Home Main Category Clubhouse

Acomplished something ...

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in Clubhouse #1
Changed the front hub and bearing assemblies, pads and rotors on my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500. One hour job took four due to the arthritis in both hands from my immunotherapy.  Nice to do something productive.  Plus saved a boat load of money by doing it myself.   Have to love being a teen from the '60s

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,065 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with slowing down a bit. You still did it yourself.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good for you.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    That will make the brakes more reliable and give you peace of mind driving it. Good job! Us old farts from back then can still get it done on the mechanical stuff of our vehicles. Taking your time to do it is a plus as you aren't rushed and can do it right and be confident that it's as it should be, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,801 Senior Member
    Four hours faster than I could have done it.👍
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Having done that job in the past, I can attest that, even with a hoist and air tools, an hour would be the exception rather than the rule.  Doing it in four hours with hands that don't cooperate and without those conveniences is nothing to be ashamed of. Best of all, you did it yourself.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,275 Senior Member
    I like seeing us do things for our self .  Saved up the money to buy the tools so now time to use them all we can . What garages charge now .... why waste money on things we can do . Besides it feels good getting hands dirty !
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    Well done, did the same job 2 years ago on my 98 Dodge 1500, although its a much cleaner job i prefer the older axles that you could remove the bearings and races to either repack or replace. Doing it in 4 hours, compared to my time your a speed demon.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I admire your attitude and perseverance.

As a young man, I did all of my own auto repairs, from overhauling or swapping an engine to putting brushes and bushings in a starter or generator. I even rebuilt a couple of four barrel carburetors. But, time restraints and rapidly increasing technology caused me to back off, until I lost all confidence in being able to do my own repairs. Now, on those rare occasions when I need to pop the hood, I can barely even figure out how to do that.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,065 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #10
    bisley said:
    I admire your attitude and perseverance.

As a young man, I did all of my own auto repairs, from overhauling or swapping an engine to putting brushes and bushings in a starter or generator. I even rebuilt a couple of four barrel carburetors. But, time restraints and rapidly increasing technology caused me to back off, until I lost all confidence in being able to do my own repairs. Now, on those rare occasions when I need to pop the hood, I can barely even figure out how to do that.
    @[email protected] , our van pool to work now utilizes a Ford Transit Van.  Regular coordinator was on vacation and I took it to get gas.  I had to google it to find out where the filler was at.  You have to open the driver door, which allows  you to open a small door that the fill location is under.  I do not do much but change wiper blades or a battery myself anymore.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,770 Senior Member
    Good work
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Must be a Dodge thing. Several years ago, I replaced the rotors, bearings and pads, on the Dakota, I had. The rotors were warped enough to cause a annoying pulsation, when stopping. Did the whole job, for less the a brake shop was going charge me, just to turn the rotors. 
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    olesniper said:
    Must be a Dodge thing. Several years ago, I replaced the rotors, bearings and pads, on the Dakota, I had. The rotors were warped enough to cause a annoying pulsation, when stopping. Did the whole job, for less the a brake shop was going charge me, just to turn the rotors. 
    Pretty much commonplace since the early 90s.  All manufacturers, all models. Rotors are thinner from the jump, which means they don't dissipate heat as well, which means they don't last as long.   Same for virtually everything else.  Throw away and replace is the SOP.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,845 Senior Member
    Even Mercedes does this - they EXPECT you to simply replace the rotors, and they've been that way for decades. OTOH, if you shop carefully, you can get new rotors for an MBZ for not much more than turning them.
    I had a shop do the last brake job, its just too damn hot here for me to do it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,770 Senior Member
    draft delete
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,683 Senior Member
    Good job, I need to do the same thing on the Explorer. Have all parts just been procrastinating, have one warped rotor.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    rberglof said:
    Good job, I need to do the same thing on the Explorer. Have all parts just been procrastinating, have one warped rotor.
    Had my rotors for almost a year! Figured I'd better get it done.  Leaving truck to my SIL.