Home Main Category Hunting

Iowa archery buck down: the Traix helps me score my new personal best

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,150 Senior Member
With a snowfall looming and the rut in full swing, me and a buddy went to bow hunt his newly purchased Iowa property.  We've seen some great deer the past few times out, but not quite had the angles or distance we needed to seal the deal.  

This morning a deer started moving in toward my stand fairly early. It took me a while to realize that this was a buck that I had seen before, but did not previously have a clean shot.  At about 7:00AM this morning, he moved in much closer.  The problem?  Just as a drew, he decided to stop and make a fresh scrape.

So for over a minute, I had to hold my draw and wait for him to clear the branches covering his vitals.  Finally, he offered a clear path to his ribcage, slightly quartering at just 13 yards.  At the arrow's impact, he darted up a nearby hill (snapping my arrow, which was gaping out of from behind his leg), and stopped suddenly at 35 yards, just 22 yards from where he was hit.  A couple of seconds later, he went down and stayed down.  The Mathews Triax got it's second deer overall and its second Iowa deer for the season.  Best of all, this is my personal best buck - a 10-pointer with split brown tine, light palmation and a weird kicker point that's just plain cool!

The 125 gr, Rage Hypodermic that I have cursed in the past is, well...forgiven.  That's now two good, fast kills it has made this season.  This one was a no-doubt hammer shot that opened a staggering entrance hole, and a small exit hole where it *should* have penetrated completely if not for impacting the offside leg:

One thing to note about Rage blades is that once deployed, they aren't terribly tough.  The blades do some devastating damage because of their wide span, but often break.  The good news is that they are easily replaced with a relatively cheap overhaul kit.  The one used today is already all set up with new blades and back in my quiver:

After I climbed down, I went over to check out the size of the scrape that the buck had just made moments earlier:

Needless to say, I was a happy camped on the ride home.  I'm tagged out in Iowa and leave for my annual Montana trip tomorrow.

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    You sure do get on some nice animals, that is one cool buck. Did he react at all to your bow release or is that bow living up to its hype?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,150 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #3
    Thanks a lot.  This was a very lucky break on a phenomenal piece of private land that made this hunt possible.  I was seeing shooters regularly out here, and even had a smaller buck and two does walk by me at 20 yards once I was on the ground next to my deer, calling in my kill to the state!

It's living up to the hype completely.  The first Iowa deer (a doe) that I shot with it at 30 yards, and it did not try to duck the arrow at all.  That has never happened for me with my older bows, save for one deer that I had the benefit of a loud jet to cover the release sound. With my older bows, I always aimed in the bottom 1/3 of the deer, presuming that it was going to start to duck as the arrow arrived.  Not the case with the Triax.

If you watch video, above, you'll see that it takes the deer a moment to realize that he's hit before he starts running.  
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Great buck!   Well done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    That is a really nice deer! And not just the rack, he's healthy and fat.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Congrats Luis, NICE buck :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Thanks, fellas!  This was definitely a big, fat buck.  It's always interesting when you open up a buck like this and have a hard time field dressing him because of the big chunks of hard, white fat blocking your view to everything.
    Yeah, the tradeoff with those rear-deploying blades is that they have to share space inside of the ferrule when stowed, which means they have to be pretty thin/weak.  On the flipside, I also use the VERY tough Slick Trick fixed-blade broadhead, and when an arrow breaks off inside of the deer, all bets are off: that razor sharp mass is going to be floating around in there...somewhere.  That's more rare with a fixed blade because they almost always completely penetrate, but stuff happens.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    Great buck, Luis.  He looks huge.  Any idea how much he weighed?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited November 2018 #10
    Great buck, Luis.  He looks huge.  Any idea how much he weighed?
    Thanks, Jerry!  He definitely is huge and I wish I knew the weight.  "Heavy as hell" is a good, rough estimate.  I took him to the taxidermist, but his scale was not available.  At the very least, he will age the deer for me when he can get to the molars.  Just repositioning this buck for a picture before I field dressed him was a serious chore to do solo.  It took me and my buddy a good while to get the buck out of the valley where he went down, even using a cart.  

We eventually got close enough to run about 70 feet of chain to the game cart and pulled it up the rest of the ridge with my truck.  Of course, that was the last tiny stretch of a painful experience.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,503 Senior Member
    Very happy for you.  Great shot, pics, and story.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,862 Senior Member
    Nice buck Luis!   That'll be a fine mount.   It was also a great story.   I'll keep you updated on roosters up here.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,720 Senior Member
    some deer, hey
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Thanks, again, guys and sorry for the delayed reply.  We’re on the road to Montana and in Souix Falls, IA right now scrambling to make up lost time due to a snow slowdown on the way out of Nebraska.  

Keep an ear out for me on the way back, Bellcat.  I may be able to say hello on the way back through.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member
    Nicely done. deer must be getting going, neighbor just showed me a pic of the ten point he got a couple of days ago. Very similar antler structure but no forked brow tine. Jealous does not adequately describe my feeling right now :p  

Sako
    edited November 2018 #16
    Tom - it is absolutely nuts right now everywhere, it seems.  The bucks are running wild with this cold snap and I’m hearing lots of reports of great bucks dropping from all over the country.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Very nice buck! We had a couple inches of snow, and I'm getting out in the morning. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL said:
    Very nice buck! We had a couple inches of snow, and I'm getting out in the morning. 
    Do it!  This has traditionally been my best week.  There are good vibes around at the tail end of the first week/early second week of November.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Our rut is kickin' in right now. I'll be in a tree stand on my property before sunrise. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL said:
    Our rut is kickin' in right now. I'll be in a tree stand on my property before sunrise. 
    Pics!!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,053 Senior Member
    Dude, that is quite awesome. You have been blessed with amazing opportunities to experience different places and game. 

Enjoy your blessings. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Dude, that is quite awesome. You have been blessed with amazing opportunities to experience different places and game. 

Enjoy your blessings. 
    Thanks so much.  Hunting offers so many unique and amazing experiences and I feel a bizarre obligation to see as many as I can before old age or the Grim Reaper decide that it’s no longer possible.  

In the same light, I admire the hell out of how many different guns and methods you’ve managed to shoot deer.  That’s a serious portfolio and a unique knowledge set you’ve built along with it.  I could never hope to come close.  
    Just to follow up, the taxidermist got around to taping my buck today and he scored 139.75” of antler B&C.

He is sending off the teeth for aging, but it will be a solid 10 months before I get the results back.
    edited November 2018 #24
    cpj said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Just to follow up, the taxidermist got around to taping my buck today and he scored 139.75” of antler B&C.

He is sending off the teeth for aging, but it will be a solid 10 months before I get the results back.
    Enlighten me. 
    The conservation agent that took samples to test for CWD had a look at the kids deers teeth and said it was 1.5 years old. Didn’t appear to be a 10 month process. 
    Most of your wildife agents at those check stations are literally just guessing based on the deer’s size/antler characteristics.  The reality is that this can can be wildly inaccurate because body and antler size varies dramatically.  

Think of it like seeing a 16 year-old high school football player who is 6’2”, 220 lbs. and muscular versus a 50 year old electrician who is 5’8” and 160 lbs. soaking wet.  While deer do tend to get bigger as they age, there’s no set rate or max size.  

In fact, I dropped off my deposit at the taxidermist today and he was skinning a MASSIVE buck with a huge head that had *7* points on one main beam (6 on the other) before breaking one off.  One would think this was a 5-6 years old deer based on size and antler structure.  He checked the molars, which offer a more accurate age estimate (and which the lab will check scientifically) and determined that the buck was unlikely even 4 years old!

True deer aging requires a lab analysis that I’ve never done before.  This one that I shot in Iowa is first that I’ve felt was worth waiting to find out.
    edited November 2018 #25
    For me, it just sheds light on how tough deer aging can actually be.  I’ve made my fair share of guesses over the years.  I called one at 3.5 - 4 years.  We’ll see if I was right sometime next Fall.

Oh, and if you find a good tutorial on that deer teeth/knife scales thing online, let me know.  Sounds cool.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,580 Senior Member
    How did I miss this?  Awesome buck, Luis!  
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    Wow, congrats that's a heck of a buck.  His rack had some awesome character!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Thanks, again, fellas.  This buck is becoming more and more special to me as the days go by.  The taxidermist finally had time to green score my deer, and he taped out at 139.75", putting him firmly into the Pope & Young record book.  

I have to wait 60 days for him to dry and have him re-measured before the record can be submitted.  He'll assuredly shrink a bit, but will clearly stay above the 125" minimum required to make the book.  He won't be anywhere near the upper echelon, but I think I will submit him just to say that one animal that I killed with a bow in my lifetime is a formally recognized record holder.