Home Main Category General Firearms

This looks like a good deal on Savage Axis rifles and scope

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
$259.99 after a $60 Savage rebate. At Rural King. 8 different calibers to choose from.

No it ain't top of the line, but sure can be an inexpensive way to get yourself or a family member a rifle ready to go.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Weaver 3-9X40 comes mounted with it. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I just got a BPS flyer in the mail today and they're selling that rifle combo for 239.00 after the rebate.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    cpj said:
    I just got a BPS flyer in the mail today and they're selling that rifle combo for 239.00 after the rebate.
    It’s worth $20, rather, $200, to NOT have to step foot inside a bass pro during a Black Friday sale. 
    The flyer said that their sale starts on Wednesday which would make it slightly less hectic.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,731 Senior Member
    Bad trigger...very bad on the one I had in .243.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
    Bad trigger...very bad on the one I had in .243.
    Well considering that you can get a rifle with a scope for what some of you pay for a trigger alone, I think most folks can get past that.
    I called Savage and they said 8#-11# was acceptable to them.  SoI put a good trigger on mine...great trigger, but the gun didn't group any better.  About 1 1/4".
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    What's the difference in that and a regular Model 10 or 110?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    snake284 said:
    What's the difference in that and a regular Model 10 or

The 10 and 110 are worth the extra, IMO. 
    Especially considering you can't walk past a used gun rack in the country without an assortment of cheap used 10/110's. If you're going to **** around with one,  may as well save a buck
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Apparently we can't use foreign slang for screwing around
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Gene L said:
    I called Savage and they said 8#-11# was acceptable to them.  SoI put a good trigger on mine...great trigger, but the gun didn't group any better.  About 1 1/4".

1-1/4" used to be acceptable for a hunting rifle. Many people consider the "kill zone" on a deer as a 6" circle and 1-1/4" would make it a 450yd deer rifle. Not really bad for a cheap entry level hunting rifle.
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    snake284 said:
    What's the difference in that and a regular Model 10 or

The 10 and 110 are worth the extra, IMO. 
    Especially considering you can't walk past a used gun rack in the country without an assortment of cheap used 10/110's. If you're going to **** around with one,  may as well save a buck
    You can’t here, for whatever reason 
    Seriously?? There are at least 6 just at 1 of the cabelas alone.  That and over priced 700's
    Yea it's getting weird seeing branded stuff in the stores, and all the discount fliers with a barcode for each store.  I don't make it to BPS that much,  I have to travel through traffic hell to get there,  BassProbella's is like 10 minutes from me. 

That makes me wonder,  you can have any gun,  new or used,  shipped between cabelas stores, that's how ive found several deals. I wonder if that now applies to all BPS stores? 
    I will say the cabelas here has become a bit.... proud... with pricing.  But most stuff actually sits around long enough to get a discount.  Or I get various coupons for being a card member. Im pretty sure there are 2 or 3 110's for 349 sitting there at the moment, and a few more under 500. There is a 6.5-284 110 that's been there for almost a year @$549
    edited November 2018 #15
    I have 2 Savage products, a pre accutrigger 110 in 7 Mag and a Model 200 Stevens in .223. They both had crappy triggers. I put a Rifle Basix on the 110 and worked over the Model 200. The 110 is great now and the Model 200 ain't half bad after a little stroking. It's not real light at about 3.5-4 pounds but it breaks clean and crisp. The 110 is excellent breaking about 2-2.5 pounds. I would imagine the Axis probably has a similar trigger to the Stevens 200. Like I said, it can be massaged a bit and it responds well to treatment. But unless you do some spring swapping you aren't gonna get it to a feather state. All I did to mine was lap the trigger and sear surfaces.

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited November 2018 #16
    Gene L said:
    I called Savage and they said 8#-11# was acceptable to them.  SoI put a good trigger on mine...great t,rigger, but the gun didn't group any better.  About 1 1/4".

1-1/4" used to be acceptable for a hunting rifle. Many people consider the "kill zone" on a deer as a 6" circle and 1-1/4" would make it a 450yd deer rifle. Not really bad for a cheap entry level hunting rifle.

And a couple of things to consider, Most deer are killed at less than 100 yards. That doesn't require a Camp Perry accurate rifle. And most people can't shoot tighter than 2 minutes. They go out to the range a couple days before season, shoot the rifle 5 or 6 times, if it will hit a pie plate they're happy. Then they go hunting and maybe score a deer. Not much science there. Of course they go to work Monday morning and their 50 yard kill turns into 150 and it usually grows a couple more points on its rack. You think fisherman are liars, some hunters can put em to shame, LOL!
    So in the end some people think they need a half minute rifle when they don't. Now stretch that distance out to a couple hundred yards or more and accuracy becomes much more important. But for the average situation it's a moot point.
    edited November 2018 #17
    cpj said:
    And here at least at BassCabellas, used guns are STUPID expensive. Maybe the deals will roll in once they become more same-same. Of course since this is the home of the first bass pro, it will ALWAYS be a bass pro. Zero chance of building a Cabelas here now. Only thing I’ve noticed is some cabelas merchandise in the store. 
    No store around here sells "CHEAP" anything, especially used Remingtons. Even in the pawn shops they're over priced. Heck, I see new guns online nearly as or as cheap as most used guns. The best way to find a used gun cheap is buying from an individual or online.
    snake284 said:
    Gene L said:
    I called Savage and they said 8#-11# was acceptable to them.  SoI put a good trigger on mine...great t,rigger, but the gun didn't group any better.  About 1 1/4".

And a couple of things to consider, Most deer are killed at less than 100 yards. That doesn't require a Camp Perry accurate rifle. And most people can't shoot tighter than 2 minutes. They go out to the range a couple days before season, shoot the rifle 5 or 6 times, if it will hit a pie plate they're happy. Then they go hunting and maybe score a deer. Not much science there. Of course they go to work Monday morning and their 50 yard kill turns into 150 and it usually grows a couple more points on its rack. You think fisherman are liars, some hunters can put em to shame, LOL!
    So in the end some people think they need a half minute rifle when they don't. Now stretch that distance out to a couple hundred yards or more and accuracy becomes much more important. But for the average situation it's a moot point.
    Need has nothing to do with it.  I don't hunt, but I expected the trigger upgrade to improve the group.  It didn't change.  I can shoot around a bad trigger, something that surprised me.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Need has nothing to do with it.  I don't hunt, but I expected the trigger upgrade to improve the group.  It didn't change.  I can shoot around a bad trigger, something that surprised me.
    Gene, ya might consider bedding the action, and removing any pressure points on the barrel. Those factory wood AND plastic stocks just sorta kinda fit nowadays. You might have a lot better rifle than you think that just needs some attention to detail that the factory didn't pay attention to.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    I got rid of it, solving all my problems.
    Gene L said:
    snake284 said:
    Gene L said:

Need has nothing to do with it.  I don't hunt, but the trigger upgrade to improve the group.  It didn't change.  I can shoot around a bad trigger, something that surprised me.

Give me a hard trigger and I'll show you bucket sized groups. My old Model 70 push feed in .270 can shoot 3/4 minute groups cause it's got a fully free floated barrel that's pillar bedded and has a 2 pound trigger. Shot placement is your friend and that ol' girl will put it where you point it.