Home Main Category Clubhouse

Automatic Braking Systems

13»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,860 Senior Member
    I have no problem USING roundabouts.  I have a problem with municipalities dropping them EVERYWHERE simply because Uncle shook out the piggy bank.  I get trying to be safer.  Honest, I do. My point was about the mandatory nature of all these "good ideas" that turn out to be less than advertised in their implementation, but still remain mandatory because somebody figured they should be. 
    A town near where I lived in California suddenly started putting them in. They put them in on quiet streets where they weren't needed, instead of replacing obnoxious stop lights where a roundabout would have done some good.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    It's being done because of the "free" money available. Have any of the new highway interchanges popped up around you lately?  We've been getting "diverging diamonds" here... again, not necessarily a bad idea, but also not strictly necessary. The reason for doing it is "easier and safer" left turns.... but the same can be accomplished with left turn lights.  And savagely ticketing the fools who don't use them properly. No, instead we'll put in 15 million dollar interchanges and drop roundabouts willy Billy because it's a good idea. 

Safety!

"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    I have no idea what diverging diamonds are, but if it does away with a traffic light, I'm all for it.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I hate roundabouts.  Every time I enter one I feel like Ben-Hur in the chariot race.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    There is a roundabout on Fl. state road 426 between Oviedo and Geneva, this is a narrow 2 lane road, its fun to be behind an 18 wheeler as he runs over the roundabout because its not large enough for him to make the turn.

JAY 
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,684 Senior Member
    Was out in the middle of nowhere ND and here is a roundabout, with the amount of traffic you could use it any way you wanted.

zorba said:
    I have no idea what diverging diamonds are, but if it does away with a traffic light, I'm all for it.
    Nope.  MORE traffic lights!

Basically, as you enter the interchange, you come to the first light.  On the all clear, you cross to the left and travel on that side until you come to the exit, where you either make your left turn to merge, or continue on through to the next light where - after the all clear - you swing back to the right side.  

A link to an animation:

George Carlin
    The linked animation is a triple roundabout with no traffic signals...
    A semi in the animation runs over the inside edge of the roundabout! Authentic!

zorba said:
    The linked animation is a triple roundabout with no traffic signals...
    A semi in the animation runs over the inside edge of the roundabout! Authentic!
    cpj said:
    To not make people mad at me, I won’t mention where the first diverging diamond was designed and built...

anyway, they work well. Real well. 
    Sorry Zorba, I posted the wrong one. 

Cpj, I don't disagree... my point is that they don't work "X" million better than a standard interchange with left turn lights.  Both interchanges count on Joe Sixpack not **** up to function safely.  It's just as easy to screw the pooch on either. 
    George Carlin
    Here you go Zorba:

George Carlin
    And that is better than a cloverleaf how?
    I'm glad I've seen this - I'd completely freak out if I had encountered one before knowing the concept - driving on the wrong side of the road!

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,684 Senior Member
    Coming off the freeway on that one and you have no idea cars are coming at you from the wrong side and you can't see their light gets very interesting as I found out last year.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,306 Senior Member
    I hadn't heard of, or seen the divergent diamond interchange before.
    W.T.F, over.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 323 Member
    who in their right mind- dreamed up that cluster f$#@- I hope I never encounter one
    zorba said:
    It is NOT...  This is hoe we piss away infrastructure money...
    B, b, bu, bu, but its *new* technology!!!! :D

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    As long as it has an ON/OFF switch and I am forced to buy it, anyway, to get the other vehicle options I want, I am resigned to it. It's just like the satellite TV and cable TV packages - you have to buy crap you don't want to get crap you do want.

Now, IF they let you buy a vehicle with only the options you wanted, I wouldn't buy it, in which case the possum certainly dies, along with the squirrels, dogs, and house cats that regularly commit suicide during attempts to make me swerve into human beings, or vehicles that could smash me.
    bisley said:
    ...I am resigned to it.
    Which is EXACTLY what the Cablecos, Telcos, and Carcos want.

zorba said:
    I'm glad I've seen this - I'd completely freak out if I had encountered one before knowing the concept - driving on the wrong side of the road!
    I don't think it's "better", just different... and, it illustrates my point quite nicely.  Do they work? Sure, as long as everybody knows about it, expects it when they pull up to it and know what to do when they get there.  Approach it cold and at night, as rberglof pointed out, and you face a better than average chance of crapping yourself when you notice you're on the left, passing traffic sitting at the signal on your right.  WiDot put one in at the I39-I90/Hwy 11 bypass just a little north of here.  So far the problems have been minor... and they'll remain that way just as long as folks do exactly what it is they're supposed to do.  Just exactly like every other form of interchange ever devised by man, or used by man. 
    George Carlin
    Meh - I'd have to see one and work with it for awhile. Anything that STOPS traffic - like this does, seems sub-optimal compared to something that does not.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, I thought ABS meant Anti-lock Braking System!

B)
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Hey, I thought ABS meant Anti-lock Braking System!

B)
    Y'all was in the Army and I was in the Navy, and we BOTH know that ABS meant Absolute Bull Merda! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    ... that may all be true, BUT - if you're operating your vehicle in a safe manner, the likelyhood of EVER needing one of these overpriced "systems" is vastly reduced. We would get a HUGE increase in safety if smartfones automatically shut off when the engine was started - but we'll never see that. Americans are scared of life, that's how the safetycrats got a foothold in the first place.
    Oh, and its BRAKING, not BREAKING! :smile:

Obviously Cornell University does not offer auto shop courses. lol