Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

The Secret Service just pulled Acosta's White House press credentials...

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,668 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 said:
    He could be using a Commodore 64 for all I know.
    Which would be an improvement over a fone!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,696 Senior Member
    Yesterday switched to CNN to watch the coverage of the Great War armistice centennial celebration, and maybe I was very unlucky but in the 15 minutes or so I watched, all you could see was the bare-chested protestor incident against the POTUS vehicle caravan, an interview to a bunch of hipster fools on a "Trump babysitters" protest, and Macron's (POF) speech being interpreted by the commentator as a straight bashing to the current administration's foreign policies....really? What about the War? How about the heroes that died facing the Huns??

If this is CNN's "modus operandi", it's pathetic they don't even try to seem impartial anymore, and shame on them for shooing viewers like me, more interested in the ceremonies that their pathetic political agendas and watching their own bellybuttons...kick ALL their reporters out of the WH!!!
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Overly aggressive reporters crossing the line is nothing new. Unfortunately it has become the norm no doubt driven by the requirement to beat the competition. I find it disgusting.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    The thing I have always hated about the media is " the inevitable question". Any time a person suffers an unimaginable tragedy, the loss of a loved one, the loss of their home, etc...you always get one fool who just has to ask "How does this make you feel?"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Acosta and CNN are suing the WH over Acosta being given the boot. That's pretty funny. He has no 'right ' to be there; it's a privilege he abused. It will be amusing to see where this lawsuit leads.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Yea, when the president - or anybody else - can't have a say as to who is in their house...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    It's not his house. He may live there, but it belongs to the people. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Acosta and CNN are suing the WH over Acosta being given the boot. That's pretty funny. He has no 'right ' to be there; it's a privilege he abused. It will be amusing to see where this lawsuit leads.

If being in the WH press pool was a right, every small town gazette and high school newspaper would demand to be there and they would have to hold the press conferences in a stadium. Acosta is a bigger ass than I thought.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Yes, yes, yes, yes. But when he's living there, its his home, and he has the right to control access.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    It's ok Bream, I'm sure everyone would be 100% ok if Hillary had won and then called the Fox News reporter rude and told them to sit down and shut up any time they brought up Benghazi or her email server and then revoked their White House access if they refused to give up the microphone. 

There you go again trolling to rile people up. You know dang well that there's a structure to the press conferences and that each reporter is only allowed a few questions and a limited amount of time. Reporters don't run the conferences and dictate when they'll relenquish the mic but then you know all of this and ANY reporter that actually is being rude should expect to be ejected regardless of their employer and there is no question about Acosta's rudeness. How long do you think that the mods will tolerate your constant trolling?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    zorba said:
    Yes, yes, yes, yes. But when he's living there, its his home, and he has the right to control access.
    Within certain limitations.  It's also the workplace of government.  Press briefings are part of that business.  I agree that individual press access is a privilege, but.... if part of that business is to allow press briefings, you'd better allow at least someone in. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    It's ok Bream, I'm sure everyone would be 100% ok if Hillary had won and then called the Fox News reporter rude and told them to sit down and shut up any time they brought up Benghazi or her email server and then revoked their White House access if they refused to give up the microphone. 
    Weak troll. Nixon did it (barring reporters), and so did Obama. Look before you leap, and search before you do a knee jerk reaction.

Acosta was less a reporter and more an advocacy editorialist. He also has the manners of the biggest hog at the slop trough. Giving him a 'time out' for crappy behavior may give him time to get his act together. Given that CNN and Acosta are suing the WH, I kind of doubt that is happening. Acosta is acting like a little spoiled brat that is pitching a tantrum after someone licked the red stripe off his Christmas candy cane. CNN is acting the same. They could easily replace Acosta at the WH with someone else if they really cared.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    smart reporter would have crafted editorial capable of giving even the most staunch Trump supporters pause. When intelligent language with the power of compelling perception gives way to cheap sensationalism for the sake of visual illusion, we're left  with infotainment instead of news. Acosta and his kind deserve no more consideration than the corrupt politicians they're too stupid to expose.
    There's a ? in there:  "Why did you characterize it as such?"  So it's not a total lack.  A definite dearth, though. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    Don't get me wrong, I found Acosta's line of... dialogue?... to be very leading and not done in good faith, lacking of any real journalistic intent, and pretty well out of line.  
    Overkill is underrated.
    Back in the early 1990s when I finally got a big 10 foot satellite dish, I watched CNN news. When Fox News started, I watched them both, and continued to watch both when I got the smaller satellite dish from Dish Network. Back then, CNN wasn't a nuthouse. They sure lost their way somewhere around 2000 and have been a lost ball in high weeds since. Same for ABC, NBC, CBS, and MSNBC. The bias and editorial content passed off as news just turned me off, and still does. Pretty bad when you have to get real news happening in the USA from the BBC and Reuters.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I miss Chet Huntley and David Brinkley of the Huntley-Brinkley Report. They reported the news without the editorial spin.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Walter Cronkite.

Don't forget that it was Walter that started this whole "My opinions are newsworthy" BS....
    in 1968 when he announced that the Vietnam war was a stalemate and unwinnable on the evening news...
    Now that I didn't know!

Point is...it was Walter that went from reporting the news to using the news to report his personal opinions as news....whether he was correct or not is immaterial. He was the grandfather of all the media nonsense we see today.
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #53
    Jayhawker said:
    Point is...it was Walter that went from reporting the news to using the news to report his personal opinions as news....whether he was correct or not is immaterial. He was the grandfather of all the media nonsense we see today.
    The Tet Offensive by North Vietnam was bad, but the NVA got their butts kicked so hard there was no way they could recover from that if the advantage had been pressed by U.S. and SVN troops and air assets. But old 'Uncle Walter Cronkite' portrayed it as a HUGE loss on the American and South Vietnamese side. After Tet, Cronkite started using his position to strongly advocate for withdrawing all U.S. troops. Things started slowing down due to the turn of sentiment Cronkite helped create, and gave NV the time to breathe and rebuild.

And if anyone is responsible for the length of that war, then look no further than President Johnson and his cabinet of 'Whiz Kids' bean counters. If North Vietnam, specifically Hanoi and the coastal ports, had been carpet bombed incessantly and all carrier assets had been used to take out infrastructure, 'Uncle Ho' would have been on the ropes and begging for peace. But Johnson and the Whiz Kids micromanaged the war to the point that Johnson decided where to drop the bombs in NV and what routes should be taken by the bombers. The same bombing routes every time; that's why we lost so many BUFFs. The NV missile units were set up and waiting for them.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    das68 said:
    All they did was edit and do a closeup of what actually happened.  How is that "doctored". The definition shown on the youtube specified "to deceive".  Was anything in the "doctored video" changed from what actually happened?
    there is a question mark.

ain't nothing changed.
    Just a drama queen at work.

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Don't forget that it was Walter that started this whole "My opinions are newsworthy" BS....
    in 1968 when he announced that the Vietnam war was a stalemate and unwinnable on the evening news...
    Yep, this...
    Cronkite was among the last of the old school democrats. Comparing him or putting him in the same light as the current anti-American dems' is ridiculous. There's no comparison. 

Yes. "Old school" Democrats and Republicans who could work together for the good of the people they SERVED. My parents were married in Rifle, Colorado. The year was 1927. They raised my 2 much older brothers through the great depression and WW2. They were FDR Democrats who voted for Eisenhower twice! I still have a few long time Democrat friends who I can have intelligent political discussions with.
    HUMMMMMMMM.....
    The sound of dynamos SPINNING at the various news orgs. I don't really pay much attention to them anymore - and somebody else already mentioned the BBC.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Walter Cronkite created all infotainment, fake news etc???

So many interesting things to learn on internet.👀
    Walter Cronkite created all infotainment, fake news etc???

So many interesting things to learn on internet.👀
    It's a good thing that there are still a bunch of us old duffers with intact memories around to keep the revisionists at Bay....
    I know a few old duffers who were around when it happened, and hold him up as a paragon of "objective journalism."  They view his editorial as just sharing an opinion or have forgotten it.

My dad was around when it happened and viewed Cronkite's statements as highly unprofessional.
    Overkill is underrated.
    And for those wondering what was said, here's a transcript:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106775685

Overkill is underrated.