Home Main Category Hunting

Heading out tomorrow

2»

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Deceptively beautiful country. 

I like the hills and mountains. The flats are a meh. 

But, I’ll be back soon enough. 
    That is absolutely a fact. It is beautiful country surrounded by flat land meh... These mountains to the west and the lava flows near by are really cool country. Peaks at around 5000 feet. Just enough to change the scenery. I’ll be hunting this area again. Challenging hunt and I WANT a desert mulie out of here.. 😎
    A couple of final, semi random thoughts. In the couple of weeks before my hunt, we got a lot of rain. 2-3”, depending on the area. So, there’s still lots of water holes around. Water is the key in the desert. When there’s water everywhere, it makes it harder to pin them down to certain areas. I know the tanks and where the water usually is. When the water is everywhere, that kinda kills my strategy. Excuses, excuses... 

Its a low percentage, small population hunt. I’ve seen plenty of deer in my years of running around out there. But it’s definitely not a “I’ll go to this one spot and shoot a deer” kind of hunt. Gotta work for it. 

I was in plenty of areas that the thought occurred to me, I’m by myself, in rough country, a mile or more from my ATV, 15 miles from my truck, and no way to get the ATV here. If I shoot a deer here, let the games begin... lol

I was a little surprised by the number of coyotes. I saw more that usual and heard but didn’t see a lot more than that. Now that deer season is done, I’ll have to go out yote hunting. Probably see deer and no coyotes... 🤣
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Is there a season on yotes?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited November 2018 #35
    Zee said:
    Is there a season on yotes?
    Nope. Varmints. Just have to have a regular small game lisence with stamp to hunt on BLM land. Javelina on the other hand, are game and require a draw tag... Which is $58 dollars... New Mexico is dumb sometimes...
    Well, with deer season over, I say you should torment the coyotes. 
    Definitely. I could have shot 3 easily while deer hunting. 2 of them REALLY big. The third today was the one with the awesome blonde coat. The LR308 is still in the truck... 
    Don’t you have a .243 Win?
    I do. A Savage bolt gun in 243. Think I have some 105 Amax and 62 grain Varmint Grenades loaded for it. 
    :evilgrin:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member

I've done my share of hunting in country like that.  It's hard to imagine, but it can hold an unexpectedly large deer/game population.  Jay, I know you are familiar with Pandale, and the pictures you posted remind a lot of that area.  When I as a teen, we had a lease near there, and I was amazed at the number of deer it held.  It undoubtedly provided some of the best whitetail hunting I've ever experienced.

Thanks for the pics.  They take me back to memories of some of the best times of my life.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited November 2018 #42
    It’s cool you mentioned the Pandale area. I was thinking exactly that while I was running around in there the other day. My ex’s dad had feeders and elevated box blinds set up at his place near Pandale. Cheater blinds, I called them. Propane heaters in them. Very nice though. Lots of deer and turkey. Very similar type of country. Main difference being, Pandale has the Pecos running through there. Which also makes for some good catfishing. No river out here. The Rio Grande is 30-40 miles or so to the east of the Portillos.  

I do do miss the cool, foggy mornings in Pandale. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    For those who have no idea what or where Pandale is, it's a podunk little place about halfway between Del Rio and Ozona, Tx.  I haven't been there since 1969.  Back then, it consisted of only a small store and was on a gravel road. 
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    For those who have no idea what or where Pandale is, it's a podunk little place about halfway between Del Rio and Ozona, Tx.  I haven't been there since 1969.  Back then, it consisted of only a small store and was on a gravel road. 
    It hasn’t grown. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,142 Senior Member
    Been hunting on a friend's land in Carta Valley not far from Pandale several times.  Lots of good deer in that area as well.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Zee said:
    Trying to see if I can get my dad and buddy out for a coyote hunt on Saturday.  If I can get out there, and if I take the .243 over the .308 AR, which bullet?  105 Amax or 62 grain Varmint Grenade?
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    Looks fun!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Zee said:
    Trying to see if I can get my dad and buddy out for a coyote hunt on Saturday.  If I can get out there, and if I take the .243 over the .308 AR, which bullet?  105 Amax or 62 grain Varmint Grenade?
    If the hides are worth anything, then the bullet that does less hide damage, otherwise use the one that you can shoot the farthest, accurately.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jay said:
    Zee said:
    If the hides are worth anything, then the bullet that does less hide damage, otherwise use the one that you can shoot the farthest, accurately.
    Barnes says their Varmint Grenade is supposed to fragment on impact, giving a better chance of no exit and doing less damage on hides. I won’t be keeping any hides, but it would be cool to test the idea on a coyote. I’ve only shot jack rabbits with the VG. Of course, they are extremely destructive on rabbits. 
    We’re heading out in the morning to see what we can find. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    We’re heading out in the morning to see what we can find. 
    So what was the verdict?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited November 2018 #52
    Just got home and settled in. We were out there for almost 12 hours. Saw 3 coyotes and a badger. 

On the way out to where we were going to unload the ATVS and ride to our first hunting spot, we saw the first coyote and the badger at the same time. Since we were traveling, none of us had a rifle ready. My buddy hopped out of the truck, got his AR out and grabbed a magazine. Made it ready and went after the coyote while my dad and I stayed back and played with the badger. The badger wasn’t in the mood to play. Mean little things...

Buddy shot the coyote. Nice pool of blood and bone fragments. It spun a couple of times, then took off running. We tracked it for a ways, then lost the trail and gave up on it. In his hurry to get his gun ready, he loaded it with FMJ rounds. I’m sure he punched a tiny hole right through that coyote. No signs of limping or hanging legs, so I believe it went through ribs. We just lost it. I got the 243 out and confirmed zero on it with the Varmint Grenades while we were stopped. 

After making it to our first and second hunting spots, we did some calling and some walking. Calls got nothing in and we saw nothing walking. So we loaded up and went to the third spot. We weren’t 5 minutes away from the truck when I jumped a coyote about 10 yards from me. It took off running and I couldn’t get a clear shot between the brush. It finally stopped at about 75 yards and stood there broad side looking at me. Only problem was, there was a few branches of a bush blocking a clear shot and I couldn’t get a clear line. So I sent a Varmint Grenade at him, trying to thread it through the branches. Apparently I hit a branch. The coyote took off running and I never saw the bullet splash. I sent two more at it on the run. Couldn’t connect. 

Later in the day on our way back, we saw a coyote almost at the exact spot I shot and missed earlier. There are some cattle in there with new calves. Could be the coyotes are in there for the calves. Buddy shot at about 80 yards and it sounded like a solid hit. Walked out there and there was no sign of the coyote and no sign of a hit. He was shooting JSP ammo that time. Not sure what happened there. 

So at the end of the day, one verified but not found coyote hit, and two missed. And a very grumpy badger...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    OH well, better than staying home.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN said:
    OH well, better than staying home.
    Absolutely. We had a great time. Packed turkey samiches for lunch and finished the day off with a few cold beverages. 70 degrees and just enough breeze to keep it comfortable. It was a great day. 
    And no pics. 

Bad Model. 

BAD!!
    Yeah. I know... I know.. I had the phone in my pack. Just kept walking off without it and didn’t get it out to take any pics. 

I should have got a video of the badger. I’m pretty sure it and the coyote were playing when we found them. He wasn’t in a good mood at all. He was entertaining... 🤣
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    Badgering a Badger................. :D

As far as the coyote goes, didnt you watch the roadrunner cartoons when you was younger.
    Wiley E doesnt die...................

Sounds like a great day.... B)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    Badgering a Badger................. :D

Sometimes I'm a bit to literal about things... 

As far as the coyote goes, didnt you watch the roadrunner cartoons when you was younger.
    Wiley E doesnt die...................

As long as he doesn't come stick his finger in the barrel of my gun and blow me up, or drop a piano on me, I'll keep trying... 

Sounds like a great day.... B)

It was a lot of fun.  Gonna have to plan another day to go do it again soon.  I still want to see what those Varmint Grenade bullets will do.