller Sharpfinger for hunting usage. The handle is both unobtrusive and textured. Allowing a proper grip without slippage. I think this knife would be a wonderful field knife for cleaning deer. Or, a well designed defensive knife for my purposes. Not a primary item. More of a, close proximity.........proxy. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,282 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #2
    It always seems like an arched edge is most useful for carcass dismemberment.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    That it is. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    I found my first Sharpfinger stuck in a stump while I was deer hunting...the sheath was laying on the ground nearby....got it cleaned up and used it for many years....a great knife design.

That CRKT is , well, I'm gonna have to get one

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    good company 
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #6
    SWEET looking blade!!! <3 <3

The first knife I ever made (In shop class in HS) was as close a copy to that Schrade as I could make it. (From D2 tool steel) So I have loved that basic design for a lot of years

edited to add: I wasn't familiar with SK5 blade steel. After a cursory google search, sounds like quite a good steel
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• dlddld Member Posts: 375 Member
    I guess you are a clever girl for getting the clever girl  :)

some one had to say it
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,534 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #8
    Great Knife
    A old tried and true design.  I had one some time back, but have no idea where it is.  May have to go get myself another.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Hehehehe.......
    Hummmmmm, $70 on Prime... That's not bad...
    That’s where I got it and Midway now has them on clearance for $65 with free shipping. 

I just chose not to wait a week to get it. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 852 Senior Member

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,534 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Diver43 said:
    Great Knife
    A old tried and true design.  I had one some time back, but have no idea where it is.  May have to go get myself another.
    Yeah. I may have to stop at Walmart, and buy one. 🙄
    Not quite the same
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Fits on my Kelty right nice. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    About 30-something years ago, the father of a fellow employee came to visit.  He had a lot of stuff to sell, he was a peddler, and among the goods was Sharpfingers...seconds, he said.  They were VERY cheap, about $4 each, IIRC.  I bought one, which is all I could afford at the time, and went back the next day to buy some more, but alas, he'd moved on.  As a cheap knife, I mistreated it and didn't preserve it, but I wonder if I'd bought more if I had some to this day.  The seconds, so far as I could tell, were on the handles.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06