Home Main Category General Firearms

Garand Stock refinish

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,664 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in General Firearms #1
Some will love it, some will hate it, but traditional it is not:

Original appearance as seen at the SE shoot...

The original was CMP's attempt to make the non-traditional wood (Hackberry, apparently supplied by Boyd's) look like Walnut. I think it looks better by allowing the Hackberry to be Hackberry - or at least a faux Oak. Its a beautiful wood in its own right, but it'll never be Walnut nor should it try to look like it.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    It looks great! Thats good looking wood. It just needed some love.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    Pretty much - the guys on the various Garand forums really like to bash the Hackberry, but I think its nice!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Coming from you, CPJ, that's high praise indeed!
    The old finish just POURED off like poop with a bit of citrus strip.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    There's a fairly rich pictorial archive of these rifles in the hands of the brave soldiers that carried them. Also an extensive Hollywood movie archive. The guys on that board just want the rifles to like those.

That can't ever detract from your results. Results that will likely be embraced as the scarcity of these rifles increase.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    If its just a replacement stock anyways, what does it matter how the finish compares to original?  I think it looks great.
    edited November 2018 #7
    There's a fairly rich pictorial archive of these rifles in the hands of the brave soldiers that carried them. Also an extensive Hollywood movie archive. The guys on that board just want the rifles to like those.

Of course - and I can respect that completely. Nobody seems to know what the original pseudo-finish was, but it came right off with citrus strip - no scrubbing required. Hackberry is very difficult to stain, a couple of other guys on the Garand forum figured out that it had to be an alcohol based stain, MinWax et al just sit on top of the wood much like the brown crud did.
    But as mitdr774 says, its "just a replacement stock anyway"! Its not like the gun was altered or an original stock with history/provenance was screwed up. A Walnut stock can be put on the gun at any time.

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I get that, but its not an original stock.  Its a reproduction.  To me it has already lost its collector value, so do as you wish.  Now if it was an all original, I would maybe cringe at the idea of refinishing to a no original finish, but its not my rifle.

I have a M96 that was used as a donor for my first rifle project.  I also have a Surplus M96 that will remain as a surplus.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    The original finish on Garand stocks was either Linseed Oil or Tung Oil....(pick one)...later production was Tung Oil...

You did a good job but can't say I'm wild about the glossy finish...but then it ain't my rifle...

Did you get a bayonet for that thing yet?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    mitdr774 said:
    I get that, but its not an original stock.  Its a reproduction.  To me it has already lost its collector value, so do as you wish.  Now if it was an all original, I would maybe cringe at the idea of refinishing to a no original finish, but its not my rifle.

Yes, that's exactly right. Its a reproduction. There is plenty of original GI stocks from the day "out there" that can be installed if desired, or reproduction Walnut that is closer to original.

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    That turned out very nice. I’d be curious to see how tobacco juice would have looked as a stain on that wood. I’ve used that in the past with excellent results.
    Jayhawker said:
    Bottom picture...

edited November 2018 #13
    Its glossy, but a bit more matte than the pix would have you believe - plus it will mattify a bit as it ages. My Enfield stock has done so.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Jayhawker said:
    The original finish on Garand stocks was either Linseed Oil or Tung Oil....(pick one)...later production was Tung Oil...

You did a good job but can't say I'm wild about the glossy finish...but then it ain't my rifle...

Never got the point of a bayonet, other than to say you have a bayonet. 
    If you need to stab someone with your rifle it's a necessary thing...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    cpj said:
    Jayhawker said:

If you need to stab someone with your rifle it's a necessary thing...
    I not only have a rifle, but ALSO a spear!

I like the stock.  I'm surprised they use hackberry.  Hackberry is a fast growing trash tree in these parts that is known for having VERY soft wood.  Hopefully it is a different hackberry.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Looks good!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

I like the stock.  I'm surprised they use hackberry.  Hackberry is a fast growing trash tree in these parts that is known for having VERY soft wood.  Hopefully it is a different hackberry.
    Its definitely considered a "trash wood", but its supposedly very hard... *shrug*

cpj said:
    I have a bayonet.
    Ya know that funny looking lug/protrusion on the bottom front of the bbl? A bayonet covers that up! :D
    I have one for my Enfield too.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Looks better in the "before" pic.  Sorry.  Blonde M1's don't do it for me.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Looks better in the "before" pic.  Sorry.  Blonde M1's don't do it for me.
    Agreed.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    That's OK, its not for everyone. The correct way to "fix" the problem of that stock is to change it out if a dark/walnut look is desired - IMHO.

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    ive never heard of the wood.

But to me what and how you done the work and finish is in my opinion really nice.

Im sure there are purest out there that wont/done like it, but i think it goes nice with the gun.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #23
    Looks good Zorba. Not my style, but then, not my rifle either ;)

The purists long since labeled me a heretic when I put a clamp on "scout mount" scope mount on mine.
    They can beach and moan all they want though, not their rifle.

So it boils down to.. Are you happy with it now?

If you are, then everyone else, including me. can go pound sand <3<3<3

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    That's OK, its not for everyone.

individual is good

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    I like how that stock turned out. It has some VERY interesting grain all through it, especially under the rear sight on the left side. That lighter finish lets it show. That finish will go matte with age, like you said, especially if it gets some sunlight. It looks a lot better now. You done good!

Now with that out of the way, lets talk about why military stocks on rifles are DARK colored. They are dark and matte finished to provide a little camouflage to the rifle, the same as that grey or green Parkerizing on the metal parts protected and camouflaged the metal and kept it from glinting in the sunlight. There's a reason for why things are the way they are, and some have a lot more to do with survival of the troops in battle than military custom. You don't see a lot of military rifles with really shiny stocks and chrome plated metal out on the battlefield; those rifles are for the fancy drill teams.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Looks good zorba !
    All the things we surround our self has to be pleasing to our eye & not done for others . If I want a red stock ..... I will have a red stock .
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    cpj said:

It's handy if you need to stab someone.

Or there's cheesecake.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,693 Senior Member
    I like it; nice grain.

Indeed a correct stock should be a walnut one; most of the M-1s have already been arsenal-rebuilt at least once, so not like you're defacing lieutenant Spiers' original Garand or so. Works as a nice shooter.

Fun project would be returning it to "correct" WWII or Korean war condition by scrounging correct parts online and in shows, but not a cheap, quick enterprise that will add little if any final value to the rifle.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Had an uncle who had a "ceremonial" Garand with bright chrome metal and a stock that looked glossy like that. It shot just fine and he took a whitetail with it one year. Deer didn't care. But now that you're half way, you might as well chrome it too...  ;)
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 355 Member
    Nice job, beautiful rifle. Ping!
    das68 said:
    zorba said:
    That's OK, its not for everyone.

individual is good

That does it! The faux Oak would look much better with that dress!