Home Main Category General Firearms

Did Leupold kill the Redfield brand again?

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,147 Senior Member
Looks like the website is pretty much dead:
https://www.redfield.com
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Midway has all of their Redfields as in stock or "overdue" on the backordered ones.  Been like that for a few months.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I just went to the website and it's still there.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I just went to the website and it's still there.
    All you get are manuals and a catalog from 2015.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #5
    I have two of em, and I know several on here that have at least one. They're a hell of a scope for the money. I put one on my Weatherby and one on my .270. I upgraded the .270 to a nice VX-2 4-12x40 with side parallax adjustment. But that Redfield was doing everything I could ask of it. I also have upgraded the Weatherby to the VX-3i 3.5-10x40. But I don't think it was a big upgrade though. That Redfield was very clear. Anyway, they're still in my arsenal and will still serve a good purpose. I'm now thinking of putting one on the new AR and the other is already on my Savage 110 7 Mag. I'm thinking of putting the other VX-3 2.5-10x40 on the .243 as suggested and putting the other Redfield on the new AR. Anyway, that's what I'm thinking this week. Ask me again next week.

But I hope Leupold didn't scrap them, They were great for the money and they seemed to be selling well. And they did give old Redfield fans something to feel good about in the nostalgia department.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    It wouldn't surprise me if the did...there are so many decent quality scopes out there at the same price point it might not be profitable enough to continue business. 

One thing I will say about Redfield...Leupold stood behind them as well as they do their name brand optics. I called them about whether aluminum flip-up scope caps were available for the Red field scopes...was told that the Leupold caps were an interchangeable as were most Leupold parts
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

But I hope Leupold didn't scrap them, They were great for the money and they seemed to be selling well. And they did give old Redfield fans something to feel good about in the nostalgia department.
    The first scope i put on a rifle was a kollmorgan Bear Cub 2 3/4x in 1960, after Redfield bought them i kept using them for years until they started making them in Japan, i still have some ,they were a very good scope for the money.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,250 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    It wouldn't surprise me if the did...there are so many decent quality scopes out there at the same price point it might not be profitable enough to continue business. 

One thing I will say about Redfield...Leupold stood behind them as well as they do their name brand optics. I called them about whether aluminum flip-up scope caps were available for the Red field scopes...was told that the Leupold caps were an interchangeable as were most Leupold parts
    Ya have to figure at that point, if a Redfield is essentially a VXI (or whatever), there's little sense in keeping two sets of badges  and finishing hardware around.  I think the main reason to seek out a Redfield at this point would be to put a period scope on a period rifle.  

Dunno. . .my first real scopes were Leupolds, so I never really developed any sense of nostalgia for the brand.  If it's a Leupy under the hood, might as well just move on.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #9
    I often wondered about the Redfield/ VX1 thing as well when they started bringing the Redfield name back.
        Maybe Bigslug has hit the nail full on or very close to when he mentioned a period scope for a period rifle.
        It's possible the marketing people at Leupold had a strategy somewhat similar as alot of older shooters were familiar with the Redfield name and the added attraction of the Bullet Proof Leupold warranty probably sold alot of Redfields to the target market and others.
         Maybe it was never intended to last longer than a few years and they have hit their targets and consider they will not get much more traction against other brands of similar price and quality so are now pulling back to concentrate solely on the Leupold brand..
    Something to consider anyway.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    It would suck of they killed the brand.  They hit a homerun with the value on those Revolution scopes.  I don’t use mine for much more than muzzleloader and general rifle sighting applications, but they perform extremely well in that regard.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    cpj said:

To my knowledge they were all hecho in the Phillipines (mine was) and they are no more a Leupold than a Weaver is. Of course a Weaver, Bushnell, etc etc etc aren’t but a name on a box with some fancy marketing....  

The Revolution line was/is Made in USA, and the Revenge in the Philippines. 

While I like the line, since they compete directly with the lower end Leupolds I wouldn't be surprised if they get axed. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    edited November 2018 #12
    Yes they compete with the VX-1s but to me that could be a good thing for them. The average Joe Sixpack doesn't know cranberries from apple butter about who makes what. So the deal might go something like this,"It says Redfield on it. It looks like daddys old Redfield. Daddy never bought anything but Redfield so Redfield has got to be good. Yes I want that Redfield on my rifle," so he buys it. That's probably more often the case than not. I just can't see them canning the line. Another line may open a whole nother market. And no matter what label the scope wears, If Leupold owns both labels, it shouldn't matter which one sells more, it's all a sale for Leupold. Did anybody call Leupold and ask?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Just out of curiosity because I carry them in the shop, how do y’all feel about Barska? I haven’t had any complaints but haven’t personally used one either.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Nooooo Barska
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    edited November 2018 #15
    You missed the point, the average Joe ain't like us. I talk to average joes all the time. One guy I know has a house full of trophy heads on his wall (Ok his brother's a taxidermist) and he's an avid hunter, but he isn't a real gun guy. He doesn't even really know the difference in Leupold and Betty Crocker. He says he has five Gold Ring Scopes. He doesn't even now that's a Leupold signature.

What I'm saying is He doesn't know and he's not going to check. All he wants you to tell him is "THIS IS A GOLD RING SCOPE." You could probably paint a gold ring on the objective of a Bushnell Banner and sell it to him. A I would venture a guess that this is a majority of the market. And also this guy is not a computer guy. There's lots of people out there that don't buy on the internet or you wouldn't have brick and mortar stores out there. But there still there and most people buy like that. If you don't believe it go to a Walmart or an Academy on a Saturday afternoon. They will usually be packed with An.

We here on this forum are a minority. We generally know the products and we have faith to buy online. But If I wasn't familiar with the products I would hesitate to buy something online. Call me anal but that's how I am and I know a lot of people like me.

(Wambli Ska: Edited to remove the political reference) I suspect that's the way it is with some hunters or maybe I should say, those that hunt. Some are not really gun people. They just have a gun they shoot once or twice a year and haven't a clue about current products. Anyway, that's my opinion.

edited November 2018 #16
    I finally got through to Leupold. They were sort of unclear on their response. The guy told me they wouldn't be making any new products. I ask him if he meant they will stop making them all but sell what they have left or they will continue to make what they make now but will not introduce new products under the Redfield name. He wasn't clear with his response, maybe by design. Anyway, I told the guy some of our feelings and about putting Redfields on rifles made before say 2000 to make them look period correct. The guy said he hadn't thought of that but it made good sense. Anyway, for now at least, Redfield isn't dead, YET.
    Tried a Barska once... won't be happening again...that sucker didn't veven make it into my "old scope box"...went right in the trash....
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    What were the cheap scopes promoted by the manufacturer several years ago?  I can't remember and don't know if they're still in business.  The attempts of marketing were pretty lame.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Mueller?
    Overkill is underrated.
    cpj said:
    None of the new Redfields I’ve seen look anything like old Redfields. Not gonna be period correct. 
    Got one in the safe right now that's on my .30-30. It was made in 1966 and looks a lot like my Revolutions. Got the same lettering and knurled Ocular lens. But what I meant by period correct is the knurling and lettering on the scope body.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    That reminds me, I put a Redfield on my Winchester model 88. 

I need to shoot the thing. 
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Buffco said:

I must've missed that.  When did you get an 88?? And what is it chambered in?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    edited December 2018 #23
    cpj said:

Well, they are both spelled the same. 

Redfield goes back a long way. Their labeling changed
    Buffco said:
    ?

Buffco said:

Yes you do and what"s taking you so long? That's one of my favorite rifles dude.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Buffco said:

I must've missed that.  When did you get an 88?? And what is it chambered in?

JerryBobCo started posting his. I loved it so I bought one. 1957 make, if I remember correctly. This was 4 years ago or so. I made a post. 

Zee told me I did good. 

Hey! Look at that! This is my 88...gifted to me be an old friend...Pre 64 action in a post 64 stock.
    Scope set up is definitely pre 64...all scope adjustments are made on the mount...no elevation or windage adjustments on the scope at all. It's a .243 too!

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Honda's luxury brand is Acura.
    Infinity is Nissan
    cpj said:
    snake284 said:
    cpj said:

Well, they are both spelled the same. 

Redfield goes back a long way. Their labeling changed 

You’re not the saltiest fry in the bag. 

Neither are you but I don't really want to lick you.
    edited December 2018 #29
    Buffco, that's a great rifle in a great chambering and the Redfield is a damn good scope for the money, You can kill all the deer in Georgia and Alabama with that gun. In fact as far as practical guns go, you have two fine chamberings, the .270 Win. and the .243 Win. and I think I remember you having a .30-30 lever gun of some kind too. You can kill everything the lower 48 and most of the rest of the Continental US with those rifles. Nice collection.
    Jayhawker said:
    Hey! Look at that! This is my 88...gifted to me be an old friend...Pre 64 action in a post 64 stock.
    Scope set up is definitely pre 64...all scope adjustments are made on the mount...no elevation or windage adjustments on the scope at all. It's a .243 too!

Yep, I see the  basket weave checkering gives it away as a post 64 stock. My 1966 Model 70 has the same patterning checkering.
    snake284 said:
    Jayhawker said:

Yep, I see the  basket weave checkering gives it away as a post 64 stock. My 1966 Model 70 has the same patterning checkering.
    The original owner (my friends grandpa) was a bit on the short side and had nipped the stock off...after he passed his son dropped the action into a replacement stock...I have been looking for a pre-64 stock to restore it to it's proper configuration...( Not looking hard but looking nevertheless)