My butt's impression is on my Saturn's seat

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Or maybe the seats impression is on my butt! Just got back from FLA a few minutes ago. Almost 1100 miles each way. Gas gets more expensive once outta Texas heading East.

Traffic jam near Baton Rouge on I-12 lasted over an hour. It seems the "Night" construction crew was over four hours late in finishing a job, so it was down to one lane and at a crawl and it was foggy. Traffic was getting thick at Beaumont where I zig-zag on back roads to avoid Houston and Austin. Got to Temple and I-35 looked backed up North-bound and slow heading South for the few miles I was on it.

I stop at about the halfway point, I'm too old to be driving much over 500 miles in a day.

I had practically something to do around around the house in FLA almost every day. clean gutters, install new motion light fixtures/lights, trim palm trees, clean/straighten-up garage, patch back porch screen (damn tree-rats!) and finally take a gander at my FLA stash of reloading stuff.

I'm still going through stuff my late brother left me. I brought back several pounds of "Reloader" powder different numbers , few hundred hard cast .45 acp bullets, swapped out some guns and so forth. I swear I must have a couple thousand bullets I must go through there. I found two tumblers and no less than five different reloading presses (I have a the Dillon here already) and several thousand primers.

So I talk to my SIL (late brothers wife). it seems they found several more rifles my brother had in their attic. My nephew has no use for them and so she asked if I could dispose of them. Apparently a raccoon got into their attic and they went up to see the damage and found them. I think one is a Finnish Nagant and maybe a Swedish Mauser short rifle. I'm waiting on pics so I can put a value on them and either buy them for myself or tell them about what they should sell for. I didn't have time to get down Fort Myers way where they live this trip.

Anyhow, I'm glad to be back in Texas, safely! The nuts are already hitting the roads and I didn't want to wait until New Year's eve to travel.

However, the best news is Mrs Chief is doing much better and getting to the end of what she calls the "Dr Dance". One day she had three appointments, Gastroenterologist, Diabetes Dr and "Vampire" Dr (Hematologist). So I plan to bring her back in March after I attend a Logistics course in Huntsville ALA.

Life goes on in the fast lane :tooth::usa:
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Glad to hear Mrs. Chief is doing well. Hope she's 100% soon.

If I drove that far you'd have to get me out of the seat with a pry bar and winch.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • NyGunownerNyGunowner Banned Posts: 328 Member
    1100 miles would be a one day for me, with maybe an hour cat nap midway. My son is about 1450 miles from here, in Port Charlotte, and I have done that in one shot but don't advise it. YES the trip gets longer each time.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,032 Senior Member
    You need to shoot that Finnish Nagant before you think about doing anything with it, those are usually the best of the best.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    You need to shoot that Finnish Nagant before you think about doing anything with it, those are usually the best of the best.

I know, but I'm afraid I'll never want to shoot my 6 Russian MNs if I get one that don't have to be man-handled :tooth::guns::usa:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    NyGunowner wrote: »
    1100 miles would be a one day for me, with maybe an hour cat nap midway. My son is about 1450 miles from here, in Port Charlotte, and I have done that in one shot but don't advise it. YES the trip gets longer each time.

I grew up in Fort Myers. 500 miles is about my limit in one day anymore. I did drive the 800 miles or so to Huntsville/Redstone Arsenal ALA for a school earlier this year going and coming in one day, but it's not something I'd want to do very often.
    Glad to hear Mrs. Chief is doing well. Hope she's 100% soon.

If I drove that far you'd have to get me out of the seat with a pry bar and winch.

I'll tell ya that stretch between Pensacola and Tallahassee seems twice as long as the 180-200 miles that it is. Of course, I-10 gets old quick. I'm always glad to get off of it, but then again glad to get back on it after slower back-roads. One good thing about Texas is you can drive 60-70 MPH (posted) on most two lane side roads.