Home Main Category General Firearms

Garand Stock refinish

2»

Replies

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    I like it! The grain of the wood shows through and the light dark color has a great contrast. I never could figure why Walnut was the only acceptable wood. I never got into collecting like my son did but rescued a number of Bubba's rifles. Birch never looked like walnut no matter how much stain you apply . I had a **** 39 with a birds eye maple that look fantastic. It's a shooter that had an ugly dress, nice tough-up 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    My Enfield is stocked in Birch - and is very pretty! I refinished it with Tru-Oil a few years back, no stain needed.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    I like it, of course you are really the only one that has to like it.
    I redid a stock years ago on a little 22 rifle and after removing the dark stain it looked about like that. The lady that ended up with that stock loved the blond color.
    Nice job!
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Looks good. Lot better than the original.
    Had an uncle who had a "ceremonial" Garand with bright chrome metal and a stock that looked glossy like that. It shot just fine and he took a whitetail with it one year. Deer didn't care. But now that you're half way, you might as well chrome it too...  ;)
    I'm thinking of getting it re-parked.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    cpj said:

Never got the point of a bayonet, other than to say you have a bayonet. 
    It's handy if you need to stab someone.

Or there's cheesecake.
    Well, for civilian use I agree-----------for future military use, who knows------for

crowd control it could have use
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    NN said:
    cpj said:

It's handy if you need to stab someone.

Or there's cheesecake.
    Well, for civilian use I agree-----------for future military use, who knows------for

crowd control it could have use
    I remember the drill for crowd control with bayonets. Step-thrust, Step-thrust.
    It worked with sheathed bayonets on the M-14, but I bet it would have worked better with the sheathe left on the web belt. Sayin'.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #39

cpj said:
    NN said:
    ----------for future military use, who knows------

it works.

The decision was made: the British troops fixed bayonets.

They ran across 600 feet of open ground toward the entrenched enemy. Once on top of the Mahdi fighters, the British bayoneted 20 of the militia. Fierce hand-to-hand combat followed for five hours. The Queen's men suffered only three injuries.

"We were pumped up on adrenaline — proper angry," Pvt. Anthony Rushforth told The Sun, a London-based newspaper. "It'’s only afterwards you think, 'Jesus, I actually did that’.' ”"

What started as a surprise attack on a British convoy ended with 28 dead militiamen and three wounded U.K. troops.

Jihadi propaganda at the time told young fighters that Western armies would run from ambushes and never engage in close combat. They were wrong.

Remaining static was not an option. Firing a rocket at one of the insurgent positions, Corporal Jones ordered three of his men to fix bayonets before breaking cover and leading them across 80 metres of open ground raked by enemy fire.

He continued:

I asked them if they were happy. They were all quite young lads and the adrenalin was racing. I shouted ‘follow me’ and we went for it.

I got ‘Commander’s Legs’ on and was going very quickly. I realised I’d left them behind a bit, so had to slow down and was engaged again, so I organised my guys who started attacking the enemy firing points.

As two of the soldiers provided fire support, Corporal Jones prepared a hand grenade for the final assault. He raced towards an alley and was about to throw the grenade but realised the buildings were occupied so put the grenade away.

But the speed, aggression and audacity of his response caused the insurgents to fall back in disarray.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,733 Senior Member
    I saw one of the hackleberry stained M1s yesterday.  Looked like someone dropped in an outhouse.  Still...I would get a proper walnut stock for it and wouldn't finish it shiny,
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    das68 said:
    zorba said:
    That's OK, its not for everyone.

individual is good

That does it! The faux Oak would look much better with that dress!
    It's spring sir!! :)
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Put me in the I love it category!
    nice job!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    The original looked like a plastic M1 like the ones that came with the 1965 GI-Joe.
    That is "probably" the most complimentary anyone has been of the original. In any event, it does look better IMHO, even if it *is* the "wrong" color! Sandbox special, that's it! Special desert adapted Garand!

I concur, the old finish looked like mud!! Klinger would be proud stand guard duty with the new finish! 
    Big Al1 said:
    I concur, the old finish looked like mud!! Klinger would be proud stand guard duty with the new finish! 
    Only if it matched his outfit!

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Looks way better than the original finish. And way, WAY better than a Garand in a plastic composite stock! You need a picture of you in your yard holding it like the scene from the Clint Eastwood movie where he's holding the Garand and says "Get off my lawn!"
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #48
    Looks just fine to me. My Garand has a birch butt stock and a walnut hand guard and barrel cover whatever you call that piece down by the gas port. I tried staining the light pieces but it didn't work out like I'd hoped. But it looks better than two tone. Of course for the sake of looks and aesthetics I'd prefer getting walnut replacement pieces. But yours looks custom. Good job.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    tennmike said:
    You need a picture of you in your yard holding it like the scene from the Clint Eastwood movie where he's holding the Garand and says "Get off my lawn!"
    You're right - and I should probably do it in my EGA (Elegant Gothic Aristocrat) outfit!