"Handgun" powders in rifle rounds????

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,945 Senior Member
I was running the numbers through quickload for 7.62x39 and 123gr bullets last night.
Of the powders readily available here, 3 of the 4 top velocity producers are "pistol" powders
In order from Higher velocity down,

Win 296
L'il Gun
Reloader-7
H-110

Before you start telling me the H110 and Win296 are the same powder in different cans, I KNOW, so I'm guessing the difference is lot to lot variation.

I use Li'l gun in the 50 Beowulf, but even though it's shot from a rifle, it's more like a straight walled pistol round with a HUGE expansion ratio.

So, have any of you used powders this fast in a bottle necked rifle round?

Sound strange to any of you?

Suggestions?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    W296/H110 should definitely not be used in bottlenecked cases, due to poor ignition. For gallery (subsonic) loads in bottlenecked cases I use Alliant American Select, a fast pistol powder. It is very bulky, which helps with case fill and ignition, the main bugaboos with small doses of fast powder.

For mid-range and cast bullet loads in bottlenecked cases, I use Accurate 5744. It was designed to be position insensitive.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    These are neither subsonic nor mid-range loads.
    Sorted for fastest velocity, those were the ones on top (Along with a Norma and some foreign brand I've never heard of)
    And quickload isn't calling for "small doses"
    They're all 75% case fill or more
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    My go-to load for my Ruger 77MkII 7.62x39 uses reloader 7 and a 123gr hornady sp. Have not shot them over the chrony but the book puts it at around 2300fps and it shoots pretty good. I have never tried any of the others listed.

Sako
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,644 Senior Member
    I use RL7 under 110 grain Bergers in my 30BR. 33.8 grains gets me 2975 fps. Ramshot Xterminator is very close to it in performance.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,074 Senior Member
    2400 seems to be a fairly common listing for low-intensity rifle loads in Lyman's cast bullet book. I can tell you that 20 grains of it makes for a fun .30-06 load with 180gr gas checked slugs. Might make a good 7.62x39 propellant.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee