Cleaning patches???

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,284 Senior Member
Any worries using cotton???

Been using old shirts for years. Yesterday I cut up a red one. Lint shows up clear in the bore when its red. If I run a patch through it to memove it, the red patch will deposit more lint. Very small amounts. I use a flashlight and magnifying glass to inspect.

I'm assuming it won't hurt a darn thing, even after years of storage, but heck I've been wrong before. Don't hurt to ask????

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,409 Senior Member
    Should work.
    I use white flannel; you can get a yard or so at wally world and cut to size needed.
    This message has been deleted
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,818 Senior Member
    I do not worry about lint.  I have an endless supply of old shirts that are too big for me now so the good ones are going to my son, the old ones are being used as targets and then cut up for patches and oil rags.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,638 Senior Member
    edited November 7 #4
    Pro tip: Use a rotary cutter to cut your patches. Much faster and more accurate.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,284 Senior Member
    Looks like a pizza cutter.
    That would cut down on the lint.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,409 Senior Member
    patches are not precision items-----a scissors  is just fine
    This message has been deleted
    edited November 7 #7
    Scissors do work fine - but a rotary cutter and a straight edge is faster. Heck, you can even use pinking shears!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Looks like a pizza cutter.
    That would cut down on the lint.
    Watch your fingers though!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,521 Senior Member
    That is a good idy if you plan to cut a bunch.

Another is to get a factory patch and use it as a template fer the caliber you need.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    edited November 7 #10
    Military M-16 patches won't work in some rifles unless I snip some off one side.

I also cut them back fer .22 LR patches. They do leave a few 'threads' in the bore you can blow out.  Or run a cleaning tip only through it............may get it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Naw, just blast some WD-40 down the bbl if yer worried about it! >:)

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    I just order them from Pro Shot, 500 - 1000 at a time, 1m cost .$17.00, to cheap to warrant cutting up Tee shirts.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,852 Senior Member
    Even my cheap ass buys patches. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,284 Senior Member
    I have store bought patches too.

But making my own is so rewarding.🐵
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,269 Senior Member
    edited November 9 #15
    You can keep the rewarding, but I will make them sometimes when I have extra Tee Shirts and don't have any store bought patches of the correct size. Also, i have seen patches labeled for a certain bore diameter that were too tight in my bore of that diameter, and I had to trim them.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    You can keep the rewarding, but I will make them sometimes when I have extra Tee Shirts and don't have any store bought patches of the correct size. Also, i have seen patches labeled for a certain bore diameter that were too tight in my bore of that diameter, and I had to trim them.
    And old cotton underwear works well..........wash first..cut to size. Sometimes you need large pieces for bolts, frames and cylinder faces too.

Big Chief said:
    ........wash first...

Why bother? >:)

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,818 Senior Member
    I walk into Salvation Army and walk out with a huge bag of old shirts for $10.  Targets AND patches!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    And old cotton underwear works well..........

The "color" doesn't come off in the barrel?

Sorry early, can't help you. All of my cleaning patches look like this:

"Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,738 Senior Member
    I buy them.  Easier than cutting up my t-shirts, which I wear too long anyway.  They don't leave lint.  I use old t-shirts for cleaning outside the bore.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,970 Senior Member
    edited November 10 #21
    I only use patches for cleaning the outside. 

I use VFG Felt Pellets for the bore. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,783 Senior Member
    edited November 10 #22
    Zee said:
    I only use patches for cleaning the outside. 

I use VFG Felt Pellers for the bore. 
    What he said. Except mine are felt pellets. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,970 Senior Member
    Ha!!

Damn smart phone auto correct. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,457 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    And old cotton underwear works well..........wash first..cut to size. Sometimes you need large pieces for bolts, frames and cylinder faces too.

Tried it, got a skid mark down the barrel....
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    timc said:
    Big Chief said:

Tried it, got a skid mark down the barrel....
    And a odd but familiar gun powder smell.....Hmm?
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams