Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fresh tuna is amazing!

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
Last Monday Debbie and I and some friends converged on Venice Louisiana to go tuna fishing and although we didn't fill our coolers as we had hoped, we did land a few small yellowfins and had enough for a few meals. Last night I rolled a loin in fresh cracked black pepper and seared it in a cast iron grill pan and served it with a mock hollandaise sauce and rice pilaf, and green beans. I had almost forgotten how delicious fresh tuna was. Jerm, have y'all eaten any yet?
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,078 Senior Member
    Oh Man, it doesn't get much better than that!!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    I like to eat it super rare or raw, so I got it in the freezer to kill off any potential parasites. When I do pull it out, It will be lightly seasoned and seared with a MAP torch. I am looking forward to it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    The pickled eggs are half way gone already though. Damn those are good!
    -Thomas Paine
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,493 Senior Member
    The best tuna I have had was fresh caught that afternoon and then placed in what I seem to recall being vinegar for a while.  Then seasoned with a little salt and pepper and enjoyed.
    I may as well leave this here. This was a collective effort to catch by everyone on the boat... Fishead, Debbie, Nicolai, Ana, me, and our charter captain. I was reading the regulations the other day and a "keeper" blue marlin is at least 99" long. Between the blue marlin, white marlin, sailfish, and some other species, they only allow a combined total of 250 to be caught a year in the entire Atlantic. This was about a 250 pounder and it kicked every one of our asses. While poor in tuna, not very many people ever get to catch a fish like this. It was pretty amazing.

-Thomas Paine
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,493 Senior Member
    Nice fish.  Glad to see that care was taken when removing the hook and ultimately releasing it.  I have seen too many videos where they just pull the hook and let the fish go without any other care for the fish.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,197 Senior Member
    Nice. I would love to fish offshore, but my motion sickness is way to bad. I would be chumming out there.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Awesome catch
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 362 Member
    NIce eating . I'm hoping , the friend , will have a bit to share this week too!
    If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    One of the few things I miss about living in California is tuna fishing every season. We'd catch a fish and cut sashimi on the boat. A bowl of soy and/or ponzu with a healthy chunk of wasabi. Less than a hour after the fish was landed. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,742 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #12
    I like to eat it super rare or raw, so I got it in the freezer to kill off any potential parasites. When I do pull it out, It will be lightly seasoned and seared with a MAP torch. I am looking forward to it.
    I don't know if the facts in this article fit what you did with your fish, but as a former student of parasitic diseases in the Army and in college, I would be very careful about eating raw or under-cooked fish. The article goes on to say that freezing does not kill most bacteria. You are taking a huge chance with what you are doing.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,134 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #13
    CaliFFL said:
    One of the few things I miss about living in California is tuna fishing every season. We'd catch a fish and cut sashimi on the boat. A bowl of soy and/or ponzu with a healthy chunk of wasabi. Less than a hour after the fish was landed. 
    I agree with the OP and the above. I always carry soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger on the charter boat  to take advantage of any opportunity that presents itself.

Talking of fishing, did 2 charters on the weekend, both were 3am starts.
    Fishing was great.
    Here are a couple of pics of what I brought home yesterday.

The Snapper in the second pic was just over 32" and weighed nearly 15lb.

I might have to get a bigger bin.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    edited November 2018 #14
    I don't know if the facts in this article fit what you did with your fish, but as a former student of parasitic diseases in the Army and in college, I would be very careful about eating raw or under-cooked fish. The article goes on to say that freezing does not kill most bacteria. You are taking a huge chance with what you are doing.

I got a freezer that gets to -10. It is vacuum sealed and will stay in that freezer for at least a week. I do the same thing with salmon that I plan to eat rare/raw. Even though I could probably use a tape worm, I think I will skip it. The bacteria-- that doesn't bother me. Heck, my name is Jerm!

Now the barracuda I caught... I got one piece frozen for me and me only to try when I do not have essential plans for the next few days after. If I come out ok, I will let the rest of the family try it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member

I got a freezer that gets to -10. It is vacuum sealed and will stay in that freezer for at least a week. I do the same thing with salmon that I plan to eat rare/raw. Even though I could probably use a tape worm, I think I will skip it. The bacteria-- that doesn't bother me. Heck, my name is Jerm!

Now the barracuda I caught... I got one piece frozen for me and me only to try when I do not have essential plans for the next few days after. If I come out ok, I will let the rest of the family try it.
    Science!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    That article generalized all raw fish but in reality, freshwater fish are far more likely to contain parasites than saltwater fish. I've eaten a huge amount of raw tuna over the years along with quite a bit on the boat not having been frozen but I would never consider eating any species of freshwater fish raw.
    ...it doesn't bother me to eat it right on the boat either. We did that with salmon in Alaska and it was fantastic. The big thing is going through the motions to make She Who Must be Obeyed happy. And if I serve up some rare tuna for my extended family over Christmas, I know for a fact that they won't be getting worms from me.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,742 Senior Member
    That article generalized all raw fish but in reality, freshwater fish are far more likely to contain parasites than saltwater fish. I've eaten a huge amount of raw tuna over the years along with quite a bit on the boat not having been frozen but I would never consider eating any species of freshwater fish raw.
    You're probably right about the fresh/salt water differences, but for me, learning about the parasites that can possibly come with eating raw/uncooked seafood, I would rather pass. There are some parasites that can be consumed with saltwater seafood, I just don't remember the names. Primarily what we studied were from the Southeast Asia vicinity, because the Viet Nam war was going on, and that's why we studied those parasites. Military people were picking them up from eating the local food, or walking around in the swamps, rivers and lakes of the area.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Barracuda is good eats!!!

I've eaten a few and have no problem with it but in the Gulf, most folks consider it a trash fish and the captain on the boat seemed annoyed when I suggested that he keep it.
    Barracuda can be real good, BUT, it is often suggested to not eat them over 3 feet long as many contain toxins that cause ciguatera from eating algae eaters.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,732 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

That's THE way of eating it; grilled very rare comes in close 2nd., and it needs nothing but salt.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Barracuda can be real good, BUT, it is often suggested to not eat them over 3 feet long as many contain toxins that cause ciguatera from eating algae eaters.
    Back in the 50s and 60s  we and other charter boats sold cudas as "silver snapper" at the dock, filleted and skinned, back then people wouldnt eat them or sharks because "they eat people" but they would ask for silver snapper. For those in Miami or So. Fla. the best place to catch them is the "Elbow" sea buoy between Carysfort light and French reef off Key Largo. 

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,684 Senior Member
    Have caught a lot of barracuda and consider it a very good eating fish and so did every one that ate what I fixed. Had a fish fry at work, I brought barracuda and another guy brought walleye.
    At the end of the meal all the barracuda was gone and there was a big plate of walleye left over.
    My last trip to Alaska, they were tossing back the cod we caught.
    -Thomas Paine
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Antonio said:
    CaliFFL said:

That's THE way of eating it; grilled very rare comes in close 2nd., and it needs nothing but salt.

I have enjoyed ceviche (seafood semi cooked with citrus acid) since 1972. I am able to make it myself. In 2007 I was sent to the Army Aviation Support Facility (AASF) Hilo Hawaii. I was offered what a native Hawaiian called atune (spl). It was about 1 inch cubes of raw tuna with a sprinkle of sea salt. It was delicious! I told him that and commented on the freshness. He replied it was "swimming 4 hours ago". I have recreated it a few times. Living less than an hour from the Pacific Ocean I have access to very fresh tuna but not 4 hours!      
    Diver43 said:

To my understanding, the explanation I've gotten about that is that parrot fish eat a coral that contains ciguatera and barracuda eat parrot fish and the poison accumulates in the barracuda's tissue. once they get bigger they can contain a toxic level. I don't concern myself with it here in the northern Gulf because that species of coral along with parrot fish don't live this far north as we're not tropical enough.
    My last trip to Alaska, they were tossing back the cod we caught.
    I love cod!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,732 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 said:

I have enjoyed ceviche (seafood semi cooked with citrus acid) since 1972. I am able to make it myself. In 2007 I was sent to the Army Aviation Support Facility (AASF) Hilo Hawaii. I was offered what a native Hawaiian called atune (spl). It was about 1 inch cubes of raw tuna with a sprinkle of sea salt. It was delicious!.....
    "Ceviche" is a dish prepared differently in each SA country; have tasted different variants (So far other than ours, I can recall Chilean, Equatorian, Mexican and Colombian) and according to people from abroad, due to its simplicity AND ingredients, ours is the best.
    Basically you cut your salt water fish or seafood of choice (White meat with muscular, firm flesh is best desired, although tuna or mackerel works fine too; among most popular here is made out of a local variant of flounder, and if seafood is used, other than seashells or clams, most are lightly boiled shrimp, octopus or others) in thumb or dice-sized pieces that are dropped in a puddle of freshly squeezed lemon juice (A 1-1/2" size diameter variant, usually green and quite acidic that "cooks" the fish after only a few minutes), some salt, freshly cut (In thin semicircular strips) red onion and an a little of chopped local chile (Orange, yellow or red); mix everything, wait a few minutes for the meat to turn white externally and you're good to go.

Foreign variants other than ours use black pepper, orange (Or other kind of less acidic, sweeter lemons) juice, ketchup, shredded fish, longer "cooking" time, etc depending on each region.....not for me; our plain, easier to make on board recipe is my favorite!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,519 Senior Member
    Ceviche is one of the best fish dishes I've ever had.  I've even made my own, with lime and lemon juice. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    Peruvian Ceviche ROCKS.  Antonio has it spot on.  Here in Miami if you want Ceviche that is exactly how you will find it made. Peruvian restaurant or any other for that matter.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,519 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #31
    The problem is that King Mack like other oily fish line Blue Fish do not freeze very well.  If you cook it fresh and in a manner that lets some of the oil drain out of the meat like grilling or believe it or not frying, it is delicious.  Fried fresh Barracuda is AMAZING good eats.  I lived on that and fried King Mack when I was a kid.
    You CAN freeze oily fish.  Most people don't know how to.  We always put them in bags of ice cold water and immediately into the freezer (set as low as it'll go) and had good results.  Fresh is better, but the way we froze fish worked.  Another key is to ice them IMMEDIATELY after you catch them.

If you're one of those animals who just tosses it into a bag and freezes it, well, it'll turn out poorly.
    Overkill is underrated.