Home Main Category Hunting

Heading out tomorrow

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,869 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in Hunting #1
My deer hunt starts Saturday morning.  It is a FAD hunt (any fork antlered deer). I'll be heading out tomorrow afternoon to set up camp and get the Encore pistol sighted in, since I just put the scope back on it.  

Guns making the trip, in order of priority; 
1. Encore pistol 454 Casull, 300 grain XTP Mag
2. LR308 rifle, 168 grain Amax
3. Win. 94 30-30, 150 grain Hornady jacketed round nose.

I wouldn't mind taking a buck with any of those guns, but the 454 is priority.  The only reason I'm using 300 grain bullets is because I either don't have the 240 grain loads I thought I had, or I can't find them... :#  I have some 250 XTPs loaded, but only a few of them.  If I can get them sighted in and still have at least a couple left to hunt with, I might go with those instead.

The old Winchester is going simply because I've had that gun since I was 16, and I've never shot a deer with it.  I have my old leather saddle scabbard for it, so I'll be looking for a way to run it on my ATV.  :D

Good luck to all of you with hunts still going or upcoming.  

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,869 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #2
    I'll also add, this is most definitely not gong to be a stand or blind hunt.  Mine will be all spot and stalk in the mountains and desert out here.  Lots of area, not a large population of deer.  Thinking it'll be a good time.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Good luck, have a good time and shoot straight
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Good luck Jay!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    Good luck.  Where you going?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Good luck.  Where you going?
    Thanks guys.

New Mexico, Unit 25.  Basically everything south of I10, west of El Paso, almost to the Arizona border.  Needless to say, I'll only be hunting a tiny portion of the unit.   :D  Specifically, I'll be hunting around the Potrillo mountains area.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    try not to shoot any illegals crossing the fields...  
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,053 Senior Member
    Pics or the trip didn’t happen. 
    😁
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    BigDanS said:
    try not to shoot any illegals crossing the fields...  
    As long as they don't have a forked antler, I won't shoot them.  If I can track down a BP unit, they might do some hunting of their own...  :D
    Zee said:
    Pics or the trip didn’t happen. 
    😁
    Phone will be on airplane mode in the pack for just that purpose...  
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,150 Senior Member
    Any ypdates, Jay?  Sounds like a great hunt you have planned.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Just got home, unpacked the necessities and took a shower. No luck so far. 

I took the motor home out Friday, hauling my ATV on a trailer behind it, and set up camp. My buddy came out Friday night after work, hauling his and my dads ATVs. After setting up camp Friday, I went out for a ride and did some walking and looking around. Checked on a couple of tanks and saw sign, so I eased out of there and left it alone. 

My my buddy finally made it to camp at about 8pm. And we proceeded to get a bad case of “one more beer.” 😬 Next thing we knew, it was 2am. And the alarm went off at 5. It was 100 percent self induced, and we sucked it up and hunted all day. My dad met us out there yesterday morning and hunted with us for the day. He made sure to give us a hard time all day...

After that day, we crashed pretty early last night and got up and headed out again this morning. We covered a lot of territory over the last 2 days. 80 miles on the ATVs and a lot of miles on my chevrolegs. Have seen no deer, but a lot of sign. We saw 6 coyotes and 2 javelina. 

First problem. I failed to notice that I put the wrong scope base on my 454 pistol. Due to that, I could not get it sighted in. With elevation maxed out, it was still 18” low at 50 yards. So, the LR308 was the tool of choice. Verified zero on it Friday evening at camp and carried it all weekend. I can say, it’s a bit heavy. But doable. 

My hunt still has 3 more days. I’ll be trailering out from my house and doing some more hunting. It was 72 degrees for the high temp today. High tomorrow is supposed to be 48 and lows in the 20s tomorrow night. I’ll find out how the weather change affects the deer. Won’t be for lack of effort. Hangover or not... 
    👍🏻
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Good luck
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

To help paint a picture, in the sunset pic, you see some mountains in the background on the left. We were riding to those mountains from camp and doing a lot of hiking and glassing in those mountains. The pics with the windmill and lava rock hills are not quite that far away in the opposite direction of those mountains. We ride in to the lava flows, walk and glass our way into the tanks in there. And that’s a tiny portion of this unit. Beautiful country and wildlife in the middle of a volcanic desert....
    Why you hunting the desert and not the mountains?
    Zee said:
    Why you hunting the desert and not the mountains?
    We got spread out too much this year. Dad and buddy drew archery tags for deer in one unit, elk in another. I’m not doing archery stuff.  Traveling for 3 different hunts wasn’t going to work this year. So I put in for the draw here so I can partially hunt from home and make it easier to do. Less traveling and easier for all of us to enjoy all our hunts together. At least to so,e extent. I’ve seen deer out here and know they’re there. Just a lot of country and small population of deer. Still fun to get out there. Long story short; convenient, fun and a challenge. 
    I can count on one hand the number of deer I’ve seen in the low desert between El Paso and Alamo. 

Lots up by Cloudcroft and Ruidoso. 
    For sure. The mountains are a better hunt. Dad and buddy drew deer tags near Silver City and elk in 34. Damn good hunting up there. They both took nice elk out of there last year. 

In the areas Im hunting, I see deer a good 70% of the time I scout those areas. I generally know the tanks and good spots. Actually pretty surprised we didn’t see any this weekend. 

One specific canyon in those mountains in my pic is where I see deer almost every time I go in there. I posted pics of that canyon a couple of months ago.  Of course, there was already someone in there this trip. So we had to work around that.  I’m gonna head up there Tuesday. Hoping it’ll be clear of hunters and deer might be calmed down a little during the week with less pressure. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,938 Senior Member
    When the boys were young (long time ago) we rode dirt bikes in that area. Used to see a lot of deer in the canyons and around tanks. Good Luck
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,503 Senior Member
    I hope you get into them today-Good luck!

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    All mulies or are there coues in that area?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    edited November 2018 #25
    All mulies or are there coues in that area?
    Thanks for the good luck wishes, guys. Today was the last of my hunt and got nothing. 

Ive never seen anything but mulies out here. 
    I’ll post a few more pics from the hunt and give a few thoughts. Just for the heck of it. I did see more coyotes and javelina than usual this hunt. Whether it was because I was covering a lot more territory, paying attention more than I usually do when I’m not hunting, or the coyote and javelina populations are up, I’m not sure. 

I made it up into the canyon where I see deer more often than not. Saw absolutely nothing. But it was a fun trip. I covered dang near every square foot of this canyon, whether walking, glassing or on the ATV. In the center of the second pic you’ll see a red spot. That’s an old mine. Pics of that next. 

More pics of that canyon and the mountains around it. 

Deceptively beautiful country. 

I like the hills and mountains. The flats are a meh. 

But, I’ll be back soon enough. 
    Today, I changed my strategy a little. Throughout the hunt, I was trying to cover as much ground as possible. Tanks, cattle pens, even an abandoned pistachio tree farm in the middle of nowhere that still has some trees alive. Today, I decided to pick what I felt like was the best area and concentrate on it. The area that I posted pics of before with the lava flows and windmill. I spent about 4 hours covering about a 6 square mile area. Ride the ATV within a mile or so, walk a mile or so circle, looking and glassing, ride a mile and a half and do another circle. Repeat until I thought I had covered it well enough. Lots of javelina sign. 

I was tempted today to shoot a really nice looking coyote. I saw something that stood out just enough while on one of my big circle walks. Checked it out through the rangefinder and it was a really nice looking yote with a super blonde coat. 246 yards, just watching me. I put the LR308 on the shooting sticks and had a hold on it, trying to decide if I wanted to chance spooking any deer that could be around. While trying to decide, it trotted about 5 yards to my right and disappeared. Amazing how quick things out here can vanish. Watched a javelina do the same thing the other day. 

In any case, no deer this time. But I enjoyed the heck out of myself trying.